Alienware video array w/ 2x6800 benchmarked

drool, but at a safe distance. (can't get to close or I'll drool on it and have to pay for it)

I think I paid well over $5000 for my Voodoo2 SLI system. Had a monster 19" screen and everything. :rolleyes:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Dually Xeons/6800s
Two two two mints in one!

so are they doing this on some sorta custom 2xagp mobo? or pci-e?

5k.... drats! me prescott melted me credit card :(

it's a custom hardware solution involving two pci-e's, if i remember right, and a third card actually handles the load balancing and output. The third card is a total custom solution they designed./

It would be nice if the benchmarks were a bit more detailed, and even worthwhile, you know to see how fast the cards can actually go... why not do it 1024x768 stock settings and see the score you can get?? Unless they are trying to hide something with the results the showed.

i'll buy one if I win the lottery.

That is kind of impressive, a 77% increase in 3DMark03 at 1600x1200 8xAF 8xAA over a single card.

The 3DMark03 score was probably chosen to release because it got the biggest increase (and it's almost a pure GPU benchmark). Most real games aren't going to get that much improvement.

imagine somebody benchmarking q3 with it lol. 600+ fps at 1600x1200 full-aa/af rofl.

actually, on default settings with the newest cards 3dmark03 has become somewhat CPU limited. you have to crank the settings up to eliminate the CPU limitations

pxc said:
i'll buy one if I win the lottery.

That is kind of impressive, a 77% increase in 3DMark03 at 1600x1200 8xAF 8xAA over a single card.

The 3DMark03 score was probably chosen to release because it got the biggest increase (and it's almost a pure GPU benchmark). Most real games aren't going to get that much improvement.

Why wouldn't real games get much benefit in that?

And 77% is amazing! Think about it, 100% just won't happen, dual CPU's don't even come close to 77% increase for general apps.

This thing was able to produce a good score (even if it is just a synthetic) at 1600x1200 with 8X AA and 8X AF!!!!!

How much more do you want?

/hopes to win lotto

the difference between comparing graphics cards and SMP is that graphics are, by their very nature, parralell processed, that is why we have so many pixel pipelines in modern GPU, as opposed to the ultra high clocks of CPUs. most general apps are not of a parallel nature so dual CPUs won't give you the same sort of boost as dual GPUs does

alienz said:
Why wouldn't real games get much benefit in that?
Games are CPU limited at some point, even though most hit video card speed limits before that.

A pure GPU test like 3DMark03 is the best case and who knows how much tuning the drivers got to even deliver a 77% boost...

I think that dual overclocked xeon noconas will handle the cpu bottleneck fairly well

i wouldnt be surprized if Alienware gets a call from Epic games, with performance boost like this you could probally run unreal engine 3's e3 stuff at very playable frame rates.

this is why BTX is a lot standard; it doesnt allow for motherboard makers to do this. and this is why motherboard makers are retarded, because they WONT do that, even though I would definitly get two cards and do it.

I hope Alienware will sell A64, and possibly, Opteron boards separately. Wouldn't mind paying up to $230 for such a motherboard. On second thought; there's no way I can afford two video cards, hehe.

Here's a quick q. for those that are in the know: How much of an impact does running two pci-e cards place on the available bandwidth of the pci bus?

Is there a performance hit when a 33mhz card is added to the bus bringing the entire bus back to 33 mhz?

I think it's sweet and I loved the sli offerings from 3dfx but as solely a gaming machine $5k is a bit much.

PCI express is a whole new standard. No more PCI bus; each port has it's own bandwidth.

I think this would make more since if it were able to run 60fps at 4800x1200 accross 3 LCDs instead of 200fps at 1600x1200.

am I the only one? :cool:

I kind of doubt thats hurting the bandwidth. I made a thread about the possible of Dual GPU's awhile ago, but no one posted to it so it died a quick, painful death :(

neisius said:
I think this would make more since if it were able to run 60fps at 4800x1200 accross 3 LCDs instead of 200fps at 1600x1200.

am I the only one? :cool:

More sense? perhaps?

I'm with you on that. Imagine silky smooth framerates with surround gaming, like on the
Matrix ship console stations.

:eek:

Is there any news on a mobo with both AGP and PCI-E so someone could emulate this type of performance? Plus, I thought the ALX was running on AMD FX-53, not Xenon (like people are saying). Is this one just a new version coming out soon? If so, when?

I didnt bother to read everything, so I will give you my opinion *Might be BS, but only because of being misinformed*

First of all, I find it kind of dumb that they do not test the 3dmarks with games, to show. I say this because the games will need to be coded to utilize this increase in 3dmarks. This might mean that that AW will have to get patches made for every game to utilize it.

Seconldy, The Price STARTS! at $5000. Need I say more? "WOOT!, Dual 5200?"

Lastly, I must say that AW is greedy. They said when they first talked about it that they would be furthering the technology of Computing. It turns out though that they are patenting this and thus stopping anybody from utilizing this.

In short, AW = Greedy

Grim Incarnation said:
I didnt bother to read everything, so I will give you my opinion *Might be BS, but only because of being misinformed*

First of all, I find it kind of dumb that they do not test the 3dmarks with games, to show. I say this because the games will need to be coded to utilize this increase in 3dmarks. This might mean that that AW will have to get patches made for every game to utilize it.

Seconldy, The Price STARTS! at $5000. Need I say more? "WOOT!, Dual 5200?"

Lastly, I must say that AW is greedy. They said when they first talked about it that they would be furthering the technology of Computing. It turns out though that they are patenting this and thus stopping anybody from utilizing this.

In short, AW = Greedy

Id patent it too. They put the money into it to research it so its only fair they get the compensation.

Wixard said:
Id patent it too. They put the money into it to research it so its only fair they get the compensation.
It's true, it's what business's do, now of course someone could come up wtih another way to get the same results :)

I think Alienware should also ask for a pound of flesh along with the unreal $5000 they want for that puppy. They have really become a ripoff now that they are big. Well at least this overpriced PC from them actually has some new tech with it. Man I love gaming but I would feel a little silly spending $5000 when a $2000 system can still kick ass on any game out there.

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
Is there any news on a mobo with both AGP and PCI-E so someone could emulate this type of performance? Plus, I thought the ALX was running on AMD FX-53, not Xenon (like people are saying). Is this one just a new version coming out soon? If so, when?
ALX systems dont get thier name for being a certain type of cpu, thats thier Water Cooled PC. so it can basicly have any video/MB combo they want aslong as it keeps the water cooling it will be an ALX system . thier currant ALX system is priced a little over 5k without a monitor and its only a single cpu single video solution... the duel setups with thier 800watt psu's.... id say with 2 6800u your looking at a 7k+ pc

Wixard said:

I wouldnt be so mad about the Patenting if they didnt say that they were making this to further the technology in motherboards/computers. It seems rather dumb to make something for technology then keep everybody from using it. See my logic there?

kronchev said:
this is why BTX is a lot standard; it doesnt allow for motherboard makers to do this. and this is why motherboard makers are retarded, because they WONT do that, even though I would definitly get two cards and do it.

WTF? You lost me...or maybe it's because i'm still waking up

i think alienware needs to make a Barebone setup for the ALX so you can buy the watercooled case with MB and PSU. then buy the rest from newegg or zipzoomfly or somthing lol. they could still over price the barebone systems and still make a killing probly more cause then more people would be intrested in buying them

id be more inclined to spend 1000 on the barebone system and build my own rather than waste 6k or more on thiers

i wouldnt mind if they sold this motherboard by it self :)
would be worth it to me.

Grim Incarnation said:
I wouldnt be so mad about the Patenting if they didnt say that they were making this to further the technology in motherboards/computers. It seems rather dumb to make something for technology then keep everybody from using it. See my logic there?

Well ATi says their new cards are the greatest thing ever and they frequently use the line "revolutionary". So Every company does the same thing. Its the job of the marketing department to make it sound as good possible. They'll tell you sand is actually gold if they could get away with it. Look on Intels website for "extreme Graphics" And i bet they call it revolutionary and without equal, touting its features. Now whether or not a gf2mx at 30 bucks is a better deal doesnt matter.

Speaking of Intel, do we need a company thats responsible for "Extreme Graphics' designing a new graphics card slot? Whats up with that? lol.

Back