Ambient room temperature

Gh()st

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, I figure those that run W/C setups should be able to answer this question relatively easily.

I'm currently on air. ( all Cu Hyper6 ) I'm upgrading to a Opty 165, and Asus A8R32 MVP Deluxe. I have a BBA X1800 XT 512MB that's been PE bios flashed, and a Accelero X2 HSF.

I've been fighting my OC'ing/Modding inner-demon for a long time, trying to not get wet, but now I'm seriously about to click the buy button on a setup. The reason is quite simple, and the same reason most of you went the W/C way.

HEAT

My home office has a slight ambient temp issue. Usually stays 5+ degrees warmer than the rest of the house. ( Mostly because of my comp, my wife's comp, my laptop, TV, and cable box. )

My current rig dumps a noticeable amount of extra heat into the room. Mostly from the vid card. I want a better cooling solution for the little bugger. I know that moving to W/C will help with the temps on the card. I'm not looking at going faster, just cooler.

My concern is how does W/C'ing effect ambient room temp? I know that when the setup is running, the system temp will basically balance throughout the loop. Does moving to W/C increase the amount of heat added to the ambient room temp? Or, since the system parts are running cooler, does the ambient see less of a increase?

My goal is cooler, no matter how I get there.

Here's the parts I'm looking at picking up.

Laing DDC 1plus T with the plexi top, and reservoir combo
DD TDX, or Switfy Apogee
Maze4 GPU
1xBIP
1XBIP II

In this config: Pump > BIP II > CPU > BIP > GPU > Pump

Thoughts?

It doesn't matter.

The components are running cooler because you're taking more heat out of them faster. Where's that heat going? The room -- whether you're using water or air to remove it.

If you want to keep the room cool, do something to remove the heat from the room. Or do something to remove the heat from the machines directly outside the house, like a duct with a fan in it. That's hardly practical for desktop machines in a home, though it's usually what happens in a rack-mount installation.

As Mike said the method of cooling does nothing to the total heat in the room. You are still going to be running the processor and hard drives at the same level which will produce the same amount of heat.

A fan in the room to help circulate the air out of the room is probably your best bet.

The components you've selected and the proposed configuration sounds fine. Although ambient temperature can have fairly significant ramifications on a cooling loop's effectiveness, it's nothing to be wildly concerned about. If you want cool, water will get you there.

mikeblas said:
It doesn't matter.

The components are running cooler because you're taking more heat out of them faster. Where's that heat going? The room -- whether you're using water or air to remove it.

If you want to keep the room cool, do something to remove the heat from the room. Or do something to remove the heat from the machines directly outside the house, like a duct with a fan in it. That's hardly practical for desktop machines in a home, though it's usually what happens in a rack-mount installation.

QFT

exactly what i was going to say

The smart-ass answer is that the watercooling solution will actually put more heat into the room and here is my reasoning.

The pump has a heat dump of around 10-20W. And you will probably run a faster overclock when you watercool your components which means even more heat dumped out from the components. That is all extra heat being put into the room that wouldn't be put into the room if you stuck with air cooling.

Why is that "smart-ass"? It's well thought-out.

Sometimes my idle on my cpu is lower than my case temp. I notice the room is just as hot with air cooling and water cooling though.

Erasmus354 said:
The smart-ass answer is that the watercooling solution will actually put more heat into the room and here is my reasoning.

The pump has a heat dump of around 10-20W. And you will probably run a faster overclock when you watercool your components which means even more heat dumped out from the components. That is all extra heat being put into the room that wouldn't be put into the room if you stuck with air cooling.

The smart-ass response to that is: So what's the relative increase in room temperature due to the increase in power dissipation? :p

zer0signal667 said:
The smart-ass response to that is: So what's the relative increase in room temperature due to the increase in power dissipation? :p

Smart-ass response:

The Reletive increase in room temperature du to the increase in power dissipation can be calculated by the following formula:

[(x-3)^3]/ |-4y*3²| + [sin32*sqrt6]/[!15+(pi)Яع√

Never mind.

[size=-3]more power dissipation = more room temperature. May vary. [/size]

Back