AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU posted today at Modders Inc. for those of you interested.

In the beginning 2014, AMD released the new Kaveri APU. The new APU consists of a quad core processor and a Radeon R7 built into the chip and a slew of other features that are designed to enhance the user experience while using an AMD Kaveri powered system.

They use a 3770k after shutting off HT "to be more fair" and then show us that an R7 250 is indeed really slow so both CPU's provide the same lackluster performance. Great review.

I have a Kaveri, and the biggest problem with it right now is the drivers. They are horrible, honestly. Before this system, I ran a Nvidia 8500GT, and it ran much better, although it was considerably less powerful/capable. Anyway, my biggest complaint with Kaveri right now is that they have horrible drivers, or so it seems, because my games keep crashing. uTorrent is also unstable, but mostly it is my games...

Edit: I posted this below, but everyone here is right, it is actually the memory. I am running some G. Skill 2133 right now, but it came up with 65000+ errors on test 6 (in memtest), and so I am pretty sure that is an issue. lol .... Anyway, ordering new RAM from NewEgg soon. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I have a Kaveri, and the biggest problem with it right now is the drivers. They are horrible, honestly. Before this system, I ran a Nvidia 8500GT, and it ran much better, although it was considerably less powerful/capable. Anyway, my biggest complaint with Kaveri right now is that they have horrible drivers, or so it seems, because my games keep crashing. uTorrent is also unstable, but mostly it is my games...

How hot is it getting? Kaveri is very warm, mine regularly overheated to shutdown with the stock HSF and no overclock. Drivers run great for me, playing several games with no issue.

Steve, you'd be hard pressed to post a more useless review as a front page post.

Did you see this thread? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810803

Multiple people, me included, had unstable Kaveri systems because of memory issues. I'm not sure if it's the lack of maturity in the bios for FM2+ boards, or memory compatibility, or what it is, but I would check memory timings. If you have 1866 memory for example, run it at 1600. Turn things down a notch and it might just fix everything. That is specifically what worked for me. Crysis 3 would crash in 5 minutes or less at 1866. At 1600 it's fine.

I would suspect memory as the cause of stability issues. Radeon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR-2400 has been 100% stable for me. Drivers are fine too with about a dozen games I've tried including the finicky BF4.

I had memory issues with my Kaveri as well.

Bought the 8 GB Radeon 2400 deal, and now it's completely stable.

Link doesn't work anymore and I can't find the review on their site. Weird.

You're not missing out on anything. Too much emphasis on useless synthetic benchmarks.

Actually, it is a memory issue, and not a driver issue. I just ran memtest, and had 65000+ errors on test 6... Ordering new memory from NewEgg soon. Damn G. Skill...

Did you see this thread? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810803

Multiple people, me included, had unstable Kaveri systems because of memory issues. I'm not sure if it's the lack of maturity in the bios for FM2+ boards, or memory compatibility, or what it is, but I would check memory timings. If you have 1866 memory for example, run it at 1600. Turn things down a notch and it might just fix everything. That is specifically what worked for me. Crysis 3 would crash in 5 minutes or less at 1866. At 1600 it's fine.

I didn't see that thread. Thank you! I'll go through it soon.

Initially my system was very unstable.

After testing and research it was Also ram issues.

My issues was, that the Mobo Auto mode kept on selecting the RAM Default setting wrong with a too low voltage, 0.2 lower than my memory default.

When i either ran manual and up ed the voltage, it ran a bit more stable. Still had crashes.
Though i didn't have the correct advanced timing settings or what ever setting besides the 9-9-9-24 settings.

So i did some reading of the manual =)
Turned AMP ON on the Gigabyte which allows the motherboard to read all the Memories stored Profiles !!! And Bam correct Voltage and Mapping and Timing. Now its running like a beast =)

My wife's RIchland system ran games faster when I installed faster ram (laptop) but if I built myself a Kaveri or richland desktop I would buy ram already at the speed I want it to run, maybe check reviews of Kaveri systems and see what ram they used?

I am running some Kingston HyperX 2400mhz RAM with my 7850k right now, but I have it running at 2133mhz. At 2400mhz it would blue screen. Didn't try tweaking the settings in manual mode, still need to do a memtest. So far the system runs great at 2133mhz.

Update: Just got some new Radeon R9 "Gamer Series" 2133 RAM, and finished running Memtest a bit ago, and got zero errors. Last time, with my old G.Skill 2133, I got over 65,000 errors. This Radeon memory seems to be working perfectly. Just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks again for the help.

Old memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519

New memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820403051

The Radeon 8GB DDR3-2400 kit is only $99.99 and also includes free shipping and no tax if you buy direct.

http://www.radeonmemory.com/mobopromo.php

$20 off promo code for 8GB DDR3-2400 kit:
ASROCK20OFF

$30 off promo code for 16GB DDR3-2133 kit:
ASROCK30OFF

Can you guys share your experience with your Kaveri system ?

I am thinking of building one.

I love mine. Once I got the RAM situation sorted out, everything now works crazy well. No problems at all since I installed this new RAM. I would recommend a Kaveri APU to anyone who isn't crazy hardcore though. As I am fairly casual and just want my games to look really good without much effort, I chose to build a Kaveri system. Also, it is a very new socket, and so the support will last the longest for it (FM2+).

Anyway, build a Kaveri if you want, and you will probably love it. I know I do.

AMDs APUs are the future though.

if you choose to go without dual graphics (the r7 250s are overpriced right now imo), you can expect an overclocked 7850k and its r7 gpu capable of 1080p gaming at 30 fps with medium settings most of the time. I ran fraps numbers on my 7850k with dual graphics disabled and found performance against dual graphics overclocked 6800k+hd 6670
to be very close. here's the frapslog of the [email protected] and embedded r7@900mhz:

fraps2-1.png

i'm using the same in-game settings here as with the write up in the hyperlink.

I love mine. Once I got the RAM situation sorted out, everything now works crazy well. No problems at all since I installed this new RAM. I would recommend a Kaveri APU to anyone who isn't crazy hardcore though. As I am fairly casual and just want my games to look really good without much effort, I chose to build a Kaveri system. Also, it is a very new socket, and so the support will last the longest for it (FM2+).

Anyway, build a Kaveri if you want, and you will probably love it. I know I do.

AMDs APUs are the future though.

I feel the same. Personally, with the launch of both the A10-7850K and the A10-7700K, I think we are going to continue seeing more and more performance improvements in the future. They're not only great for everyday computing, but also great for gaming too...the A10-7850K can run BF4.

Would've preferred GDDR5 like the Sony PS4 but nevertheless great bang for the buck and plays BF4 nicely at ~50 fps at 1600x900 which was included free with the $200 A10-7850K plus Gigabyte mITX F2A88XN-WIFI Microcenter bundle. CPU performance is plenty and is about double that of dual-socket Xeon 5160 which was already overkill for most things but with the added benefit of low ~60W power consumption for general computing like Chrome browsing. Next logical upgrade is to toss in a R9 290 or 290X when prices come down.

Back