amd hangs/crash

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
my x2 toledo 4200+ @ 2.7ghz hangs every night .. so i am on it, i go to bed the next morning i need to manually boot because it hanged.

so i went to the bios ... i loaded default optimized settings (am using a dfi sli-d mobo) .. now its at normal stock speeds 2.2Ghz .. and it happend again last night...

i don't know i think its heat .. this arctic freezer pro 64 sucks ..

any other suggestions?

hmmm. i dont see what that will help with but ok

AMD 64 X2 4200+ Toledo @ 2.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro
2x 512MB ram Corsair PC-3200XL
Geforce 6800 PCIe
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLi-D
450watt psu

at stock speeds it's at 45C now, wtf ...with air conditioning on, room temp at 20C ...
it has Arctic Silver 5 .. i just put a little bit in the middle and that was it so it wasn't TOO much .. just as the sit suggests..

i definately don't know .. i want to try and put the stock hsf from amd tha my 3000+ had and see if the temps are same or what...

it hanging could be all kinds of things really.

Do you have another psu? have you tried taking out your video card to see if it still hangs? have you tried running some ram checking utility? why do you think it is the cpu?

You sir, speak blasphemy!!! AC Freezer 64 Pro is the best heatsink you can buy for the money. (yes there are better ones, but not for 20 bucks).

Anyone who puts 450 watt power supply as the description for their power supply has a 99% chance (yes that was scientifically derived) to have the biggest piece of shit for a power supply. As a matter of fact if that's all the description they give for their power supply, then their power supply wouldn't even be good enough for a door stop because it's probably too light to even function as one.

If you do have a decent 450 watt power supply, then you just spoke double-blasphemy as it's an injusttice to all good power supplies to just call it a 450 watt power supply. What freaking brand and model is it man!!??

There's also the possibility that when you mounted your AC Freezer 64 Pro that you didn't get the hold-down bracket centered on the positioning/fulcrum nipples and it's not mounted properly.

my x2 toledo 4200+ @ 2.7ghz hangs every night .. so i am on it, i go to bed the next morning i need to manually boot because it hanged.

so i went to the bios ... i loaded default optimized settings (am using a dfi sli-d mobo) .. now its at normal stock speeds 2.2Ghz .. and it happend again last night...

i don't know i think its heat .. this arctic freezer pro 64 sucks ..

any other suggestions?

This post of yours:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031655035#post1031655035

reveals that the cpu is running pretty high. 64C?

You likely dont have the heatsink on properly.

ima open up my case and check that right now.. ill let you know

and btw.. lol Massive, nice reply .. i laughed ...its an asus 450watt psu .. its heavy duty , i don't remember the model but it was a good one 2 yrs ago.. i paid like 95 or 100 euro's for it ...

bleh .. 3rd time, i cleaned up the cpu, cleaned up the heatsink with rubbing alcohol. re-applied the arctic silver 5 .. booted up and again +/- 40C on idle .. at stock speeds 2.2Ghz

i guess the only solution would be to spend around $40-$50 instead of $20

When the CPU is at 40C, do the heatsink blades feel a bit warm or cold?

If they are cold, rather than blowing a wad of cash, it might be wise to seek help from those that know of the problem and get your heatsink fitted properly.

I have a 3800+ x2 running @ 2.6GHz and it keeps my cpu around 38C with the arctic freezer 64 pro. So I can tell you know that heatsink and fan are the bees knees for the price.

Anyways what are your voltages at?? Make sure you don't have it set to default and then have the voltage multiplier as well. Also hangs/freeze ups could also be memory related. Have you memtest'd your ram?

When the CPU is at 40C, do the heatsink blades feel a bit warm or cold?

If they are cold, rather than blowing a wad of cash, it might be wise to seek help from those that know of the problem and get your heatsink fitted properly.

Nothing in this entire thread suggests to me your crashing has "anything" to do with the processor. 40C is only warm, sure a tad high for idle, but start worrying around 60C. My advice is stop focusing on your processor.

Logical process of elimination is the only way. Start with a Ram test as above, use Memtest86.

What are you doing when it crashes, typing in Microsoft Word or playing Crysis?. I assume you are running up to date virus protection and have scanned for Spyware?

so as you've read ... I have the DFI Sli-D ... do i place the arctic cooler facing up towards the ram and a lil higher is the psu .. or down towards the videocard ?

i hope you guys understand me ...

so as you've read ... I have the DFI Sli-D ... do i place the arctic cooler facing up towards the ram and a lil higher is the psu .. or down towards the videocard ?

i hope you guys understand me ...

Thats it keep thinking you have a heat problem, nothing like wild guessing and illogical problem solving to try and solve a problem :rolleyes:

i am 100% sure it is heat problem, i mem tested ram, i ran orthos, i ran prime
all with airconditioning on ...

i turn it off, go to bed, wake up in the morning, the pc is frozen..i manually restart, go in bios and see that the thing went up to 60C on STOCK speeds..

i re-applied thermal paste, repositioned the hsf , i did all those things ..

i have no more idea what is going on

instead of have wasted $70 for the cpu and $20 for the hsf, plus shipping lets say total of +/-$100, i should have saved up another month and buy myself the abit ip35 and a c2d e6750 and some ram

i learned my lesson though..patience is everything...

Thats it keep thinking you have a heat problem, nothing like wild guessing and illogical problem solving to try and solve a problem :rolleyes:

Please read post #3 where the OP says
"at stock speeds it's at 45C now, wtf ...with air conditioning on, room temp at 20C ..."
Pretty high for idle I think, especially at stock speeds!
Idle should be nearer 30C.

Also Ethug in post #7 reported that the OPs load temp is 64C which is also high for a room at 20C.

What was that about logic?

the 64C was when i had it oc'd to 2.7, running orthos, both cores at 100% load

Hey did you set you Vcore back to its normal Voltage for stock setting?

2nd Check for abnormal CPU usage and go over your drivers. Bad install or updated driver can crash a pc @stock speeds after its been on for a while. Also hope you are using AMD driver for dual core . Your system manager should report Dual Cores. Make shure its not set to UNIPROCESOR in system manager for your core chip. Even though CPU -Z reports 2xCores i always double check this..

3rd Sleep mode can cuase this too.. I always run Pc with no sleep state or screen saver .

4th does orthos show any errors in test ...Is your ram set to stock and the correct voltage?

This is only a few things that could happen and there are several more that can cause trouble when a pc is always on..

Take your time and write down every thing that you have checked.. Trouble shoot one step at a time. If your Pc isnt crashing when your on it or playing any game after say 3-4 hours of use ,id suspect something other than Heat. Im not saying it cant be heat but there are numerouse possibilities that can cuase a pc to shut down besides heat!.

Maybe put your stock heatsink on with stock settings and see what happens.this of coarse is if you have a stock heatsink.

Good luck;)

Note: With those type of coolers i recomend blowing the heat UP towards the ram PSU . If you have fans at top of case make shure they EXAUST HOT AIR OUT and the fan in the lower bottom sucks CoolAIR IN.. This in return will create a up flow to EXAUST HOT AIR out of the case more effectively limit any dead spots around the board. Just nit pick every thing you did and eventually youll find the problem.

i am 100% sure it is heat problem... i turn it off, go to bed, wake up in the morning, the pc is frozen..

I have to ask... have you ever bothered to boot PC in early morning and run all day to see when it hangs, if at all? If it's truly temp. issue then it should do it daytime, not just overnight.

If it runs all dang day with no issues, then you are looking at something night related.
--Virus that is set to execute at some given time?
--Some other scheduled task that doesn't play nice?
--as stated earlier, SLEEP or HIBERNATE function enabled?

because during day time, when i'm at work, my mom is in the "office" where the pc's are working on her computer,while mine is being unused..but the airconditioning is on..then when i get home and i go sit behind the pc, airconditioning is on...so basically at night, it gets hot in there...

i took the arctic cooling 64 out, i cleaned the cpu,put some arctic silver and put the stock hsf that came with my venice 3000+, almost 3 yrs ago ...guess what?
I get 42C on idle and around 50C when playing games ..

that would be normal for stock cooler ...
so basically with stock hsf, i am at same temps ...

could anyone recommend me a good HSF for me X2 4200+ ?
don't worry about price, i just want a real good one because the arctic cooler isn't doing it for me.

Thanks

If you're getting the same temps with the stock cooler as you are with an AC64 Freezer, then you've either got a defective AC64, or it's mounted wrong. Care to take a picture of how you have it mounted?

The fan blows through the HS so the fan should be either opposite your rear exhaust fan or opposite your power supply. If it's on the same side as either, then it's on backwards. When it's mounted, you should have very minimal play when trying to twist the heatsink. If you can turn the heat sink quite a good ways, then you're bracket isn't engaging the base's nipples.

believe me, i first had it normal .. if you place an ac 64 pro on a dfi lanparty nf4 mobo.. either ultra, sli-d , sli-dr etc .. it will be facing up towards the ram...

i search the web and i've read on other forums that people were turning the bracket 90 degrees in order to have the fan facing the front case in order to inhale air and exhale trough rear vent .. NONE helped and I am 100% sure i was placing it correct on the cpu using arctic silver 5 ..

i am 100% sure that this AC Freezer Pro 64 isn't making it ... and the thing is, i live on an island in the caribbean, so for me to RMA this , is a pain .. so i better go and buy a new hsf ...

how wel would either one of these cool? better than the AC Freezer 64 Pro ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

I run the system in my sig. Ambient temps are around 80F with decent in-case ventilation. At full load my temps never breach 50C, idles at 35C.

Personally I think you're setting yourself up for more disappointment thinking a better heatsink is going to help. I would RMA the processor and motherboard if possible.

Has that motherboard run other cpu's ok?

yes my friend. this motherboard ran a venice 3000+ (1.8 @ 2.6 Ghz on stock cooling)
I updated the bios for it to recognize the x2 now, installed it and all but the temps are just killing me..

now i say to myself that i should have stayed with it and just save up another month or 2,and by now i could have bought a new system...

we have almost the same setup now i see arcturus...

which Bios are you running?

Only other suggestion i have is to install the OS fresh and while you're at it check for bent pins. It's frustrating, I understand.

Running my Opty 165 at 3.0 Ghz (air) and full load never gets that hot. Under non-load it's about 34C full load around 45-50C dependant on ambient air temp. 64C is freaking hot. I don't care what anyone says. If yours gets that hot you need to check your airflow. What kind of case are you using?

Side note: I have my PC to shut down if it hits 55C, I make sure I never get that hot. If I get that high, there is an issue.

i heard you have to let it "burn" in?

lol, so actually leave it there a little for the paste to actually "cure"

oh wait .. should i have the power plugged on the motherboard or directly to psu ?

Back