All you RAM overclockers, how do you cool your ram?

Well, I posted pics of my modded mobo on DFI's forums, and asked them if I still had warranty (I was expecting a 'no'), but the adin told me that as long as I keep the original chipset cooler, it's fine.

Here are the slot covers, and the heatsinks I used for the mosftet sinks. They're FrozenCPU ramsinks... although they are made by some no-name company, they're the best (most surface area :D) I've ever seen. Cheaper than OCZ too. I basically just cut them up and that was that.
img00186bo.jpg

Ok I promised to show what the weird slot cover on the bottom PCI slot was for; this should provide suffecient explanation :D

Also, here's a pic of the alleged ramsinks in action (well, sort of) on my x800xtpe. Damn, there's a lot of metal on this thing :eek:.

And here's a couple pics of my modded Zalman fanbus. I got rid of some useless letters on the frot (such as www.zalman.com) and such with acetone. Painted over the black frame on the back, in front to make it look like optical drive bezel plastic texture, not something SHINY!.. and I had the knobs milled down to 7mm for me, to fit under the door on the case.

Also using my own screws here. Using the same type of screws for just about anything - securing the window, fans; you name it! And I had to mod the flip switches too. Originally, I just wanted to cut them short, but OH NOZ! They are hollow inside, and inside there's a spring. So I had to plug the holes with little scews salvaged from an old calculator. :D

Oh yeah, and here's the crest from the door on my Powmax Dem...err, Cyborg. This thing took bloody ages to do, so here's a pic!

That is all. Also, who else here thinks that I should get my own casemod thread? :D

you definitly should.
though it looks like you'll need a fan with a lot of pressure to get air inbetween those slits in the metal on those heatsinks... they look awesome otherwise.

and that pic doesn't really explain the blue things.

(cf)Eclipse said:
you definitly should.
though it looks like you'll need a fan with a lot of pressure to get air inbetween those slits in the metal on those heatsinks... they look awesome otherwise.

and that pic doesn't really explain the blue things.
Which heatsinks are you talking about?
The blue things are just covers for the slots. They're also UV reactive :). The one on the bottom PCI slot, is a small one, and it only covers a little bit. That's because my relay card goes there (and it doesn't occupy the whole PCI slot, just the larger portion).

BTW, I revived and hijacked the thread! Go me!

hahaha, i see.
and i mean the copper ones. that are on your voltage regulation and video card ram. there's so little space between the fins.

and as a side note, my ballistix are actually cool to the touch with this fan on it. i may do a bit more tweaking though. and i have a ton of deskspace, i might be able to take it out of my case if i'm careful with it.

you'll probably find that they get really hot after a while then. it's a lot of thermal mass to heat up, but once it gets hot.. it's gonna be that way until a lot of air flows over it.
and plus, why no fan if you've got 3 on your system ram? seems like unfair treatment to me ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
you'll probably find that they get really hot after a while then. it's a lot of thermal mass to heat up, but once it gets hot.. it's gonna be that way until a lot of air flows over it.
and plus, why no fan if you've got 3 on your system ram? seems like unfair treatment to me ;)
Nowhere to put it. Well, I could come up with something, but I just haven't thought of it before.

Hmm. I think Sunon makes 20x20mm maglev fans. You think that will do the job? A lof of fans, but still... I don't want to have any fan cards.

bleh, 20mm fans will move shit. haha, just try to figure out a way to secure a normal 80 or 92 onto the card blowing over everything. keep your voltage regulators cool too.

or maybe you can try to find a way to transfer heat from the heatsinks to the water block?

probably not ;). Comes to think of it, I should have just got a large heatsink, and cut it into an L-shape and then stick it on the memory chips. Oh well. I suppose I could use heatpipes to transfer the heat to the waterblock, but that would be WAY too much work. I mean, I'd have to buy a pipe bender for starters. And obtain some heatpipes. And then take the ramsinks off, drill holes through them, bend the heatpipes into the correct shape and solder them in. Bah.

Yeah, I checked and the fans cost $10 each. I don't really want to pay $80 for 8 tiny fans. LOL... well each moves 1.5CFM.

80 mm? Interesting... I think sunon makes very slim ones (like 10mm or so). Go sunon! I'm a sunon fanb0i now. I'm going to change my name to sunon.

About the 80mm fan.. that's a good idea. I could get slim ones and mount them directly on the card.

I'd get PCI slot blower, centrifugal fans have insane pressure compared to normal fans which just wimp out with any minor obstacle.

I could buy a blower all by itself... but where would I put it??? Besides, they're very loud :(.

I mean what are the dimensions of the blower? So i can get data for it.

haha, sheesh iddqd... it's right on the page i linked to before. click on the link that brings you to 'specifications' :D
though note that since it's a relatively quiet fan, the pressure isn't anything astounding, but it goes up as cfm goes down, which is nice. (i deduced this with the very scientific "place hand over vent" test)

i think the blower fan itself is 70x15, but i could be slightly off.

(cf)Eclipse said:
haha, sheesh iddqd... it's right on the page i linked to before. click on the link that brings you to 'specifications' :D
though note that since it's a relatively quiet fan, the pressure isn't anything astounding, but it goes up as cfm goes down, which is nice. (i deduced this with the very scientific "place hand over vent" test)

i think the blower fan itself is 70x15, but i could be slightly off.
That's interesting - my 120mm fan generates about 0.2 inch-h20 static pressure, while that thing only 0.07. Hell, even the larger ones (the noisy 120x30mm blower I was talking about) generates about 0.9 inch-h20. I just checked Sunon's webpaeg of doom, and the 80x80x15 (really slim) fan that does like no CFM and 28 dBa still does 0.09 inch-h20 of static pressure. So the pressure on that blower is basically... negligible :D.

MaMMa said:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=100096

Those things are really nice and quiet, its made for Lian Li cases but riggin' is very simple. They are quiet as well.

One thing that sucks is that they used to be $5 now its 25~!!!!!!! :eek:

Thing blows a lot of air and its quiet what more can you ask for?

20 dollar increase, OUCH!
Neh. Getting a blower is no object - I could get one with pretty much any spec I want. Just contemplating the "if"'s. If Eclipse's blower is good enough, then so are slim 80mm fans - they have virtually the same spec, except they push a bit more air.

the thing i really like about the blower is that you can put it just about anywhere without having to worry about wires in the fan.
and the air that comes out is focused onto a relatively small area compared to the axial fans. maybe this is why i thought there was so much more pressure coming out of mine, even though it really is meant to be a silent solution. *shrug*
it works well for me. keeps the ballistix cool to the touch. ;)

man, no offense to some of the peeps that have posted pics of their memory cooling setups but those setups really look ghetto. :p

(again, take no offense...)

Some people have setups that's much more ghetto than yours. You have a real case, for one. I've seen this guy, he hung his rig on the wall, because he has nowhere else to put it.

haha, you realized that we are two of three people who posted pics in the thread. so therefore he must be referring to us :D

and the setup.. is getting interesting. i'll have some more pictures up in about 15 min

Back