Amazon Accused of Cheating Customers Through Shipping Costs

Still don't get why anyone pays for Prime. Everything I've ever bought on Amazon was either $35 or had free shipping for no logical reason and was still the least expensive total cost. Also the free option always arrived in 2 days anyway.

Because for me i never had a free 2 day option, for me it was always 3-5 days and always took the full 5 days, worth it for me because i don't want to wait 2 weeks to get things as i have to get them delivered to Miami and then shipped down to Costa Rica.

I have noticed that on occasion Prime prices are higher than none prime prices for the same item. For example, when I am not logged into Prime the price for an item is cheaper than when I am logged in. I just quickly tested it, a 35.3oz jar of Nutella is $12.49 when not logged in, and when logged into Prime it is $12.74 (I realize this is a poor example and the price difference does not cover shipping, I was in a hurry). I have noticed this repeatedly and often with much greater price differences.
I am still a fan of Prime. Plus, Amazon customer service is amazing, much better than the "egg"

Son of a bitch, you're right !

Just did an experiment. If you log in, sure enough the price is jacked up.

If you don't log in, it isn't.

And here's where it gets interesting...

If you don't log in, add it to your card, THEN check out and sign in, it stays at the lower price.

If you don't log in, add it to your card, THEN check out and sign in, it stays at the lower price.

It has been well known that a new Amazon customer (with no login or account) could get lower prices on certain items (kind of like a drug dealer giving you a discount on your first purchase :p ) ... I suspect that pricing differences can have more to do with that aspect of the Amazon dynamic pricing model than Prime specifically ... as dynamic pricing models continue to evolve I would expect we will see more and more of this

Since they can apply more accurate pricing structures the more they know about the consumer I would expect to see more features added to Prime over time (or to the general membership) to encourage people to login ... dynamic pricing works well for the company if they can charge more for something that someone will buy anyway and well for consumer if they get discounts on unusual purchases :cool:

Did... either of you check the store you're buying from? I did this same experiment, and had a post on it. Is it that?

Back