AMD 4000+ dead; what to buy?

Gadfly

Limp Gawd
Long story short, my vaporchill LS died while I was at work, but the PC did not shut off, looks like it cooked off the CPU. There are discolored (burnt) pins, and pins that seperated from the package.

So the question remains, What do buy?

Heard good things about the FX-57, and the X2 4800, and these opteron's.

Which CPU do you tink will yield the best OC performance? (games, 3dmark etc.)

I'm sure the FX57/S939 Opteron would give you more mhz over the 4800, thus faster performance in single application/games.

Most people are getting insane overclocks (ie FX57+ performance) out of the $150 dollar S939 (144) Opterons. It's just a matter of finding one :)

If you do more multitasking, the 4800+ would be the better route.

well with phase, I shluld get pretty decent OC's with any chip i get. I was running 3157 on the 4000, those 144's look pretty crazy though.

What is the diffrence between the opteron and the A64 series?

What is the diffrence between the opteron and the A64 series?

940 pins - 939 pins = 1 pin
:D

Seriously, aside from the number of pins, you'll of course need a new mobo (unless you get those brand new Opterons) and registered DIMMs.

Yeah that's what people in this thread have been talking about, the 939 OpterOWNS lol. Not the 940 counterparts. And you don't need a new mobo or registered RAM for them, just any old DDR will do (well you get the point.)

If you can find them now, get the opteron (aka opterown) 939pin. However, almost all places are sold out on them. The newer batch that will be coming may not overclock as well since the older batch are actually FX-57 cores or something a little less (CABNE and CABYE respectively).
Sorry about your 4000+. I know how that feels...

well, I will call around tommorow, for a 148 or 150, but at $800+ would i be better to get an fx-55 SD?

I'll just ask them to read me the core ID's off the chip to make sure they got the right cores.

I only want CABNE and CABYE?

Kevlarman said:
Seriously, aside from the number of pins, you'll of course need a new mobo (unless you get those brand new Opterons) and registered DIMMs.

144box.JPG

:cool:

doesn't need reg'ed or ecc ram btw ;)

I know bro, i just didn't feel like jamming the fact that he was speaking out of the wrong bodily opening out into public view. :cool:

Kevlarman said:
940 pins - 939 pins = 1 pin
:D

Actually, those brand new Socket 939 Opterons do not require registered memory, though they still support ECC memory. Only the Socket 940 Opterons (which are not backwards-compatible with Socket 939 due to the different physical size and pin layout) require registered memory.

An increasing number of programs are going to be dual and multicore optimized in the future. This will likely include some games. I'd get the 4800+ for additional future proofing, especially if you have a significant amount of money to spend.

You might get lucky with a 146 oem from monarch, rumor has it they are cabne. cabne is the best so far but from what I can tell getting an early week like 0530 or before is the key as the cabye's from that time are good.

One guy who ordered a 148 from monarch got a cabne 0528, they probably got some left.
I probably wouldn't get a retail 146 it's early but they are cabye 0536's and it doesn't look so great so far. 1.6v to get 3 gig. AFAIK you can' t really get 144's plus they are 9x multi and amd seems to be speed binning a lot on the later weeks so 144's may suck.

I was looking at the 152's, or the 154's, anyone know if they are any good, I am calling monarch this morning as soon as they open. I will buy the highest rated cabne in that week range they have. Might have to pick up a second 7800 while I am at it. :cool:

Monarch and ewiz may be all out. Compumusic (good service and very fast shipping) still have the 148 opteron CABYE core (second best stepping). THat should get you around 2900 even with a crappy A8N-SLI premium (asus). With a DFI, beyond.

Back