AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

I saw this earlier on the [H] main page. About time that AMD came out with a stock 3 ghz part. Seems like we've been stuck at 2.6-2.8 ghz for a long time. Yea, you's expect this to be a 65nm part with it being a new release.

my guess is this is happening because not many people are buying highend 3GHz cores from AMD right now.

First we all know that core2 owns the midrange to highend, so naturally the only CPUs AMD is going to be selling in large quantities are low end procs that people are buying because they are cheaper than the cheapest core2s or for OCing purposes. That and intels dual and quad parts making are roads into opterons business...so I'm betting AMD has too many high end cores sitting around.

Smart way to try to move some of that inventory imo...at least people that don't know any better will buy some of them instead of them just sitting on the shelves as opterons / being canabalized into lower clocked cores.

seriously. :rolleyes:

give me a break AMD. You've lost all of your fan boys already, way to get rid of future-fan boys too.

lmaf:rolleyes: Thats good, but true in a sense. I was AMD but Im going wherever the best bang for the buck is.:D

Is it really hard to put a better description like: AMD Athlon 64 AM2 6000+

Every time I see some of these threads, I get excited about thinking it is a socket 939 processer and its a let down, then find out its for Am2 socket.

Oh it's not a hot deal, kinda of cold.
Because some of us have to work a second or third job to afford it.

Come on folks!

I payed 810 for a Slot A Athlon 800 when it came out - 599 for a dual core 3GB part? that's not THAT expensive - look at what an extreme edition Core 2 Duo 6800 costs! it's over a grand!

yea it's a bit more then low-cost beefy overclockers...but in the grand scheme it's really not THAT bad.

oh well

Is it really hard to put a better description like: AMD Athlon 64 AM2 6000+

Every time I see some of these threads, I get excited about thinking it is a socket 939 processer and its a let down, then find out its for Am2 socket.

Oh it's not a hot deal, kinda of cold.
Because some of us have to work a second or third job to afford it.

IIRC, AMD said there would be no new CPUs for the 939 plaform at least 5 or 6 months ago.

I don't recall what the last 939 processor was, but I'm 99% sure that the 5000+ was never on the 939. FX-62, I think, was the last FX CPU (I could be wrong...I'd never pay what htey wanted for a top of the line processor).

Come on folks!

I payed 810 for a Slot A Athlon 800 when it came out - 599 for a dual core 3GB part? that's not THAT expensive - look at what an extreme edition Core 2 Duo 6800 costs! it's over a grand!

yea it's a bit more then low-cost beefy overclockers...but in the grand scheme it's really not THAT bad.

oh well

Athlons were actually good compared to their Intel counterparts. In this batch, this $600 processor gets slaughtered by the $300 E6600.

IIRC, AMD said there would be no new CPUs for the 939 plaform at least 5 or 6 months ago.

I don't recall what the last 939 processor was, but I'm 99% sure that the 5000+ was never on the 939. FX-62, I think, was the last FX CPU (I could be wrong...I'd never pay what htey wanted for a top of the line processor).

Oh I'm so sorry I even asked, I have two motherboards that need a socket 939 processor, well can't sell them because no one wants them, so to the trash they go.

But I'm not about to shell out a new motherboard and a new processor when I damn well know AMD still has a Opteron in a socket 939 processor.

I'm also not like some of you that upgrade when they just release something new. If this price seems high to me, it probally because at the wages I make I cannot afford it.

you can get a s939 processor for 1/4 of the price that will overclock to 3GHz

AMD is failing, their next CPU better be made by ATI ;)

Oh I'm so sorry I even asked, I have two motherboards that need a socket 939 processor, well can't sell them because no one wants them, so to the trash they go.

But I'm not about to shell out a new motherboard and a new processor when I damn well know AMD still has a Opteron in a socket 939 processor.

I'm also not like some of you that upgrade when they just release something new. If this price seems high to me, it probally because at the wages I make I cannot afford it.

I hope you are being sarcastic. I have older boxes/machines than that I keep that I find completely useful such as:

Pentium Pro 200 (firewall 1 in a realtime failover configuration)
Via 1ghz (pentium2-400 speed integer, ppro 200 speed floating point)
Pentium2-266 (not currently used, but thinking of doing a third firewall with it :) )
Dual p3-450 (currently off. Might make an Xwin server if I can find some cheap pc133 ram)
Couple of athlonxp's sitting unused (procs + mb)

If you are seriously going to toss working 939mb's in the garbage, let me know. I'd personally grab a 4000+ for $79 and call it a day.

Rob

The link is now dead.

Newegg.com said:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:

Sorry, if my reply seemed like an attack. I was mostly defending the OP/explaining why he likley didn't include AM2 in the subject.

I'm hopeful that i can sell my 939 NF4 on ebay, but time will tell

Trash? What are they? If you're going to toss them I'll gladly pay shipping for you to send them to me.

@ you 939 guys:

AMD made it very clear when the released the FX-60 that it was going to be the last of the s939 stuff. Whether or not Opteron is included in that statement, I don't know, but if you see FX or X2 or Athlon, it's not going to be a 939 ever again.

Let's see how this thing OC's if there's any headroom left in it at hall.

Anyone want to be [H] Purchase one and let us know?

@ you 939 guys:

AMD made it very clear when the released the FX-60 that it was going to be the last of the s939 stuff. Whether or not Opteron is included in that statement, I don't know, but if you see FX or X2 or Athlon, it's not going to be a 939 ever again.

I believe complaint isn't that they didn't announce it. It's that they killed the platform before they killed the 754.

Yeah, I never really liked the 754 in the first place. I'm surprised it still exists. I had one for about 3 months before I sold it off for a 939. Anyhoo, I'm not an uber-geek that searches for everything all the time, and I saw the announcement that 939 was going away. Maybe I was just lucky.

Back