All HD4870(or HD4870X2) owners with Dual 30" please respond-

Griff805

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have either a HD4870, HD4870X2 or FirePro V8700 and running DUAL 30" monitors at 2560X1600?

I am unable to run both monitors at 2560X1600 with either my HD4870X2 or V8700. I am only able to select a max of 1280X800. However I can run both without any problems on my HD4850 at max resolution.

I have tried every Catalyst and Driver version since 8.9 and tried both Vista and Windows 7 (7068) fresh installs. I have done everything possible, as far as I know to do. It does not make any sense that I can run 2560X1600 on both monitors on the HD4850, but can't on either of the 4870 based cards. Obviously my cables and monitors are fine, since they work on the 4850. I don't have another system with PCIE available to test on right now, but I have a feeling I'd see the same results if I used the card in another system.

So PLEASE- is anyone successfully running dual 2560X1600 res on a single HD4870, HD4870X2 or V8700?

System:
Asus P5Q-Pro
Q9450 @ 3.5
8GB DDR2
V8700 or HD4870X2
(2) X25-M in RAID0
Windows 7 7068
Corsair TX850W

Have you tried forcing it through Catalyst by unchecking use monitor edid for res and refresh max or does it not give you the option?

Doesn't give me the option for that anymore.

Here are some screenshots for added info:

Display1.png

Display2.png

WindowsDisplay2.png

Found that on the V8700 box it lists the Displayport to DVI-D adapter as Single-Link only. Why in the world would AMD do this?? $1200 video card and can't even run 2 monitors at 2560X1600...

Still doesn't explain the HD4870X2. Unless they have the secondary connection as single-link only. Wouldn't be surprised.

Probably because Display Port is very different from DVI and the converter needed probably limits the bandwidth somehow. You can run both if you used 2 display port cables. I don't know what the cost of those cables are, but I'm sure they are similar to HDMI cables. Either that or your monitors don't have a input for it.

Have you tried using the generic pnp monitor driver?

had to rma my 6 month old diamond 4870x2 oc due to it artifacting in windows and bios,got back one that won't drive a single 30" higher than 1280x800,fresh install and everything
what a bummer

yes please respond so I can rob your house because your obviously loaded if you have 2 30" monitors! (j/k ofc I just found it funny)

yes please respond so I can rob your house because your obviously loaded if you have 2 30" monitors! (j/k ofc I just found it funny)

I'm not loaded, it's just tools for the trade. Just like lawn maintenance guys have $6000 mowers. It's no different, just part of doing business.

I got an RMA back from ASUS and still having the same problem.

There is a FAQ on ATI's site that says that 30" monitors that only receive a single instead of dual link dvi signal will only be able to get a max resolution of 1280x800.

Yes, but my HP LP3065 monitors are capable of receiving Dual Link signals. I have been using them fine on dual-link connections on an HD4850. 2560X1600 is only achievable on a Dual-Link connection, my main is at 2560X1600, secondary will not reach it. Even though the equipment is the exact same equipment.

What are you using to connect the second one with? Is it the same setup that you have used successfully on the 4850?

Yes, I can throw in an HD4850 and have both monitors running fine. If I swap video cards to an HD4870X2, secondary will not go above 1280X800. Whether or not I clean the drivers out and even fresh installs, it doesn't change a thing.

i've ran 1920x1200 and 1920x1440 together, but nothing higher then that. Sorry.

Yes, I can throw in an HD4850 and have both monitors running fine. If I swap video cards to an HD4870X2, secondary will not go above 1280X800. Whether or not I clean the drivers out and even fresh installs, it doesn't change a thing.

Have you tried swapping cables and/or monitors to see if the problem follows?

Um try to crossfire the 4870x2 and the 4850 for a second dual link dvi output?

I have no problem running two 24" 1920x1200 reso monitors, but I do not have access to anything larger.

Um try to crossfire the 4870x2 and the 4850 for a second dual link dvi output?

I have no problem running two 24" 1920x1200 reso monitors, but I do not have access to anything larger.

I have done this, it works fine with 1 monitor connected to 4870X2 and 1 connect to 4850. However, I have other uses for my secondary PCIE. I do not want the extra heat and noise in my case either. The 4870X2 should be able to run these resolutions without a problem, AMD's spec sheet claims it should be able to.

strange. i have a 2400pro that does 2 1920x1200 displays easy. you would think dual 30's would be a piece of cake for a 4870x2

im starting to think more and more that maybe your PCI-E lane is set to 8X or something. Try to RESET your bios and try again. If that doesnt work, try to boot up windows xp on a seperate partition and see if it works then.

I swapped the card out with another 4870X2 from a friend. It's from Visiontek I believe. I am now able to run both monitors at 2560X1600 without any problems on that card. Only thing I can think of is that ASUS decided to only support single-link connections on their secondary port. Wish they would have stated this somewhere..

I swapped the card out with another 4870X2 from a friend. It's from Visiontek I believe. I am now able to run both monitors at 2560X1600 without any problems on that card. Only thing I can think of is that ASUS decided to only support single-link connections on their secondary port. Wish they would have stated this somewhere..

this is good to know. i have a visiontek 4870x2 as well, glad to know i won't be short changed down the line if i go dual 30's :)

yet another reason to avoid asus :D

this is good to know. i have a visiontek 4870x2 as well, glad to know i won't be short changed down the line if i go dual 30's :)

yet another reason to avoid asus :D

Never liked Asus, probably never will. Don't get me wrong, they make nice, feature-rich products but:
A) They have terrible support and a disgusting RMA process
B) Asus tends to cheapen up on things like this. WHY?!

I spoke with one of the level 2 techs there earlier today. Told him what the deal was and that I didn't want to waste anymore time and money on another RMA if the card isn't going to work in the end. He told me he was going to speak with the engineers and get back to me. I asked him to confirm with them that they have a tri-fan card that can run dual 30" monitors at 2560X1600. So hopefully I'll be getting a call back tomorrow. I am going to see if they can send an advance replacement so I don't have to wait 2 weeks just to find out if it will work. I doubt it they will, but I'll push for it.

Update:

Finally received my second RMA Tri-Fan 4870X2, luckily i've been able to use a loaner 4870X2 in the meantime. I was surprised to find a retail packaged 4870X2 and it looks to be brand new. This made me actually believe that the Tri-Fan I received would be able to run both of my monitors at 2560X1600, since it was brand new and came in a shiny new box. Well, I simply removed the Visiontek 4870X2 that was currently installed, and put in the ASUS Tri-Fan 4870X2 that I just received. Started up the computer, Vista came up and of course I found that 1 monitor was at 2560X1600 and the other was at... guess what... 1280X800.

So... It seems ASUS has gone as far as creating a card that is not capable of meeting the specifications on it's own box. Not sure what step i'll take next. I'd like to think that I could call ASUS tomorrow and expect them to send out an HD4870X2 TOP edition to resolve the issue, but I'm thinking it won't be that easy.

Spoke with ASUS and told them that this 3rd card is having the same exact issue. I asked for them to just send me their GTX 285 TOP in place of the 4870X2 Tri-Fan because it was obvious that the Tri-Fan model is not built to spec- They said that it was not possible to send out a different card till they received the one I just got and verified that the card was faulty.

That's what ticked me off, was the I had specifically asked their level 2 techs to verify this funciontality before they even sent me the 2nd RMA so that I wouldn't have to waste another month of waiting for an RMA. So, now I am here without my video card again, waiting for ASUS to realize that their product is not built to spec.

This will be my last ASUS product unless they drastically change their quality control and support procedures.

thats whack.... Man I was really planning on getting the next series of x2 cards from ATi but I think Ill avoid asus for anytype of video cards for the time being as well. The last motherboard I bought from them was also a downer. Asus seems to be lacking nowadays.

ASUS had a chance to test the card and realized that the card was NOT CAPABLE of running 2560X1600 on one of the DVI ports (yellow port). They would have to flash the BIOS to enable the capability, but it would disable the HDMI support on the port. I use the HDMI as well sometimes, so I just asked them to send me a GTX 285 TOP instead. They agreed and hopefully I'll be done with all this.

So, for all you Tri-Fan owners, know that you will not be able to run a 30" monitor on your yellow DVI port.

Hmm, i'm going to go test this on my asus 4870 dark knight.

Will be pissed if it doesnt work. (although my max res is 1920 x 1080)

Back