AM2+ in a AM2 motherboard

Netrat33

Supreme [H]ardness
This might be a stupid question, but is it true you can put an AM2+ cpu into an AM2 motherboard? I'm assuming it's not as fast as it would be in an AM2+ motherboard, but might just be enough of a bump for me. I currently have an X2 5600 and thinking about getting a quadcore processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103288 mostly wnat to do this because I'm pretty sure my processor right now is a pretty big bottleneck for my video cards :D But I don't want to do a big uproot.

If not possible or no benefit, then just simply won't upgrade.

Check your MB support list....some will some don't,also check the wattage(ie 125w or 95w)many AM2 boards can't cope with 125w or 140w.

I looked up on Asus and it seems like it can (M2N32-SLI Deluxe). This is getting kind of cool/exciting since I thought I couldn't do this. Will this be a significant improvement over what I got or is the motherboard going to hold back too much? Best guess (which is probably better than mine :D)

Also my pc is fine with sli, cpu and 750 watt powersupply. Would this change with a phenom?

Works great as long as there's a BIOS update to make your mobo compatible with the particular CPU you want to use.

I went from a X2 4800+ @ 2.9 GHz (5600+ speed) to a Phenom 9650 about a year ago. Was using a cheap AM2 board at the time:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345635

The Phenom did overclock to 2.7 GHz, making it only 20 - 25% slower than my current CPU. Of course it can also be overclocked, but the Phenom I isn't as bad as some people think.

I've tested Phenom 2 X4 940 in that board and it worked just fine - I'd say spending the extra $40-60 to get a Phenom 2 versus a Phenom 1 is absolutely worth it. Maybe consider P2 X4 810 or 945?

Ooh, if you do this you better keep your vregs cool with active airflow cause I've seen a lot of people fry non AM2+ mobo's with inadequate cooling on the vregs area. I guess the AM2+ CPU's put a heavier strain on things.

Ooh, if you do this you better keep your vregs cool with active airflow cause I've seen a lot of people fry non AM2+ mobo's with inadequate cooling on the vregs area. I guess the AM2+ CPU's put a heavier strain on things.

I'm sorry but what are vregs? (Amazing how being out of something for 2 years makes one a complete noob again!)

Voltage regulators. Specifically, the mosfets should have heatsinks and/or some cool air blowing across them with any Phenom I or II >= 95W. The power specification changed between AM2 and AM2+ (but not all AM2+ boards are even 100% safe). Motherboards that could run the 6400+ Windsor X2 125W TDP weren't necessarily up to the Phenom 9850 125W TDP.

Will this be a significant improvement over what I got or is the motherboard going to hold back too much?

I think the only bottleneck that might pop up is the HyperTransport link. The Phenom II chips support a 3600-4000Mhz HT link (1,800-2000 base), while Socket AM2 only supports a 1000Mhz HT link, I believe.

Voltage regulators. Specifically, the mosfets should have heatsinks and/or some cool air blowing across them with any Phenom I or II >= 95W. The power specification changed between AM2 and AM2+ (but not all AM2+ boards are even 100% safe). Motherboards that could run the 6400+ Windsor X2 125W TDP weren't necessarily up to the Phenom 9850 125W TDP.

True, and there was a guy that fried his AM2 mobo a couple months back with a pidly lil Phenom 9600 because he had no cooling on his vregs/mosfets. Course he had an MSI mobo that was way outta warranty so he screwed himself.

My brain was out to lunch there - the CPUs I suggest are AM3 :(
However the X4 920 (AM2+) is the same price as the X4 945 (AM3)

The only Phenom II it officially supports is one that doesn't exist.:p If Pharoah is sure a 940 works go for that. They're a great value at the moment since you already have a board and memory. I wish mine was $169.99 with free shipping at launch.

Hope this thread isnt too old to bring back up, but I have a similar situation.

I am trying to decide if it is worth it to upgrade my work cpu. It currently has a 5600+ running stock on an AM2 motherboard. According to this list: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2775 the Phenom II's are supported.

I was looking at the Phenom II 940 or 920 because they are cheaper (maybe because they are older), but Hard and Confused said it could fry the motherboard. I haven't been able to find any reports on this and I've searched quite a bit. Can someone verify this? Or is it worth looking at the lower power CPUs like the 905e? Or should I just keep the 5600+ because there wont be enough of a difference? FWIW this will be the only upgrade for this computer for at least 2 years.

Back