AMD athlon 64 3000+ or 2800+

Ezekiel

Limp Gawd
I am looking to pick up one of these to oc..

My question is do they both produce the same overclocks or does one do it better then the other..

I am going to get the Newcastle core or either of them, and the Chaintech board to oc with.

If anyone has any links or could just give me a straight up answer on which does oc better that would be great.

Thanks
EZ

Ezekiel said:
I am looking to pick up one of these to oc..

My question is do they both produce the same overclocks or does one do it better then the other..

I am going to get the Newcastle core or either of them, and the Chaintech board to oc with.

If anyone has any links or could just give me a straight up answer on which does oc better that would be great.

Thanks
EZ

Stick to 3000+, better base to start from. You might be able to get similar point with 2800+ but chances are you won't.

thanks for the input, how do you like that chaintech board you have? thats the one i am considering getting

at the price points the cpus are at now, i would get the 3000+ it's at a muliplier of 10, whereas the 2800+ is at 9.

i went with the 2800 because i bought it at $187 USD and the 3000+ was a good $50 more at the time.

JustPyro said:
at the price points the cpus are at now, i would get the 3000+ it's at a muliplier of 10, whereas the 2800+ is at 9.

i went with the 2800 because i bought it at $187 USD and the 3000+ was a good $50 more at the time.
??? the multiplyer for the amd xp 2800 is 12.5 x 166, and i have mine overclocked to 12.5 x 180 with no problems on the stock heatsink.

Would go for ZNF3 or MSI. Mosfet runs way too hot when heavy OC'ing. Also some oddity with bios is not too good (had long learning curve and components trial).
Good luck :)

Thermite Paste said:
??? the multiplyer for the amd xp 2800 is 12.5 x 166, and i have mine overclocked to 12.5 x 180 with no problems on the stock heatsink.

dude, they rea talking about ATHLON SIXTY-FOUR.

well i got my 3000+ at new egg for 175. thats w/ the Cg revision(CO was 4 bucks less, but i said what the hell is $4 when i already am over $150<shrugs>)
and i got a Abit board(Kv8 Pro) which ill also recommend

my $0.02

MemoryInAGarden said:
I would go for the 3200+ than either one of those. You can add mhz, but not cache
good point, but i was limited in budget...

3000 is the better choice. I would really wait a week or so as you can get 3200 for right at 200 and the oc will reach 3500+ speeds pretty easily. As for mobos I like the Chaintech. I am about to upgrade my present mobo to that exact board when I get home...

Back