Amazon Cloud Uses FedEx to Ship Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you get terabytes of data uploaded to Amazon’s cloud storage? You ship it FedEx. Amazon even provides an online calculator to help you decide if it is cheaper to ship via FedEx or uploading over the internet.

What is this new technology, you may ask? It's called FedEx. For large amounts of data, terabytes, it could actually take weeks to upload to Amazon's servers over the Internet. So Amazon is now letting customers put a storage device in the mail and Amazon will take care of the data transfer within its own high-speed internal network.

You must ship your storage device with its power supply and interface cables. Without these we can't transfer your data and will return your device."

They can't find a sata, USB or firewire cable lying around? lol

Depending on how many customers they have that use the FedEx option, they might not have enough 'spares'. I could see companies shipping 20+ drives to them.

Plus, it seems I've got a different USB cable for each device in this house. :mad:

They had better! But I think they are referring to customers using hard drives mounted in an enclosure. The policy makes sense in this case. While you or I wouldn't have much of a problem copying data to a bare drive with no enclosure, I don't see a company doing that with valuable data, at least not when shipping the devices to a third party.

Talk about high latency though....

If you ship enough harddrives, the bandwidth is probably quite high.

Flat charge per storage device plus an hourly charge for time to transfer data. No storage device over 4TB. Finally, "AWS is not responsible for damages associated with loss or inadvertent disclosure of data."

For anyone using this service, please state your company name so I never do business with you again. No responsibility for the data leaking out ... are you kidding me? :confused::eek::mad:

Most people aren't going to store sensitive data with Amazon S3, so data leaks aren't ordinarily that big a deal.

Flat charge per storage device plus an hourly charge for time to transfer data. No storage device over 4TB. Finally, "AWS is not responsible for damages associated with loss or inadvertent disclosure of data."

For anyone using this service, please state your company name so I never do business with you again. No responsibility for the data leaking out ... are you kidding me? :confused::eek::mad:

Netflix just recently switched to using AWS.

Most people aren't going to store sensitive data with Amazon S3, so data leaks aren't ordinarily that big a deal.
This. Plus, would drives in transit not be the responsibility of the transporter?

So, who wants to bet that someone's gonna put a worm on a hard drive and send it in?
Go ahead and upload a worm into your DropBox. I'll let you know when I see it in mine. :)

So, who wants to bet that someone's gonna put a worm on a hard drive and send it in?

Why would someone want to put a worm on their own virtual machine? Moreso, why would anyone mail a HDD to do that when you can do it in a second over the internet?

Why would someone want to put a worm on their own virtual machine? Moreso, why would anyone mail a HDD to do that when you can do it in a second over the internet?
Well, someone could claim they were an HP admin and send a hard drive over. I would think it would be easier to get the credentials for the Cloud than the steps you would have to go through for Amazon to accept your mail.

Well, someone could claim they were an HP admin and send a hard drive over. I would think it would be easier to get the credentials for the Cloud than the steps you would have to go through for Amazon to accept your mail.

I'm thinking you're going to need credentials anyway. I somehow doubt they're just going to accept a harddrive mailed to them. Most likely you get some kind of unique key through your Amazon account to tag our box with.

I'm thinking you're going to need credentials anyway. I somehow doubt they're just going to accept a harddrive mailed to them. Most likely you get some kind of unique key through your Amazon account to tag our box with.
Yes, that's what I meant. In addition to needing the ID and password anyway (to get that key) you would probably need to provide additional details.

I can understand this "feature" for when you have a large amount of data. But what gets me is why are they charging you money to upload data over the internet to your own account?

I can understand this "feature" for when you have a large amount of data. But what gets me is why are they charging you money to upload data over the internet to your own account?
They charge both for storage and for data transfer (both ways) but only between the S3 site and external sites. If you have an EC2 application, there is no charge for it to transfer data to or from the S3 site (as long as those accounts are in the same geographic region).

So, once you have loaded your data onto the storage server (S3), your web application (EC2) can use it without incurring any data transfer fees.

The cost isn't that onerous anyway: a flat $1 per 10 GB transferred in; $1.50 for the first 10 TB transferred out and the rate goes down from there. Those costs basically pay for the hardware to hold your stuff while the monthly storage costs pay for the maintenance.

Full pricing details:
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

Back