Alpha Centauri type of game

The Saint

Gawd
HI Guys.......

I'm looking for a suggestion: my father just loves Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri...! I mean he has been playing it on and off since 2-3 years ago and recelty installed it again.

Now, I told him that there are some great games out there that are not very difficult and can be compared to Alpha Centauri......

Do you guys have any suggestions on games of that type?

The closest games that I can think of would be Master of Orion series and Galactic Civilizations. Or maybe even Moon Colony.
Finding a game that is similar and just as good as Alpha Centauri will be tough. In my opinion, it is one of the top 3 strategy games ever made.

The same people who made Alpha Centauri (I loved that game as well) made Civilization 3. Civ 3 is a great game as well, although it's not Sci-Fi oriented, a lot of what made Alpha great is also in Civ 3 IMO.

Civ 3 is fairly old now, even has 2 expansion packs for it now. Just a quick search on EBgames website shows this:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242986.asp

A Civ 3 bundle for $40, includes Civ 3 and both expansion packs.

If he's looking specifically for Sci-Fi turn based games, Galactic Civilizations as mentioned above was a good game. Even has an expansion out for that too. As for Master of Orion 3, I've read a lot of places that it has tons of micromanagement and didn't live up to it's franshises name. But I've never played it so don't take my word for it on Orion.

heh, did the expansion packs really ever help that game???

i bought civ 3 when it first came out and it wasnt very fun... Alpha Centauri was much better IMO...

really i have to agree with the poster in here, i would rate it top 5 of my favorite games... Its on my computer right now and the memories of me being Morgan Industrial and Dominating my foes with high industry are great memories.

OOOH i know a game fairly like Alpha centauri.

Emperor of the Fading Suns.

This game is again top 5 for me.

its like alpha centauri on the ground, but theres another element, SPACE, yup.

theres one 2d map for planets, that you can land ships on and pickup or drop troops.

The planets arent small either, the planets are pretty dang big... Compareable to.... a Large map of Alpha centauri, i believe.

Lots of room to expand, it gets extremely fun later in the game once you build up all your industry!

Then theres another 2d map for space travel and Space battles!

Very fun game, was produced in... 1996? didnt get good recognition but the game is extremely fun once you figure it out, the learning curve is fairly steep.

The game is Freeware now, type it into google and it should bring up the free ware sites, if not PM me for a link... not sure if they allow it here.

yup... very fun game, i would say Alpha centauri and Emperor of the Fading suns are fighting each other for 2nd place in my gaming library...

Back