Am I Missing Something On ATSC Tuner Set-Up? HVR-1600

practal

Gawd
I bought a Hauppauge HVR-1600 to use on my new Dell 3007WFP and Im having some issues with it. Ive set-up and used a few different tuners over the years so Im fairly certain it is set-up right.

I want to recieve OTA HDTV and this card is replacing the Emuzed Mauii III. I have been using my ancient rooftop antenna with a 15db amplifier and I recieved 6 analog channels with the Emuzed, 3 with perfect reception.

I put in the HVR-1600 and set it up using media portal. Mediaportal only currently supports the ATSC tuner and I did not recieve any channels with it, all just snow. I then installed GBPVR and BeyondTV. I still did not recieve ATSC and now I only get 2 analog stations and they look realy bad. The antenna set-up is the same so shouldnt I still get the same analog stations?

I then decided maybe I needed a newer antenna so I bought a RCA ANT706a. This improved the reception to my bedroom analog TV but everything was still the same with the HVR-1600.

I returned the RCA and ordered a bigger Terrestrial Digital DB8. Still just analog channels with bad reception and still no ATSC! I hooked up my amplifier and mounted it in the third story attic on the final attempt. I still see zero change.

Antennaweb says I have 2 channels in a 20-30 mile range. If I search by closer local cities, within 20 miles, I can find close to 30 digital channels in a 50-70 mile range. The db8 is suppose to cover this and I cant figure out why I dont get any.

I live in Michigan and theres arent any hills or valleys around. No big buildings for 50+ miles either. Is their something Im over looking or am I just SOL on OTA HDTV?

ok.. this may be a silly question but is the antenna connected to the correct input?

ok.. this may be a silly question but is the antenna connected to the correct input?

Not to silly, I actualy did that at first but figured it out a few minutes after I first hooked it up.:D

Back