AMD 6900 series, Delayed Until December, only Soft Launch.

NKD

[H]F Junkie
I just read this at tweaktown.com, I guess this is straight from AMD. Soft Launch, NDA will be lifted relating to the info on 6950 and 6970 on dec. 13th, no date for exact launch.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17512/amd_radeon_6900_series_something_to_bite_into_after_13th_of_december/index.html

Those who don't wanna click on the link, here is what it says, relating the 6900 series.

Some glorious news has come to me in the form of glittery, amazing text on MSN from our own Shane Baxtor VGA reviewer extraordinaire.
Demand for the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series continues to be very strong, the ATI Radeon HD 5970 remains the fastest graphics card in the world and the
newest members of the AMD graphics family, the AMD Radeon HD 6850 and HD 6870, have set new standards for performance at their respective price
points, and are available in volume.

With this in mind, we are going to take a bit more time before shipping the AMD Radeon HD 6900 series. As of today, the NDA lift for information relating to the AMD Radeon HD 6950 and HD 6970 will be the week of December 13th. We will be providing additional information on these products, including the exact date and time of the NDA lift along with samples in the weeks prior to launch.
This is direct from AMD - get your paws into it and start saving those dollars for just another month now!

If other sites don't parrot Tweaktown and independently report this, I'll believe it. But Napoleon at Chiphell and neliz at B3D are both saying launch by Nov. 30.

Furthermore, Shame Baxtor has a... reputation when it comes to NV-bias:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/video-c...e-bias-wards-nvidia-latest-gts450-review.html

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259144

Edited to add: Also, I thought NDAs also prohibited people from saying when the NDA lifts? So Shame Baxtor talking about week of Dec 13 would violate that. So take what Shame says with a grain of salt. I will wait to hear it from reputable sources like, say, Kyle.

If other sites don't parrot Tweaktown and independently report this, I'll believe it. But Napoleon at Chiphell and neliz at B3D are both saying launch by Nov. 30.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/video-c...e-bias-wards-nvidia-latest-gts450-review.html

Edited to add: Also, I thought NDAs also prohibited people from saying when the NDA lifts? So Shame Baxtor talking about week of Dec 13 would violate that. So take what Shame says with a grain of salt. I will wait to hear it from reputable sources like, say, Kyle.

Well if he was merely saying it as a rumour then yea I would belive you. It seems like he posted a statement by amd, otherwise he would be in crap load of trouble from all the readers and specially AMD. Like you said it might not be true, but oh well we will see.

Well if he was merely saying it as a rumour then yea I would belive you. It seems like he posted a statement by amd, otherwise he would be in crap load of trouble from all the readers and specially AMD. Like you said it might not be true, but oh well we will see.

From what I understand, if you are under NDA you can't even say when NDA lifts, so one way or another he's going to be in trouble, whether it's true (violation of NDA to talk about lift date) or untrue (spreading FUD).

I'm not saying believe me, I just am skeptical and listed reasons why. If Kyle or Brent wants to shed light on this, that'd be great. Because nApoleon and neliz have been very accurate so far with Barts and presumably Cayman as well.

From what I understand, if you are under NDA you can't even say when NDA lifts, so one way or another he's going to be in trouble, whether it's true (violation of NDA to talk about lift date) or untrue (spreading FUD).

Yea I get what you are saying. But it seems like he tweeted the info straight from AMD. Oh well I am in no hurry to upgrade.

I am always in favour of delaying something to get it done right instead of rushing something out the door.

I would imagine it depends on the terms of the NDA. Oh well, more time to learn what all those AMD FSAA modes/names mean.

I think I'll wait on a credible source. Is there anyone less credible than Shane Baxtor?

§kynet;1036415288 said:
I think I'll wait on a credible source. Is there anyone less credible than Shane Baxtor?

Fudzilla's FUDo. (And hell, even Fudo's reporting Nov. 29 now. Whatever, the same guy blathered for months about Fermi being just around the corner until he was finally right last March. Talked about how Barts was delayed till November, etc. And to top it off, he DELETES his old rumors that turn out false. Heh.)

NVidia reports third quarter earnings tomorrow, maybe that has something to do with it. Looks like nobody else is independently reporting Shame Baxtor's stuff. If it turns out to be false... well, enjoy your bribe, Shame Baxtor.

If he made all that crap up, that's open to libel IMO. It's one thing to pass something off as a rumour or a leak, but he is saying that comes from AMD.

Would anyone go down to that level? Hard to believe.

Fudzilla's FUDo. (And hell, even Fudo's reporting Nov. 29 now. Whatever, the same guy blathered for months about Fermi being just around the corner until he was finally right last March. Talked about how Barts was delayed till November, etc. And to top it off, he DELETES his old rumors that turn out false. Heh.)

NVidia reports third quarter earnings tomorrow, maybe that has something to do with it. Looks like nobody else is independently reporting Shame Baxtor's stuff. If it turns out to be false... well, enjoy your bribe, Shame Baxtor.

LOL

If this is true, you gotta be bullshitting. We all thought that AMD was going to bring out their new generation first this time but it turns out NVIDIA is slightly ahead this round.

what, lol. That explains how I couldn't find that article where he claimed to have good info on the RV770 being a midlife refresh of the HD3870 with 480 shaders...

This was rumored for awhile. Reports were that TSMC was slow again and AMD couldn't get enough cards manufactured. When they will finally ditch TSMC?

This was rumored for awhile. Reports were that TSMC was slow again and AMD couldn't get enough cards manufactured. When they will finally ditch TSMC?

The rumor I've seen is that Texas Instruments is manufacturing a chip(I believe something to do with voltage control) for these and Barts, but they can't quite keep up a high enough production rate. Since AMD believes so much in Barts, they don't want to take use chips earmarked for them to produce more Cayman boards and are letting initial supply build up to high enough levels that they won't have a repeat of Cypress.

As for AMD leaving TSMC, I don't see that happening for quite some time. GF doesn't have experience with manufacturing extremely dense and high-power chips such as GPUs, so we'll probably see a 28nm pipe cleaner from them first before AMD even thinks about fully switching over. Even then, if everything works out, GF already has a lot on it's plate and wouldn't be able to handle all of AMD's products. That might change once the new fab in New York is completed and online, but TSMC will still be a source. Even if it's just for Ontario and Zacate APUs.

Wow! I must have missed something here or clicked the article too late before it changed. :eek:

Did Shane Baxtor write somewhere what official date AMD says the 6900 series are delayed from and did TT remove something regarding the "only soft launch OP" speaks of?

I don't know if it's that TSMC is slow...the GTX 580 has tons of cards in stock, and those are larger dies, right? :p

It's a precarious position to be in to have your manufacturing depend on a company whose primary customer is your largest competitor.

I don't know if it's that TSMC is slow...the GTX 580 has tons of cards in stock, and those are larger dies, right? :p

It's a precarious position to be in to have your manufacturing depend on a company whose primary customer is your largest competitor.

580 is more like a 485, 15% is not enough for those who bought the 480 to "upgrade", those who did not buy 480 would probably have no interest in 580, all those give you the impression "tons in stock" becausee it does not sell well.

you know I am doubting this. fud says its the 29th. Charlie says its before Dec 1. when they agree on something there is a good chance its right. Unless something just recently changed I am wondering

We have 6800 cards in good supply, the release date for the GTX 580 was moved up and still in stock, so the 6970 is delayed? Yeah, ok.

This is pissing me off. I'm tempted to upgrade my video cards again, and I want to know how the 6900-series stacks up to the GTX580. Hurry up, AMD.

Did you guys see this post by SampSA, he's a much more credible source

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1492782&postcount=4816

Also, I dont care who officially reports something, if they use the words this comes directly from AMD they can't be lying. There would be legal ramifications for a statement like that because AMD is a publically traded company among other reasons. I think you can count on there being much truth to the delay.

This is another reason why you never hear Fuad or Charlie use those words "this comes directly from amd/nvidia"

The fate can be cruel at times ;) All the nvidia haters few weeks ago were saying nvidia will do paper launch of GTX580 and ati cards will be earlier in shops ;)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259144

LOL, so let me get this straight. Shame or whoever he is shouldn't be talking about NDA lifts, because that's also under NDA, so that means he shouldn't be trusted.

But neliz and Napoleon say it's on November 30, so it's ok ???

Hilarious! Talk about double standards to the extreme :)

580 is more like a 485, 15% is not enough for those who bought the 480 to "upgrade", those who did not buy 480 would probably have no interest in 580, all those give you the impression "tons in stock" becausee it does not sell well.

There are no "tons of stock". Cards such as the GTX 580 and HD 5970 don't have a higher allocation, like the GTX 460 and/or HD 6870.
Cards like the GTX 580 and HD 5970 are also not meant to "sell well" i.e. sell everything or the majority, because they represent high profit per card, unlike GTX 460 and HD 6870, that only represent high profits, when they are bought in large quantities.

I'm hoping these sources aren't credible, but not keeping my hopes up too much

This is bullshit, WTF AMD, I expected AMD/ATI to release their new cards before NVIDIA but it looks like NVIDIA beat them to the punch this round.

The fate can be cruel at times ;) All the nvidia haters few weeks ago were saying nvidia will do paper launch of GTX580 and ati cards will be earlier in shops ;)

It wouldn't matter, regardless. People with a particular preference already have their minds made up about what they'll purchase; impartial people would probably wait on both cards/not care.

here we go again ATI . . . trying to make us impatient so we can buy up your whole stock at one time like always . . . game is getting old

Going to go with another Green card. Sorry AMD but a delay past Dec is not what Ill be waiting around for.

Back