AMD cpu question

clone#13

Limp Gawd
Hi all, just a small question concerning AMD cpu temp. mine is an AMD athlon 1.2 and running at 52 degrees.....with the mobo temp around 30 degrees.....am I running this cpu too hot? I am trying to find any threads here that talk about that, but no luck. My cpu fan is a thermaltake volcano 9 at 3200 rpm. I can set the speed higher, but that damn fan is noisy. Thanks for any comments

It's not uncommon for your classic athlon to be that hot, it does have the higher Vcore of 1.75V...the newer ones have ~1.6V Vcore or less for the mobiles..

Here's a checklist to go over for heat concerns:
Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several board have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

Later

MD

PS you can come visit over at the amd processor support forum if you want more answers or specs on that cpu:

http://forums.amd.com/

thanks a lot for this detailed info.........I will check out these points....thought I think more and more is that my cpu temp recording might not be as accurate....but thanks anyways

Back