Alternatives to 26" Planar

kvcrawford

n00b
Hey all,
So I recently purchased the Planar PX2611W, which is pretty much perfect, EXCEPT for the wide-gamut. I'm a web designer, not a print designer, so wide gamut does nothing for me.

Unfortunately, I purchased it via NewEgg, so I can't return it :( So I'll have to see if I can sell it at a decent price. It is otherwise perfect (no blacklight bleed, great uniformity, no stuck pixels).

What are my other options for a 1920x1200, zero to little input lag, standard gamut monitor?

NEC 2490 - Obviously the best choice, but after taking a financial hit with the planar, not sure if I can go that route

Apple Cinema Display - Don't know much about it, but I understand that it's a standard gamut IPS with no input lag? Is it glossy?

Used Dell 2407WFP - I am most interested in this, as it will be the cheapest. I have a Dell 2007FP with an IPS at work, and I love it. Would there be any reason not to buy this monitor, if I can find one in good condition with an IPS panel? A quick search for "2407" or "2407WFP" didn't turn up much in the forums.

Thanks everybody!

Unless you have personally seen the used Dell monitor itself before you handed over the money, I would steer clear of buying a used LCD monitor. Being as I work for a place which sells used computer equipment (including monitors) I can tell you there is a surprising number of defects that you can sell a monitor with and still call it "Grade A", and I know for a fact we're not the only ones.

The 2407 is not an IPS and there are no IPS versions, unlike the 2007wfp. It is a S-PVA monitor. It has less input lag (~30-50ms) than the 2408 but it still has more than the Planar. First revisions had scaling limitations. As far as I know it is discontinued and you'd have to buy one used. I was able to calibrate mine using an Eye One pretty well, however it has more color shift than an IPS if you're doing color critical work, in particular it has a dark spot in the center (like most S-PVA monitors) with some black crush but if you move your head it normalizes. Subtle stuff that you'd only notice if you're doing color dependent work.

Back