Am I retarded? Why aren't these headphones working?

dagon11985

Gawd
I just purchased my first headset. My headset is a Logitech Extreme 3.5mm Connector Supra-aural PC Gaming Headset.

I plugged them in the back of my soundcard and.... nothing. The silence is deafing. Windows Vista isn't detecting any new hardware, and it says I don't have headphones plugged in. What am I doing wrong here? Am I retarded or something?

Vista shouldn't do anything... it doesn't care whether you have those, or nothing, or an arena sound system plugged in. If you're not hearing anything, then either your soundcard isn't putting anything out, or you have the inline mute on/the volume down.

Why would Vista detect new hardware if it's a 3.5mm plug?

Well, to be fair if he's used to having onboard sound from Realtek or something it DOES pop up a message when you plug in a new device....

OP, are you plugging into the green jack? (the one normally used for speakers)

Yes, I am used to Realtek Onboard Audio. This is the first Soundcard I've used. (Got it with my MSI 780i Mobo.)

The Headset I have has two plugs, one red, one black. I plugged them into the Red and Black jacks in the back of my Soundcard.

Yes, I am used to Realtek Onboard Audio. This is the first Soundcard I've used. (Got it with my MSI 780i Mobo.)

The Headset I have has two plugs, one red, one black. I plugged them into the Red and Black jacks in the back of my Soundcard.

one of the plugs is for the headphones and the other for the mic. im not sure which is which. i have realtek onboard audio as well and i know when i plug anything in, it automatically pops up a message. i think i have my speakers plugged into the black jack like you said and they work fine. maybe somethings wrong with the headphones.

Well I think with most of the newer Realtek onboard solutions, all the jacks can act as sort of 'flexi-jacks' wherein they can be configured as inputs or outputs by the control panel. Whenever you plug something in (be it headphones, speakers, or a mic) the Realtek control panel will pop up and ask you what the device is and show you which jack you just plugged into.

OP, try plugging the black plug from the headset into the green jack. The red (or usually pink) should plug into the pink jack (mic).

First off, the headphones should be connected to the Green jack, and the mic to the pink jack. The black jack is for rear output.
Go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> audio, and make sure under 'Default device', that x-fi is selected.
If still no go, go under the x-fi control panel, mixer, and make sure Wave is up, and not muted. You can also do this by double clicking the volume icon, and you should be able to control it from there if the drivers synced your controls to the windows control.

If all of those are working, but still no sound, well.. I guess find some other headphone/speaker to stick in there, and then try plug in your headset to any other device.. mp3 player, cell phone, tv, etc..

Back