All of my new parts are on the way, EXCEPT for psu/case - what to pick?

Venthos

Weaksauce
Well, I've pulled the trigger on my next build. All of the parts are purchased and currently in transit via UPS *except* for a psu and a case. The reason I held off on those two and purchased the rest beforehand is due to NewEgg instant savings. I was planning on an OCZ EliteXStream 1000W when the NewEgg $70 instant savings was removed. Just a day before they added $60 savings to the eVGA GTX 280 I was looking at combined with a $30 mail in. Due to not wanting to miss out on the current savings of the rest of my build, I bought everything up.

So now I need to figure out what PSU/Case I want. I had previously set my mind on a CM 690 with OCZ EliteXStream 1000W. But, I'm incredibly indecisive. It also seems that my desire for a mid-tower limits my choice of PSU. If I go with the CM 690 it seems I'd have to do some modding to allow the cables to route behind the mobo tray and lose out on the bottom fan if I go with anything other than the OCZ. I'd love to hear some recommendations on what PSU you'd chose and what case you'd chose. The size constraints of a PSU that can handle the machine I'm throwing at it is what is causing all of my indecisiveness.

My only major requirement is a mid-tower and that it's black. I would prefer drive bays that are side-mounted for cable management.

The PSUs I've been looking at:

-OCZ EliteXStream 1000W
-PC Power and Cooling 1000W
-Corsair 1000HX 1000W

I've also been looking at these cases:

-Cooler Master 690
-Silverstone FT10B

I'm entirely open to any other PSU/Case recommendations.

For the purposes of knowing what the case must handle and what the PSU must handle, the machine the PSU/Case will be paired with will be (all of these parts are purchased and currently on the way via UPS):

-Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
-6GB Corsair DDR3 1333
-Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard
-2x (SLI) eVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition
-Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB
-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
-Samsung S223Q DVD Drive
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

I would get the FT10B and the HX1000

ditto. the CM690 is a good case for the money but I can't stand the entire mesh front, especially with LED lights. seems a little tacky. Besides that I think its a very good case.

ditto. the CM690 is a good case for the money but I can't stand the entire mesh front, especially with LED lights. seems a little tacky. Besides that I think its a very good case.

Hell, I have a CM690, but I'd get the FT10B. The 690 is good value for money, but if you are willing to pay the 200 for the FT10B, then by all means do so, since it is a superior case.

Yeah I would agree with abouve hx1000 and the silverstone, never used the silverstone but owned the cm690 and it was cramped and as stated above kind of tacky/childish, thats my opinion.

Hehe, sounds like a pretty overwhelming response. Is the Corsair really that good? I was siding with the OCZ simply because of its single-rail as opposed to Corsair's two rails.

Hehe, sounds like a pretty overwhelming response. Is the Corsair really that good? I was siding with the OCZ simply because of its single-rail as opposed to Corsair's two rails.

The rails are properly balanced, so it's a non-issue. I'm a huge single rail advocate, so for me to say that really means something. Were I buying a 1kw or higher rated PSU I would only be looking at three supplies, and this would be my order of preference:
1. Corsair 1000HX
2. Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
3. Silverstone 1000w

Get the Corsair 1000HX and the Silverstone TJ09 (hands-down the best mid-tower, at least in my opinion).

Here is a picture of a rig using a TJ09, Corsair 1000HX, and 2 280 GTXs (so you can get an idea of how sexy it looks)

IMG_0307.jpg

I have both the Lian Li pc-v1200b as someone said earlier, and my first build was with the RC690. I have also seen the TJ09 in person too, both the LiLi and the TJ09 are great cases. The RC690 is going to be cramped esp if you're looking @ the HX1000, that's what I have in my v1200b.

Thanks for the input, guys. I pulled the trigger on the Silverstone FT01B-W and Corsair 1000HX. Finally, after about 2-3 weeks of indecisiveness and going back and forth on all the various parts of my build, all the parts are on their way.

What do you think, slight improvement from my current Socket 939 AMD 64 X2 4800+, 2GB DDR 400, GeForce 8800GTX? ;)

that's awesome man. i had to go through all those agonizing decisions for my last build too. went from 3800+ X2, X850XT, 2GB, and silverstone TJ06 to a E8400, HD4870, 4gb, and best of all a TJ-10. probably spent the most time deciding which case to get but the TJ10 was well worth it. enjoy your build.

I pulled the trigger on the Silverstone FT01B-W and Corsair 1000HX.

Congrats with your conclusion for compoents.

You asked if the Corsair was any good...Of course it is. I've seen i7 builds here use primary Corsair's TX1000 PSU.

Back