AMD Athlon XP 2500+ or Sempron 3100+?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title says, which would you rather run? My soon-to-be-fiance has an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core in her pc now. It's a mATX board and case. Is it worth it to buy an el cheapo $25.00 (after rebate) mATX mobo and throw in that s754 Sempy I have laying around? Or would she just be fine with the Athlon?

I know it's not much of a performance difference, but it would run slightly cooler and she'd have 64-bit support. The other specs are minimalistic:
512MB DDR333 (actually DDR333, not 400)
Geforce FX5900XT-OC (my old card)
60GB Maxtor ATA

What speed increase can she see?

Mobo I'm looking at: here
Is there a better deal on a differenc/better board?

EDIT: would this one be worth $20 more? Or this open box DFI?

The only real benefit I see is your 754 is a 64-bit processor. The Barton is nothing to sneeze at... in it's day it was an awesome overclocker. PErhaps you can overclock it if it isn't already.

I think that, if you overclock the 3100+ Sempron (which they overclock well, I hear) it will win out over the Barton. The 3100+ Has 256Kb L2 and overclocks well, the onboard memory controller and 64-bit support are nice incentives. But, if she is satisfied with the current performance, why upgrade? And if upgrading, I'd try to jump a little further than that (3000+ 754 Venice comes to mind).

It might be better to scrounge together a few more parts and put a 3rd system together in case you don't have one. maybe throw a couple hard drives in there for network storage. Does she do anything that would really require any extra power?

IMC would really help..
wink.gif

Back