Almost all GTX 780 Ti's on hold in Hong Kong due to burning issues

psyside

2[H]4U
According from a user on OCN, and some users on Chiphell, there was more then 6 reports for cards being burnt in Honk Kong, and on the Chiphell forum.

900x900px-LL-a82fac21_Untitled.png

900x900px-LL-a9b8c4b2_Untitled1.png

Premium cards, premium cooling! :cool:

So there is an issue with current 780 ti's or was there just a bunch accidently destroyed?

So there is an issue with current 780 ti's or was there just a bunch accidently destroyed?

Don't know, more then 6 owners reported cards was burned at Chip-Hell forum...i think it was mostly Galaxy cards.

they probably put AMD's 290 chips in the cards by mistake causing it to catch fire and explode once temps passed 100C

LOL, and they say the 290/290x are hot as hell. At least they arent burning up like the 780ti?

Kidding aside, we need more proof then a few people in China complaining about it.

This is what happens when you get caught off guard by the competition and just try to crank up everything on your current product to compete...

Ouch, those scorch marks look nasty. I hate to see anyone lose money like that.

One picture on a Chinese website,( and not even one that proves its a 780ti ) would not cause me to much concern if I had one of these cards........

Plenty of our members have bought them, I'm sure we will hear first hand if there is really a problem

President Madagascar, someone sneezed in Brazil!

Centralfield: Shut. Down. EVERYTHING!

Prob AMD trolls lol.

It's china, you can't trust anything from there.

probably knock offs :D

You guys were actually right and you might have been joking.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440518/various-geforce-gtx-780ti-reviews/1000#post_21166984

The burnt card was a 7970. AMD trolls indeed.

The person who started it has already been banned from chiphell. I wonder why they would try to fabricate such a story.

Last edited:
Not at all, its a factual statement made in reply to a non factual statement.

read the post and then the reply and if it does not make sense, maybe you're high..:D

Nvidia doesnt make drivers? Or are you saying the programmers do? I always download my drivers from Nvidia website

Nvidia doesnt make drivers? Or are you saying the programmers do? I always download my drivers from Nvidia website

Im guessing it went over everyone's head.....

In response to this
Yep, drivers made from Nvidia :D

I wrote this
Cookies are made from dough, but drivers are not made from Nvidia.

The drivers are made BY Nvidia,not FROM Nvidia....

anyway, the funny was apparently lost or missing, but I got a laugh out of it...:D

But then there's that official looking Galaxy recall of 55 cards of 780Ti in China, something about metal sticker on mosfet. Either way, sounds isolated or hoaxed.

They cant just design a card and prepare everything for launch in a week.
How do ppl come to these conclusions :F

Im guessing it went over everyone's head.....

In response to this

I wrote this

The drivers are made BY Nvidia,not FROM Nvidia....

anyway, the funny was apparently lost or missing, but I got a laugh out of it...:D

Oh, HAH yea i get it. Sorry :p

I tend to put my own words in sentences as I read them.

This is not a GTX 780Ti posted in these photo's... It is a Reference Tahiti PCB of some sort...
original image.

LL

ref 780ti comparison shot

LL

ref tahiti pcb

LL

I feel sorry for anyone who has actually bought into this terrible fallacy... It takes utter ignorance to look @ these original photo's & not see that it's NOT a 780Ti... The rumor that Galaxy has socketed the wrong chip into the wrong PCB is also next to impossible. @ this point it's almost certain that some one forced this to happen with a piece of wire or paperclip jabbed into the PCI-E slot... I also feel sorry for anyone in Taiwan who is now being delayed shipment of a 780Ti due to this poorly crafted smear campaign against nvidia... If you are going to attempt to discredit nvidia in this fashion AT LEAST BLOW UP A REAL 780 Ti.

The original poster of this info on ChipHell has been banned, & all posts deleted. This is not to protect nvidia, but to not sully the ChipHell name anymore then what has already taken place in the past. You can find a detailed thread of all the comparison photo's @ overclock.net

THE 0NLY THING CONFIRMED @ THIS POINT IS THAT IT IS NOTA 780Ti AND THAT IT IS A REF TAHITI PCB, WE DO NOT KNOW IF IT'S A 7970. PLEASE DO YOUR PART TO SHOW ANY IGNORAMUS BRINGING THIS UP THAT IT IS UTTERLY FALSE IN ALL WAYS SHAPE AND FORM. LET THEM KNOW THIS IS A REF TAHITI PCB.

This is not a GTX 780Ti posted in these photo's... It is a Reference Tahiti PCB of some sort...
original image.

I feel sorry for anyone who has actually bought into this terrible fallacy... It takes utter ignorance to look @ these original photo's & not see that it's NOT a 780Ti... The rumor that Galaxy has socketed the wrong chip into the wrong PCB is also next to impossible. @ this point it's almost certain that some one forced this to happen with a piece of wire or paperclip jabbed into the PCI-E slot... I also feel sorry for anyone in Taiwan who is now being delayed shipment of a 780Ti due to this poorly crafted smear campaign against nvidia... If you are going to attempt to discredit nvidia in this fashion AT LEAST BLOW UP A REAL 780 Ti.

If you read through the thread, you will see that most people were very skeptical....and this craziness also happens at just about every new card release..:)

Bahahah, nice try OP, ya fanboy troll. Why don't you update that title there and try to salvage what little (very little) credibility you have left.

Since the guy likely had an agenda he will likely abandon thread.

Yea, huge agenda.
Bahahah, nice try OP, ya fanboy troll. Why don't you update that title there and try to salvage what little (very little) credibility you have left.

Hey noob, i'm just the messenger, not the source of the rumor, go back to your "green haven" and shut it.

So it seems like there is some truth to this rumour. But only some cards are affected in China & nowhere else.

I have talked with Nvidia PR and it appears that this problem is limited to Galaxy GTX 780 Tis in a certain region due to an illegal change in the reference design. “Not true. Galaxy made an unauthorized change to the reference design that affected 55 of their cards. Nobody else affected.” – Nvidia PR Bryan Del Rizzo

http://wccftech.com/gtx-780-ti-sale-allegedly-suspended-china-design-flaw-gpu-death/

I got the whole story on this and the good news is that this problem only affected one batch of cards produced for the Chinese market.

With all the speculation that's been going on I think you guys will be surprised to hear how simple the problem actually was. These cards failed because somehow the serial number sticker was placed over the back of a MOSFET. Seriously. No faulty parts, no bad GPUs or anything like that. You'd be surprised how many problems a sticker 1" out of place can cause. I'm sure it goes without saying the guy who calibrates the sticker sticking machine has gotten more attention than he's used to recently.

Either way there's no risk of this happening to any cards in North America, Europe, Australia, or anywhere else. Just the one batch in the Chinese market was affected.

Back