Alienware m11x

Remember the updated M11x is a ULV Core i7, not a regular one like in the Envy, and certainly not a Quad! Still, its much better than the core 2 ULV.

Alienware M11x R2 is now on the US Alienware site with Core i5 and i7 options, but no sign of the i3 yet.

As I expected, the price is a little more for the R2, but not as much as I expected it would be.

Whats weird is that my SSD does 270mb/s read 195mb/s write and only shows as 7.2! I'm guessing it must include burst speed or other ratings too???

what do u have? not intel right?

correct me if i'm wrong, but people choose intel cause it has the fastest random read/write on the market or something like that even though the specs of yours may look better on paper.

my ocz ssd in my acer has a 224mb/s read and 164mb/s write but it is slower then my intel.

i'm to lazy to dig up data but thats why i slapped a intel in my m11x.

Still happy with my purchase. No graphics upgrade=not much performance upgrade, since besides HL2 and MW2, I play older games, surf, process words and mail some e.

So I bought one of these the other day that I am still waiting for with the SU7300, 4GB RAM and 250GB HDD. That one runs default 800Mhz and can be overclocked to 1066Mhz. I am still waiting on that one and this new refresh comes out. Because I got such a good deal on the first one, I think I might just take it to work and use it there and order a new one for home use.

I am looking at the new i7 640UM based one. I think it runs default at 1066MHz and can be overclocked to 1333MHz (up to 2.66GHz for the CPU on overdrive). If this is accurate, then this system should theoretically perform that much better than the previous revision I would think. The RAM that is included says that it runs at 800MHz, but I assume that is incorrect. The RAM on Dell Malaysia shows that it runs at 1333MHz. Do you think the RAM that is included is also rated at 1333MHz? I guess my real question is, should I upgrade the RAM or leave it at 2GB (minimum configuration) and buy the RAM later? I can upgrade to 4GB for $50 or 8GB for $350.

I want to bite on the new i7 but I don't think it will still be able to play my fav game - BC2

Taken from NBR -

i5 1 core @ 1.86ghz, 2 cores @ 1.6ghz and idle is 1.06ghz
i7 1 core @ 2.26ghz, 2 cores @ 1.86ghz and idle at 1.2ghz

Overclock theory

i5 1 core @ 2.17ghz, 2core @ 1.86ghz and idle of 1.24
i7 1 core @ 2.63ghz, 2 core @ 2.17ghz and idle of 1.4ghz

Impressive, but I reckon it still won't play BC2 well.

If you are planning on upgraded your RAM later, like 6-12 months from now, go with the $50 upgrade to 4GB, if you want 8GB now, save yourself some cash and get better performing RAM from newegg or similar sites. You can buy good quality 1033 RAM for $275 or for $295 you can get 1333 RAM. why pay dell $350 for 800 speed RAM? plus tax :)

I do have to say $570 for the 256 SSD isn't bad, but does anyone know which SSD you are getting? if its the corsair (samsung) with TRIM its not a bad deal. I remember when I was looking at the HP laptops I tried to find out what type of SSD it was and they refused to tell me, what great customer service! want to know what you are buying, that is a secret, LOL

I want to bite on the new i7 but I don't think it will still be able to play my fav game - BC2

Taken from NBR -

i5 1 core @ 1.86ghz, 2 cores @ 1.6ghz and idle is 1.06ghz
i7 1 core @ 2.26ghz, 2 cores @ 1.86ghz and idle at 1.2ghz

Overclock theory

i5 1 core @ 2.17ghz, 2core @ 1.86ghz and idle of 1.24
i7 1 core @ 2.63ghz, 2 core @ 2.17ghz and idle of 1.4ghz

Impressive, but I reckon it still won't play BC2 well.

yea i remember playing bc2 on low/medium settings. forgot already since i dont have it installed anymore.

why pay dell $350 for 800 speed RAM? plus tax :)

True. However, I think the RAM that Dell is including is actually 1333, not 800. The Malaysia site lists it as 1333 and the CPU, when overclocked, would run at 1333 so it makes sense. I actually called and technical support told me it was 1333, but who can trust them, right? :p Still probably 50 more than newegg, plus tax... but I can pay over 12 months interest free.

I had to call to try to get the EPP discount since the EPP website had a broken link to the M11x "R2". CS still couldn't get the EPP pricing right so they are going to call me back tomorrow to complete the order.

It has been confirmed that the ram, regardless of its spec and speed, is locked at 800 for the M11x R2 just like it is for the M11x R1 regardless of the cpu overclock. This is as stated in the new manual that is up for R2.

10% off with EPP, not bad, wonder if thats a short term deal or perminant though... I really want to see the specs on the Envy 14 before pulling the trigger on a laptop

Last edited:
what do u have? not intel right?

No it's a corsair model, and with atto harddrive benchmark it gets exactly what it says it should, but the WEI still only gives it 7.2. My 130mb/s R/W hitachi gets a 6. something so I have no idea what it actually tests. Its connected to a 6gb/s SATA port too, so I have no idea why it's so low. It only takes 13 seconds to boot from startup so i'm pleased with it, its just strage that the rating is so low.

Just ordered a m11x r2 through epp (had to call). Got 21% off final price thanks to work coupon code. Configured with i7, 4gb, 320gb, external dvd, and 3 year advanced warranty (with accidental damage) out the door after taxes for 1330.

does anyone have benchmarks on the SSD option for this laptop?

with my EPP Discount its a $513 upgrade, which is cheaper than any 256GB SSD drive you can buy, but what type of SSD is it? does it have TRIM support? I believe I saw a review on Dell.com saying it was only 110 read and 80 write, which in my opinion is not worth it becuase for $600 you can get 220 read and 200 write...

of course buying a SSD and installing it yourself can be a pain in the ass because you have to have an external DVD drive plus a copy of Windows, compared to having it come already installed by Dell

Look back a few pages, the benches are there. RTFT

I went through every single page on this thread and there are no benchmarks for the stock SSD, a few people gave benchmarks for the Intel SSD that they put in after purchase, but I am wondering what SSD Dell is shipping with the unit and what its ratings are. I would rather order it with that one than install it afterwards, but if the performance sucks then its a waste of $500...

AH, my bad. And that came out kinda snarky, sry. Yea, the benches were for a non-stock SSD. Try calling them and asking for the number.

The original SSD that shipped with the M11x R1 had trim on it and is made by Samsung.

yeah I tried that and they gave me the same answer HP gave me a few months ago when I asked them about their SSD in the Envy.

we can't tell you that information! All that is confirmed is that its a samsung driver and supports trim, but samsung drivers can be anywhere from 110/80 to 220/200 read/write... If it was a $100 upgrade I wouldn't care, but for $500, I would expect the better drive but since its DELL, I would guess you are getting the older slower samsung driver.

The original SSD that shipped with the M11x R1 had trim on it and is made by Samsung.

I see you have the 160GB intel in yours (I have that in my desktop as my boot drive), are you finding space to be an issue? On my desktop I have it about 60% full but also have all my videos, pictures, music on a different drive, so I am worried that putting a few videos, all my music and some pictures on that drive in a laptop will be too much, especially since there is no DVD drive, so movies on the go have to be on the harddrive.

I guess for Music I could probably use a 16GB SD Card ($35-$40 cost last I checked).

so this is what they replied when I asked in "live chat"

4:53:33 PM BE_EPP_Rep_Albert B Welcome to Dell's EPP System Sales Chat!. I hope you are doing well. My name is Albert. Please provide your phone number and e-mail where I can contact you in case we get disconnected. How can I help you today ?
4:54:08 PM Doug Hi, I was looking to purchase the Alienware MX11, and was wondering what type of SSD hard drive it uses?
4:54:53 PM BE_EPP_Rep_Albert B We randomly use different SSD brands Doug.
4:55:39 PM Doug well thats not what I wanted to hear for a $570 upgrade
4:56:15 PM Doug with SSD performance is everything, so how would I know if I am going to be sent an older drive or a up to date one?
4:58:43 PM BE_EPP_Rep_Albert B It's an up to date one.
4:59:01 PM Doug so is the performance comparable to Intels SSD drives?
5:00:38 PM BE_EPP_Rep_Albert B Yes that is right.

Hmmm, so when I get mine and it doesn't perform like Intels (which I highly doubt it would), wonder if I can use this chat session for a refund?

I can tell you the drive will be samsung based and will not be as fast as the current Intel or new Sandforce drives. IMO

They randomly use different drives?

...what drive are we going to be using today?
...I don't know, let's flip a coin...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

To be honest, the only thing I have on my SSD are the OS, all my programs, and a few games. If I wanted to listen to music I'd just listen to my mp3 player. As far as videos, I just carry a 16 gb usb stick with everything extra. If only the memory card slot was flush, I would just leave in a 16 gb sd card.

So I'm going to ask again since my question never got answered. Has anyone tried this laptop with a Dell 3007WFP-HC? I assume it would be done with a HDMI to DVI adapter/cable. I'm looking to get one of these, but only if it works with my 30" LCD.

Crazy I am sure it will work. You just need to be sure your DP/HDMI cable has a duallink DVI on the end and thats it.

Ricky is this for an R1 or the new R2 version? If its an R1 I suggest you cancel and re-order. You can get the I7 and 4GB ram for right around 1000$ after tax and shipping.

It's an R2.

[RCKY] Thor;1035810921 said:
Just ordered a m11x r2 through epp (had to call). Got 21% off final price thanks to work coupon code. Configured with i7, 4gb, 320gb, external dvd, and 3 year advanced warranty (with accidental damage) out the door after taxes for 1330.

my friend is thinking about getting one.. be fun to see one up close

unfortunately my local bestbuy has to be one of the smallest lamest ones out there.. the local deals blow everytime i go in... i did manage to see a h50 for 50 bucks once... but didnt get to snag it.. and their selection of laptops is horrible.. not a single alienware model out on the floor.. they did have a asus g73 though

Back