AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

My 4890 is definitely getting retired... just a question of whether to grab a 68xx upfront or stick it out for a 69xx part, which'll hopefully be available in November. Haven't upgraded my system in a year, a new video card will be just what the doctor ordered. Exciting times!
10 year member :O

grrr i want to jump the gun on a 460gtx 768 model but my spidersense is telling me to wait :mad:

My 4890 is definitely getting retired... just a question of whether to grab a 68xx upfront or stick it out for a 69xx part, which'll hopefully be available in November. Haven't upgraded my system in a year, a new video card will be just what the doctor ordered. Exciting times!
well a 6870 is not even going to be as fast as a 5870 so I would wait for the 6900 parts for a more significant upgrade.

Im waiting for price drop on the 5970 etc! lol. Screw the 6xxx series.

Got to admit I am getting quite worried that AMD is trying to launch a crappy scheme here. Tho they will lose favor in the reviews. If a 6870 is weaker than a 5870 is will be eaten alive by the reviews.

I still hold out hope that AMD isn't dumb enough.

I understand what you are saying. I truly believe I do. BUT! Everyone doing the reviews should totally be aware that the naming scheme is being changed. This happens. I'm assuming people doing the reviews will understand these are midrange cards and if they perform well will only bring anticipation for the higher end cards coming.
Don't see why it would really matter. No one really cares about the names, just price/performance ratio. As long as they get that right, they can call these cards whatever they want as far as the reviewers will be concerned. For an extreme example, if the 6870 performed slightly worse than the 5870, but cost like 100$, it would get a gold star in any review.

Don't see why it would really matter. No one really cares about the names, just price/performance ratio. As long as they get that right, they can call these cards whatever they want as far as the reviewers will be concerned.

I'm sure Anand will have a good chunk of his article explaining the reasons for the name change, he's usually pretty good about that.

Holding out to see what the 6970 brings. My 512mb 4870 is crying out in pain @ modern resolutions.

Grrr, if only Stanford would make a F@H client that would fold worth a damn on AMD/ATI cards so I can drop Nvidia. I might stop folding soon anyways since I wont be getting electricity free anymore after I move. I just want to drop my GTX 285 SLI altogether for a single GPU that's faster (GTX 480 isn't from what I've seen).

So I doubt the launch is still on the 18th now since it's less than a week away and still no official word yet. Has there been any official statements made about this series/launch yet?

So I doubt the launch is still on the 18th now since it's less than a week away and still no official word yet. Has there been any official statements made about this series/launch yet?

Unless they are stalling (such as Nvidia with Fermi), neither side ever talks about their products before they launch or give launch dates. Rumors are all you get until it launches.

Grrr, if only Stanford would make a F@H client that would fold worth a damn on AMD/ATI cards so I can drop Nvidia. I might stop folding soon anyways since I wont be getting electricity free anymore after I move. I just want to drop my GTX 285 SLI altogether for a single GPU that's faster (GTX 480 isn't from what I've seen).

You'll be waiting a while for a single GPU thats faster.

You'll be waiting a while for a single GPU thats faster.

A while being maybe in the next month..? The 480 is almost there, all I need is a card that's about a ~15% increase over the 480. I'm sure AMDs new flagship card will pass or match that at least. If Nvidia ever friggin releases a 485 with the 512 SPUs the 480 was supposed to have in the first place, then I'll bet it will close that gap too to make it worth trading my 2x 285s for.

Count me in for a 6870, especially if it comes in at $300 or less which I think there is definitely a chance for if it is Barts XT.

There's also the distinct possibility this has all been FUD and we'll be seeing this card as "6770" as originally hinted.

Count me in for a 6870, especially if it comes in at $300 or less which I think there is definitely a chance for if it is Barts XT.

There's also the distinct possibility this has all been FUD and we'll be seeing this card as "6770" as originally hinted.
so you would pay $300 for a next gen card that is between a 5850 and 5870 and think its a great deal? what the hell ever happened to next gen cards delivering way MORE performance at the SAME price as the card its replacing which in this case is the 5770? 300 bucks would be a freaking rip off as that would be twice the price as the 5770. :rolleyes:

so you would pay $300 for a next gen card that is between a 5850 and 5870 and think its a great deal? what the hell ever happened to next gen cards delivering way MORE performance at the SAME price as the card its replacing which in this case is the 5770? 300 bucks would be a freaking rip off as that would be twice the price as the 5770. :rolleyes:

If Barts is in the $175-$250 mark it will be a direct replacement for 5750-5830 and offer a large performance increase. I would not pay $250+ for Barts if it performs inline with the latest rumors.

Next gen cards don't have to deliver more preformanec for the less. They have to either deliver the same preformance for less, or more preformance for the same price. Otherwise the ultra high end cards would only cost 25$ by now.

From your post It appears that you haven't read the thread at all. The 6870 will probably come less than $300.00 and will be a mid range part. I highly doubt this is fud at this point and if there is a 6700 it will be a low end 5600 series replacement.

We're 7 days from launch and the rumors get more accurate the closer you get to launch. Let alone the pictures and information leaked from someone who has the card in their hand. Granted they are in china or whatever but the 6800 series will not replace the 5870 from the most up to the minute information and I personally dont see how you would pay $300 for it. This is very likely a naming change. I would expect the 6950 to come in at or around $300.00. But pricing and MSRP is speculation at this point on the 6900 cards.

All I care about is price. I don't care if it's the same as a 5850 if it is cheaper.

Err.... I do care about performance, but I'm poor....so yeah

All I care about is price. I don't care if it's the same as a 5850 if it is cheaper.

You should always care about BOTH. what if it performs horribly. Doubtful but to say you dont care at all about anything besides price is crazy. Hopefully it performs better than last gen for the same or better price. Or they perform the same for less AND overclock like it's nobody's business then we have a worthwhile launch, OMG if not Meh

With all the hype leading up to this launch if it's anything less this will be the biggest disappointment in a VERY long time.

Next gen cards don't have to deliver more preformanec for the less. They have to either deliver the same preformance for less, or more preformance for the same price. Otherwise the ultra high end cards would only cost 25$ by now.
learn to read because that's not what I said. the 5770 replacement should get that 30-40%(or more) while still maintaining about the same price bracket. doubling the price of a 5770 for 30-40% more performance would be stupid. if THAT happened every generation then we would be paying over $1000 for mid range cards by now.

I'd prefer if it the 6850 and 6870 were called 6750 and 6770. The renaming just seems underhanded.

Yes, the darn things have impressive performance increases over the old 57XX, but the only reason I see for the confusing renaming can only be to deceive customers into accepting a higher price. That being said, I don't expect them to have the 6870 card at the price of the current 5770 (though i wouldn't mind!) , but I do expect it to be less than $250.

I think that by keeping the old naming scheme and touting the big performance differences between the 5770 and the "6770" (new naming scheme:6870) they will be able to entice more customers to making the jump. Can't wait for both the 14th and the 18th to get some concrete info...

yeah anything more than $250 would be completely illogical for a 5770 replacement. even at that price though it will still be less performance per dollar than the 5770 which is pathetic for a next gen card.

yeah anything more than $250 would be completely illogical for a 5770 replacement. even at that price though it will still be less performance per dollar than the 5770 which is pathetic for a next gen card.
i don't think its pathetic. older mid-range cards often give you very good performance per dollar since they get heavily discounted throughout their useful lives. consider that the 5770 can be had for $120 on sale (give or take), even at $200 for the new card you'd have to see a very large (~50%) increase in performance to even out the "performance per dollar" bench. Brand new cards just don't perform in that regard because theres always a price premium paid for buying the newest thing out there.

Of course, if you're talking about whether or not the price increase is "worth it", well thats a totally different idea

From your post It appears that you haven't read the thread at all. The 6870 will probably come less than $300.00 and will be a mid range part. I highly doubt this is fud at this point and if there is a 6700 it will be a low end 5600 series replacement.

We're 7 days from launch and the rumors get more accurate the closer you get to launch. Let alone the pictures and information leaked from someone who has the card in their hand. Granted they are in china or whatever but the 6800 series will not replace the 5870 from the most up to the minute information and I personally dont see how you would pay $300 for it. This is very likely a naming change. I would expect the 6950 to come in at or around $300.00. But pricing and MSRP is speculation at this point on the 6900 cards.

Hm...5870 is $350-$400. If 6870 = 95% of 5870, I'd pay $300 for that without any issue. No need to assume I haven't read just because we took away something different.:rolleyes:

Basically, a lot of this hoopla over a digit needs to be taken into context:

The 3870 and 4870 were in the sub $300 market - the 5870 was the outlier. They were always meant to be in the sweet spot - the 5870 was a tad bigger, and was in the grey zone between a big GPU and a medium one.

Now, if ATI returns the 68xx's to the $180-250 range, then it makes sense.

Keep in mind that this generation, the 68xx's are NOT the high end single GPU - that's supposedly Cayman, and will be named the 69xx's. Then there's Antilles, which is probably 2x Cayman...

If you take that into context, if the 68xx's are slotted < $250, and Cayman is in the $300-$500 range, it makes sense, so all you people complaining about performance from the 6 series... wait for friggin Cayman before you jump to conclusions

So we have been seeing rumors about the Bartst for the last 2-3 months eh? And supposedly the Caymans come out in a month right? How come we haven't seen too much on them?

Basically, a lot of this hoopla over a digit needs to be taken into context:

The 3870 and 4870 were in the sub $300 market - the 5870 was the outlier. They were always meant to be in the sweet spot - the 5870 was a tad bigger, and was in the grey zone between a big GPU and a medium one.

Now, if ATI returns the 68xx's to the $180-250 range, then it makes sense.

Keep in mind that this generation, the 68xx's are NOT the high end single GPU - that's supposedly Cayman, and will be named the 69xx's. Then there's Antilles, which is probably 2x Cayman...

If you take that into context, if the 68xx's are slotted < $250, and Cayman is in the $300-$500 range, it makes sense, so all you people complaining about performance from the 6 series... wait for friggin Cayman before you jump to conclusions

4870 started off at 250-280. I know this because I bought one the week of release.

4870 started off at 250-280. I know this because I bought one the week of release.
4870 msrp at launch was $299 but quickly went down. the 6870 looks to only be about 30-35% faster than the old 4870 from well over 2 years ago. it would be laughable for a 6870 to launch at $299 since in reality its the mid range 5770 replacement.

The VR zone "article" screams Nvidia PR. Look at the second headline "Nvidia ready to counter-attack" rofl. They haven't even finished launching their first generation Directx 11 cards.

As it appears the current launch of the 6xxx series still won't touch a 480GTX...what exactly is the rush on Nvidias part?

As it appears the current launch of the 6xxx series still won't touch a 480GTX...what exactly is the rush on Nvidias part?

Their 460 series cards are about to be smashed. On another note, I recall reading a number of articles stating AMD was going to do a Press Event today in Los Angeles. However their press events page show the next event as one in Taiwan on the 19th.

and if the 6870 launches at much more than $250 then Nvidia will not even really need to cut prices on the gtx460 either since plenty of 1gb models are already at $220 and below.

My Guess:
6850 1GB $199
6870 1GB $249
6950 1GB $299
6970 1GB $349
6950 2GB $399
6970 2GB $449
6990 2GB $499
6990 4GB $599

and if the 6870 launches at much more than $250 then Nvidia will not even really need to cut prices on the gtx460 either since plenty of 1gb models are already at $220 and below.

Actually, they still might slash prices on the gtx460 depending on how well the 6850 performs (Translated article above shows it performing under the 5850).

yeah you are fine. even single 4870 and gtx260 owners are still pretty set.

Personally, I'm waiting for something to replace my aging 8800GT, so the next couple of months should be interesting for me.

My Guess:
6850 1GB $199
6870 1GB $249
6950 1GB $299
6970 1GB $349
6950 2GB $399
6970 2GB $449
6990 2GB $499
6990 4GB $599

That sounds very possible. Never heard anything about 1gb/2gb versions but this could be a psychic guess that hold accurate. This would make perfect sense if you add all the rumors and speculation up until now then this would explain the performance rumors and everything.

Who knows but good guess.

Back