Am I being throttled?

Byle_Kennett

Limp Gawd
I have Time Warner Cable's ultimate package.

It seems any time I start aggressively using my internet, I get slow speeds for the rest of the day.

I should be receiving 50/5, but this is what I'm actually receiving once it begins to slow down...

pguflU5.png

I've had a tech come out and "check the line filters", I've replaced the modem they provided me... I'm just confused...

I don't have cable, only internet, so all of my media is streamed, so this is a big deal...

Have you tried resetting the router? Back in the day this was a legit issue with consumer grade gear, especially Linksys, which many heavy users had to constantly reboot almost daily/weekly, hence third-party firmwares amongst other reasons.

I'm local to you and I seriously doubt you're pulling down more data than I do and I never see anything like this. Do you have the stock Ubee or something else? If the stock ubee is it in bridge or router mode? I've got the Ubee in bridge mode couple with a Fortigate 140D and the 30/5 plan. I played with the Ubee in router mode the first I had it and can say it was among the worst I've seen. In bridge mode it has been rock solid.

In short you're not being throttled, make sure you're not using the TWC device as a router and if you're not make sure the router you're using isn't garbage.

I get this speed regardless if I'm connected to the modem through router or direct....

I guess I'll have the tech come out again...

I don't know... How can I check?

Also, I take back that heavy usage thing.. it only seems to happen at night. In the morning, I'm fine... and right before it gets dark (and colder), it's fine... only from ~6pm to morning is it terrible...

cvbfQ65.png

Last edited:
What kind of device is it? I've got a Ubee here. Are you currently using a router or plugged directly into the TWC device? If plugged directly in is your PC assigned a public or private address?

It is a safe bet that if you have an ubee and you have not changed it then it is likely in router mode. If so don't use another NAT device behind it.

BTW I am assuming you are wired and not wireless. Yes?

if it gets slow at 6pm on i would say that you are on a saturated node and all the people get home from school / work and suck up the link.

have the tech come out when it is slow.....

Call the last tech that was out, not a new one. Not only does a new tech have to learn your system/setup, but it also goes against the previous tech (every company ever).

It's likely exactly what MrG said, you are on a saturated node.

I didn't fully read your last post and missed the part about this being narrowed down to evening only. That does sound like an overloaded node. That said node management has typically been something TWC has been very good at around here so this is unusual. I also noticed that the ping and jitter times times posted are horrible. You are using http://speedtest.southeast.rr.com/ for your testing yes? For comparison I just ran mine at 9PM and had 12ms ping with 3ms jitter up/down was 34.12/5.74. I also want to ask again you are testing on a wired device? Can you post numbers from the evening and earlier in the day so we can see difference?

Back