AM2 FX62 build, need troubleshooting help

alcuin

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
While I don't consider myself a noob, this is only the second AM2 system I've built, and the first with very top end components. I have 4 939 systems, all humming and running happily, from a a64 3000 to an oc'd Opty 165.
That said, here's the specs and issue. I have an AMD FX62 retail, Asus M2N-SLI deluxe (non-wireless), 2x 1gb PQI DDR2-667, a WD 250gb SATA oem drive, new DVDRW, Antec NSK4400, and XFX GF 7900GT.

I've already pulled the GT temporarily and swapped it with a generic PCI Radeon 9200, so the issue isn't video. I've swapped out the WD Sata drive for a old Maxtor 40gb IDE, so the problem isn't hard drive, I think. The DVD drive is brand new, as is the IDE cable I'm using on it, so data transfer is probably unlikely. The PSU is pretty weak at 380W, but as I'm not using many components so far, I don't think that should be an issue, plus it's name brand, so it should be better than a generic 400w.

Physical assembly went fine, aside from the case being pretty cheap quality. Bios post goes fine. Post memory count is fine, I've even run memtest 3.2 off of a cd, passed fine. I can boot to Dos on a USB thumb drive fine. I can boot to a XP SP2 cd, and run install fine. It then reboots, boots to the hard drive to finish the second half of installation, and goes well. After that, it reboots one more time. This time, it posts, then reads the hard drive, then dies and reboots again, in a dead cycle; though the second time it seems to sense it failed the boot up before, and offers the option to boot into safe mode. If I take the safe mode option, I can boot fine. I just cannot boot into regular XP SP2. There is no blue screen, no stop errors; it just dies and reboots. I went and turned off the auto-reboot function from the safe-mode boot menu, but no errors.

I've tried booting a Knoppix cd, and I can finish booting all the way to the GUI no problem.

I know the XP SP2 disk is good, but I've tried another, with the same issue. I've tried installing Vista Ultimate, but it has similar issues, ie install, but fails to boot from the HD.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS. The bios on the board was about two versions old. I tried the latest one, then went back to the middle version, and now I'm back to the latest version. No difference.

I've tried disabling nearly every onboard device in the bios; both lans, usb, serial, parallel, secondary sata controller, sound. No avail.

It was suggested to me, that an FX-62 requires DDR2-800 memory, and will not work with DDR2-667 memory. Is this true? It seems to work ok in Linux.

Unfortuantely, I have no other AM2 specific parts to swap and test it with; ie I have no spare DDR2, AM2 cpu, or AM2 motherboard.

Is there anything else I can try and troubleshoot? Does it sound like the board is bad? Everything boots fine..... except Windows, both XP and Vista.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Back