AMD Beats Intel in 45 nm "Low Power" Server Test: Neal Nelson

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Beats-Intel-in-45-nm-Low-bw-14675246.html
A server configured with new AMD (NYSE: AMD - News) low power Opteron “Shanghai HE” processors used 13 to 21 percent less power while delivering better throughput when compared to a virtually identical server configured with Intel (NASDAQ: INTC - News) Xeon “low power” processors. The test results were collected during extensive testing by Neal Nelson, an independent computer performance consultant. The results have been given the consultant’s money back accuracy guarantee.

Good to see. I thought even the non-HE Shanghais were better in energy usage too. I'd like to get a few of these for my servers, but I think I might wait for the Istanbul chips.

I guess he had to hurry up and test that configuration since power hogging FB-DIMM platforms are being replaced in a few weeks (3/30). :p Care to guess how that's going to change the results?

I guess he had to hurry up and test that configuration since power hogging FB-DIMM platforms are being replaced in a few weeks (3/30). :p Care to guess how that's going to change the results?

I sure as hell don't know :p I'm guessing it will reduce the power, but will it be enough?
the throughput will tip in intels favour, but I think AMD will retain the less power usage per cpu.

I sure as hell don't know :p I'm guessing it will reduce the power, but will it be enough?
the throughput will tip in intels favour, but I think AMD will retain the less power usage per cpu.

Power: down
Performance: up

You do the math...better IPP coupled with better wattage = Win.

(*hint-hint* This is what i7 was designed for...server usage)

Power: down
Performance: up

You do the math...better IPP coupled with better wattage = Win.

(*hint-hint* This is what i7 was designed for...server usage)

Maybe you didn't read the post

I said it will perform better(better throughput) while having less power
but will it be using less power then the low power shanghais ? that part I thought AMD would retain

PowerStream Helping AMD to Save More Than Just Data
03/20/2009 07:49:06
Technology company expected to save $150,000 in annual electricity costs
YORK REGION, ONTARIO, Mar 20, 2009 (Marketwire via COMTEX News Network) -- AMD (NYSE:AMD), an industry-leading technology company which

designs computing and graphics solutions, expects to see a large reduction in their electricity bill this year at their Markham location

thanks to the Data Centre Incentive Program (DCIP), a conservation initiative pioneered by their local electricity distribution company

PowerStream with the support of the Ontario Power Authority (OPA).

PowerStream's DCIP initiative, offers financial incentives to participating commercial customers with data centres. Companies that reduce

electricity consumption by way of server consolidations or the installation of energy-efficient servers and other computer equipment are

eligible to receive financial incentives of $300 per kilowatt saved.

The AMD Markham location was one of the first PowerStream customers to participate in the pilot program, and is now expected to achieve

annual savings of at least $150,000. The successful pilot has enabled PowerStream and Toronto Hydro, another electric utility which now

offers a similar program, to extend this new initiative to other companies within their respective service territories.

"We are pleased to have introduced such a successful conservation program," said Patrick Guran, Chief Energy Conservation Officer at

PowerStream. "The technology now exists that can transform data centres into more energy-efficient operational areas for businesses. We are

pleased to be able to provide incentives that enable this to happen, which ultimately helps to protect the environment."

AMD Markham had impressive results from the pilot program; the company downsized the number of server racks in one of its data centres by

nearly 50% and reduced its electricity demand by 200 kilowatts while increasing the overall computing capacity.

"AMD Markham believes that climate change is a significant environmental challenge and we are dedicated to reducing our impact on the

environment," says Richard Conohan, Program Manager, Toronto Environmental Health and Safety, AMD. "Participating in the Data Centre

Incentive Program has helped us do this while simultaneously reducing our energy costs."

Through DCIP, participants see immediate and on-going financial savings with reduced energy consumption, as well as the reduction of

associated carbon emissions.

PowerStream launched the pilot for the Data Centre Incentive Program in May 2008 with more than six businesses responding.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE:AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to

ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

About PowerStream

PowerStream is the second largest municipally-owned electricity distribution company in Ontario, providing service to more than 315,000

residential and business customers in Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Beeton, Markham, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill,

Thornton, Tottenham and Vaughan. It is an incorporated entity, jointly owned by the municipalities of Barrie, Markham and Vaughan.

SOURCE: PowerStream Inc.

Media Contact:
PowerStream Inc.
Eric Fagen
Director, Corporate Communications
(905) 532-4522 or Media Line (24/7): (905) 532-4400
[email protected]pyright (C) 2009 Marketwire. All rights reserved.

Back