AMD[H]unter's Large amount of wallpaper...

Heres a firefox wallpaper for you if you don't have it.
mandoluxfirefox01l12808jp.jpg

nice, kinda like what i started a while go, except i cba to sit there waiting for them massive imaged to load :)

tanjO said:
nice, kinda like what i started a while go, except i cba to sit there waiting for them massive imaged to load :)

I know, but I didn't get many responses when I just posted the links, and I ain't gonna thumbnail them.

Wow, what a collection! What's the status of the copyright on all these?

I don't know, but I am not claiming ownership of them, merely sharing them with the coimmunity.

AMD[H]unter said:
I don't know, but I am not claiming ownership of them, merely sharing them with the coimmunity.

Then why would you think it's okay to redistirbute them? Maybe you should read this article.

mikeblas said:
Then why would you think it's okay to redistirbute them? Maybe you should read this article.

How is he involving copyright issues? All he's doing is simply showing people his wallpaper for people who might be intersted in using them, isnt that what people are doing on the official wallpaper thread?

tanjO said:
How is he involving copyright issues? All he's doing is simply showing people his wallpaper for people who might be intersted in using them, isnt that what people are doing on the official wallpaper thread?

Who holds the copyright on each of the images?

tanjO said:
Well definitely not you, so chill :)

Thanks, man, I was just trying to be an involved member of the community, but I guess I can't ....lol Anyway, I am gonna take down the pics I have here now and get a new set up, fewer, though seeing as this is taking a lot of bandwidth. :p

Host them on imageshack and thumbnail them, sure your a member of the comunity, you're signed up here arnt you?

CaptnMix76 said:
Good job on all of your work, I love them all. Keep it up!
Not worried about the IP owners, huh? That's too bad.

...uh oh ok....I want them all :D

is there a way to save them all at once, instead of right click and save? :cool:

Thanks AmdHunter!

mikeblas, I thought it was AMD's work, give me a break. How about this one?

Good job everyone, you're all winners.

I don't think it's AMD's own stuff -- it if was, he would have stepped forward. It would also be very surprising of him to give away everything after doing all that photography and image editing.

Why not give the original creators a break? They're the ones who've been working hard! Typing in a few copy commands is nothing compared to what they've done.

So I guess you might as well go say that in all the wallpaper threads. I am just trying to share the wallpapers I have with the community. If you don't like what I have done, I'm sorry. I NEVER said that I MADE the wallpapers.

"Gathered here, and many other places."

Did I say I made them? That's what I thought. Oh, I have been away from this subforum, I am not trying to not "step forward". Sheesh!

Saint, if you want ALL of them, I can zip them and host it for you, just PM me if you want it. I aint posting it publicly, it would KILL my bandwidth.

EDIT: mike, these were free wallpapers, and I am sure the origional creators would like to see that their work is well liked here.

Perhaps I should. But I stated with this one.

An assumption isn't good enough. Until they've explicitly given you the right to reproduce and redistribute their work, you're blatantly violating their rights of ownership.

I am finished with this stupidity. I am merely sharing some of my collection. End of subject.

It's a pity you disrespect the work of others so much that you think intellectual property issues are stupid.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=805117

Start bitching in the above thread.

I respect the origional creator's work, so I am sharing it with other people so they can enjoy the art also. If you don't like my thread, go troll somewhere else. I don't think property issues are stupid, but you are making a big deal out of nothing.

mikeblas said:
It's a pity you disrespect the work of others so much that you think intellectual property issues are stupid.
last i checked anybody could go out to a website, such as deviantart.com, and grab any wallpaper there they want. the people who post their stuff there arent getting paid for anything, and are allowing deviantart to freely distribute it to other people.

therefore, by Hunter rehosting it or reposting it, he is in turn helping the people who made the wallpaper. remember, the whole point of the artists giving it to DA is to freely distribute their artwork to everybody else on the web.

if the artist really cared to have credit for their artwork then they wouldve put a watermark or signature on their artwork. and if they did, then good for them. theyre gettin credit for their artwork. the whole point of the artist giving this out is for people to see it and come back for more from them. if they didnt watermark it, then too bad.

now, whether you agree or disagree w/ any of the points i just made, i dont care. say im wrong or agree w/ me, do w/e you want. but either way there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ him redistributing wallpapers, and you need to go troll elsewhere. im done.

Check again:
Copyright © 2000-2005 deviantART, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
No portions of deviantART may be used without expressed, written permission.
It's not clear if DeviantART, Inc, is asserting a compilation copyright or a content copyright. They could make a case for both, though a compilation copyright would be easier argument.

The Deviant Art etiquette page asserts this limitation, among others:
Posting another artist's material found inside or outside the community, not claiming ownership, but failing to seek the written authorization of the original author for its use.

That's precisely the spirit of copyright law; whoever created a work has the right to dictate exactly how it is redistributed. They own those rights, and are able to assign, lease, sell, or revoke them as they see fit. Redistributing the work without the express permission of the copyright owner is the problem, not asserting ownership.

Deviant Art users frequently post complaints of rips to other sites at the "Rip Reporting" topic in their forums. For them, "rip" often refers to artwork that's slightly modified and reposted, but it can also involve reposting DA-derived collections.

It's entirely possible that these images include copyright messages or watermarks that aren't visible to you; steganographic watermarks are not unheard of. Further, they don't need to have a visible copyright notice in order for their author to assert their rights.

TSS Modder said:
last i checked anybody could go out to a website, such as deviantart.com, and grab any wallpaper there they want. the people who post their stuff there arent getting paid for anything, and are allowing deviantart to freely distribute it to other people.

therefore, by Hunter rehosting it or reposting it, he is in turn helping the people who made the wallpaper. remember, the whole point of the artists giving it to DA is to freely distribute their artwork to everybody else on the web.

By uploading to Deviant Art, the artists are allowing deviantART to redistrubte the work. Not anyone else.

Maybe they don't mind that it was scraped, repackaged, and redistributed -- but maybe they do. The fact is, it's their decision, and Hunter apparently hasn't bothered asking.

Your argument appears to be based on what you want to be legal and allowable, rather than on actual law.

AMD[H]unter said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=805117

Start bitching in the above thread.

I respect the origional creator's work, so I am sharing it with other people so they can enjoy the art also. If you don't like my thread, go troll somewhere else. I don't think property issues are stupid, but you are making a big deal out of nothing.
Or this one:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=753262

There's 86 pages of wallpapers and desktops there. Man, what a colossal ripoff that must be, AND without anyone protesting either. Or maybe, is it possible, that's OK ? Can't be.

/sarcasm

deadrody said:
There's 86 pages of wallpapers and desktops there. Man, what a colossal ripoff that must be, AND without anyone protesting either. Or maybe, is it possible, that's OK ? Can't be.
It's possible, sure. But incredibly unlikely; a more plausible explanation is that the people participating in these threads are ignorant of copyright law. The lack of protest is irrelevant; are all the property owners even aware that the posting is going on?

Back