Alternative P2P

buzzard34

Gawd
Can someone suggest me one that works as well as Limewire? For some reason Limewire doesn't work anymore, and I can't figure out why. I'll give more details when I toubleshoot some more.

Try reinstalling Java to see if it fixes Limewire, eDonkey/eMule are pretty popular alternatives now. Of course nothing comes close to Bit Torrent.

I use both Limewire and eDonkey2000 when I actually download something...

Depends what files you want to get, but I heard of Direct Connect (you will want to get an older client, since the new ones come with geoIP)

I liked azuerus, and finally got limewire to work after reinstalling java.:rolleyes: thanks guys.

I use eMule or BitTorrent. Az doesn't work well on my 98SE machine due to some unfixable problem with java. I've not tried limewire because it uses java as well, plus I've heard they have a bunch of spyware/adware applets that install with limewire. I'm not sure if that's been fixed recently or not.

It really depends on what kind of files you download. If you found Limewire to work well use some other Gnutella client such as Bearshare. You could alsu use Ares (uses a similair network). I would recommend Ares as opposed to a Gnutella client.

I mostly use Bittorent and eMule. Bittorent is great if you have access ro some private sites. However, you have to get an invitation from somebody who already has an account. One like Torrentspy really suck. eMule is probably my favorite P2P application. You will be able to find just about anything you want. The only problem is that it is a bit slow. It is great for large files and it is recommended to leave it open 24/7.

I like BitComet for a torrent client because it has the built-in browser and links to most all the popular torrent sites.

Azureus sucks, i cant see why anyone recommends them anymore.

That program uses so much memory once u start adding torrents.

Bitcomet or else.

I use torrents and newsgroups for anything.

I rather pay the 10 bucks a month for a newsgroup account then have to suffer with slow speeds.

I use www.easynews.com mite be something to worth checking out. 10 bucks a month for 20gigs, other similar sites have cheaper rates. Ive been just using this for years and love it.

KoolDrew said:
Many ISP's (including mine) already give you news server access.

yes and many ISP cap the download rate :)

i can max out any connection using easynews.net, which means i get 10mb/sec off the servers back home.

marley1 said:
yes and many ISP cap the download rate :)

i can max out any connection using easynews.net, which means i get 10mb/sec off the servers back home.

Not only that, but the retention for ISP news servers blow. My retention with Cox cable is 3-4 days.

I've been using www.giganews.com for months now, and will never go back to ISP news servers.
Giganews offers 10 connections (unlike the 4 that most ISPs have) and a retention time of ~ 70 days and unlimited downloads. Well worth the $25/month.

Back