AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

I just upgraded last month to the 7950 so may pick up a 9 series next July.

i'm thinking of picking up the 9970 (or whatever designation they use) because:
a) my 7970 has recently started running hot, may need to RMA it
b) BF4 will release soon and i'm ape-shit crazy about playing it
c) been a while since i've upgraded and i'm bored

i'm anxious for the Sept. 25th announcement of these cards. also curious about potential 780 price cuts as that's another option.

I may look into doing a big upgrade on my system (see specs below), with Haswell processing, faster ram, ssd, and a new Hawaii-based gpu. I should see a significant gain.

Yeah bring it on! Hopefully it's a new card and not an overclocked refresh...

That's what last year was for both AMD and Nvidia (with ghz versions and 700s, respectively), so this time around it should be new...

...only thing that worries me (besides the price) is that the initial hardwares may have unexpected problems (overheating, etc etc).

Why? Why would you even think that?

Guessing that if it's really on par or with the 780/Titan or better it'll use a ton of power and have a lot of heat as a consequence based off Nvidia's current design winning most of those arguments. Also the lack of 20nm availability may make the situation worse. Who knows? Perhaps AMD has a really killer design that is just as or more powerful than anything Nvidia has out and is even more power efficient on a 28nm process.

We're all just speculating until (hopefully) the end of this month. I want this competition more than anything (coming from an Nvidiot's POV). I'm sick of the high prices and how the game is currently being played.

I like this naming scheme much better. It's going to be a LOT easier to explain to customers.

My 6930 just died and I need something to replace it, I have bad luck with GPUs so I also need a good warranty.

Guessing that if it's really on par or with the 780/Titan or better it'll use a ton of power and have a lot of heat as a consequence based off Nvidia's current design winning most of those arguments. Also the lack of 20nm availability may make the situation worse. Who knows? Perhaps AMD has a really killer design that is just as or more powerful than anything Nvidia has out and is even more power efficient on a 28nm process.

We're all just speculating until (hopefully) the end of this month. I want this competition more than anything (coming from an Nvidiot's POV). I'm sick of the high prices and how the game is currently being played.

If the new core is based upon the same core revision as Bonaire (7790), the performance/watt should be much higher than the original GCN revision.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/27.html

The 7790 can keep up with the best Nvidia has to offer. It will be a job scaling performance while not hurting performance/watt, but the potential is definitely there. The good news is that they managed to increase performance 70% while EXCEEDING the performance/watt of the old 7750, which used to be their standout.

Very curious... I hope that the AMD 98xx high end card (ie 7970 equal) will launch with 4gb of RAM and that the "high end version" will come out early (ie ghz edition). I don't really want to consider buying the luxury gaming card and then a few months later they come out with a version that has more RAM or other components. I'm eager to see another solid, powerful, affordable offering from AMD - so long as they keep improving their Linux driver experience (binary and otherwise).

Some vendor is always going to slap more ram onto a card to squeeze out extra $$$. Otherwise, what was wrong with the Ghz edition? Most stock 7970's could easily meet or surpass those clocks. That release was just AMD realizing they went too conservative with their new architecture.

Not to brag, but my local AMD rep confirmed the naming change. He also said AMD is seriously considering the idea of releasing a Titan-killer. His exact words were 'something above R9'

Good times.

So if an R9-285 isn't a Titan-killer, then what is it exactly? Something on par with the 780?

I guess I wouldn't mind as long as it has something to offer over the 780 for arriving a bit late, like better price/overclockability/thermals, etc.

So if an R9-285 isn't a Titan-killer, then what is it exactly? Something on par with the 780?

I guess I wouldn't mind as long as it has something to offer over the 780 for arriving a bit late, like better price/overclockability/thermals, etc.

In between them as that fits the die and 28nm limits.
Unless they go for a bigger die that is....
How good it OC is the question.

Very curious... I hope that the AMD 98xx high end card (ie 7970 equal) will launch with 4gb of RAM and that the "high end version" will come out early (ie ghz edition). I don't really want to consider buying the luxury gaming card and then a few months later they come out with a version that has more RAM or other components. I'm eager to see another solid, powerful, affordable offering from AMD - so long as they keep improving their Linux driver experience (binary and otherwise).

There's no need for 4GB versions. 3GB is plenty for 1440p and will be for some time to come.

Not to brag, but my local AMD rep confirmed the naming change. He also said AMD is seriously considering the idea of releasing a Titan-killer. His exact words were 'something above R9'

Good times.

There seems to be a few rumours to this effect. At the very least AMD has a good performance target should they elect to aim for it, or "above" it :D

Possible their yields might be better than expected also...?

There's no need for 4GB versions. 3GB is plenty for 1440p and will be for some time to come.

3GB might be plenty for 1440 but there is a need for more. You are neglecting the multimonitor crowd that enthusiast graphics cards ought to cater to. I'd love to see a 4 or more GB version.

3GB might be plenty for 1440 but there is a need for more. You are neglecting the multimonitor crowd that enthusiast graphics cards ought to cater to. I'd love to see a 4 or more GB version.

Depends on the game too. I noticed that at 1080p, Bioshock 3 used 1.85GB when maxed, and up to 2.25GB in 3D Mode, odd huh?

Hopefully this card rocks and forces price drops on the nvidia side of things as well.

Hopefully this card rocks and forces price drops on the nvidia side of things as well.

I think NVIDIA fans are too loyal to NVIDIA cards. NVIDIA hasn't dropped prices very much on their 600 or 700 series even though AMD HD79XX cards can be had for way less money and with free games and perform comparably and better with some games. AMD HD79XX cards have more memory and larger memory interface and NVIDIA fans still choose to pay more money.

I just hope AMD prices are fair so that I can afford to buy one. :)

The only reason that NVIDIA will drop prices is if their loyal market stops buying.

NVIDIA pricing is weird.
680s cost as much (sometimes more) than 770s.

Having that said, I still hope (probably in vain) that prices drop on 700s in reaction to Hawaii.

If AMD has a "titan-killer" that would be awesome! Then maybe Nvidia would think about a price cut.....but probably not. They seem to stick to their guns on high priced cards. AMD has always been the king of price for performance ratio's, and I think that will continue on.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the new R9-xxx has to offer.

If AMD has a "titan-killer" that would be awesome! Then maybe Nvidia would think about a price cut.....but probably not. They seem to stick to their guns on high priced cards. AMD has always been the king of price for performance ratio's, and I think that will continue on.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the new R9-xxx has to offer.

If they do I will probably be picking up two or three of them.

I think NVIDIA fans are too loyal to NVIDIA cards. NVIDIA hasn't dropped prices very much on their 600 or 700 series even though AMD HD79XX cards can be had for way less money and with free games and perform comparably and better with some games. AMD HD79XX cards have more memory and larger memory interface and NVIDIA fans still choose to pay more money.

I just hope AMD prices are fair so that I can afford to buy one. :)

The only reason that NVIDIA will drop prices is if their loyal market stops buying.

There's a reason why Nvidia fans are loyal to their products. AMD appears to be working hard though to make up the deficit. There's more to buying a video card than just benching. Those people that actually play games understand the value of Nvidia cards. This coming from a huge AMD/ATI fan.

There's a reason why Nvidia fans are loyal to their products. AMD appears to be working hard though to make up the deficit. There's more to buying a video card than just benching. Those people that actually play games understand the value of Nvidia cards. This coming from a huge AMD/ATI fan.

Seems like pro benchers go with the hardware that performs the best. Goes back and forth between Nvidia and amd.

Benching aside I have owned both and when I buy a video card I go with the best performance I can afford. AMD has kept my interest since HD79xx series came out and the main thing I do with my video card is game.

AMD has a very good chance to take over the market from Nvidia- and that's not because the consoles are shipping with AMD APUs. From the looks of it, we're going to need a whole lot more VRAM than most cards are shipping with today to really be able to crank the settings on games being released in the near future, and AMD is usually far more amenable to putting more VRAM on their cards. If they can get the Crossfire stuff figured out and their coolers sorted, I'm all in.

I doubt that, mostly because all it takes to remedy that particular problem is to put out cards with more vram (not a technological breakthrough).

Cards like 760 or 770 already has 4gb versions (albeit at 10~15% higher cost to 2gb versions). And, even if that's not enough... AMD and Nvidia usually comes out with new cards (or rebranded versions) often enough. The next release of new Nvidia cards will surely include more VRAM by default, should that be the trend.

If anything, I thinkt that OpenCL will be the weakpoint for Nvidia cards in the near future, since Nvidia (by design) lack the computational power that AMD cards have in that particular area. And I can picture more games using that for physics in the future as it's an open source.

I doubt that, mostly because all it takes to remedy that particular problem is to put out cards with more vram (not a technological breakthrough).

Cards like 760 or 770 already has 4gb versions (albeit at 10~15% higher cost to 2gb versions). And, even if that's not enough... AMD and Nvidia usually comes out with new cards (or rebranded versions) often enough. The next release of new Nvidia cards will surely include more VRAM by default, should that be the trend.

To effectively improve overall memory bandwidth it takes more than just adding more memory. AMD also has larger memory interface than Nvidia. AMD card is more future proof.

Not doubting Nvidia can't do it, I'm just citing the recent trends. Part of that does have to do with differences in memory controller setups, of course, but it's been very real for the last two generations- for example, HD6950 2GB vs. GTX570 1.25GB, and HD7950 3GB vs. GTX670 2GB. Latest generation does obfuscate that a little, but I want at least 6GB on my next GPUs- who's more likely to get that out the door at a reasonable price, say ~$300?

I don't expect it to be Nvidia, but hey, competition doesn't hurt :).

Back