AMD, Intel and Conroe, a look back and a glimpse forward. What to expect and why the

Bao01

Limp Gawd
I had intended to do this last week. I don’t think it’s too late to write now even though the outlook of things change from day to day.

Check this piece out. Intel Panics and Announces Merom by Charlie Demerjian published by TheInquirer.net 05/06/2005.

I clearly remember reading this article last year. Last week, I accidentally stumbled on it again after doing a search with keywords “Merom $” to check up on Merom pricing information.

Nearly a year ago, Charlie laid out a fairly accurate schedule and set of expectations for Merom. In hindsight, this article seems prophetic. Is that so? Can Charlie really predict the future?

One thing that really struck me most was this line in Charlie’s article.

The 65 nanometre process, it appears, is well beyond healthy, and has some surprises lurking.

To me, one of these surprises seems to be the progression from B1 to C1 Presler stepping. Apparently, the power reduction from B1 to C1 was made possible by a reduction in leakage as leakage is what really affects maximum power consumption. So, it would seem Charlie (1) can see the future, (2) has some great sources, (3) moonlights as a horoscope writer, as this type says all sorts of things that can mean just about anything. I’m leaning on (2) and (3). More importantly, Charlie makes his claims based off Intel’s claims.

So, taking the article in its entirety, one sees Intel has not only met its goals, but also exceeded its expectations regarding (A) schedule and (B) performance. See below:

(A)
The chips will be "out" starting in late 2006 with Merom, followed by Conroe, then Woodcrest. We expect them to be publicly shown at the next Spring IDF, and perhaps Chipzilla will lift the veil and show off a couple of early early samples at Fall IDF, if there is one. Nut Intel may not have functional silicon by then

(B)
The chips themselves throw out the failed P4 "Netbust" architecture and are based on the Pentium M philosophy of shorter and more efficient pipelines. I have heard 12 or 13 stages from several people. Don't look for clock speeds anywhere near that of Netburst products, more in the 2.5GHz range for the desktop parts. That is not to say that they won't be fast, as Intel so thoughtfully said two American IDFs (Intel Developer Forums) ago, they will be four "issue" wide, and undoubtedly have a better "front end" and cache setup than any of the current chips. Look for a large IPC (instructions per cycle) advantage over the current PM cores, and a truly huge one over P4.

Indeed, Intel’s has executed the Core Microarchitecture brilliantly. One can say almost flawlessly. Is this really a surprise?

It is true that Intel needs to be held to higher accountability than most other semiconductor firms and the same goes with AMD. Intel is the largest semiconductor firm in the known universe. AMD competes directly with its processor division and has been kicking it around like a hardened piece of…turd. Ok, maybe a ball makes more sense.

Anyway, the way we hold both companies accountable is we don’t make excuses when they fail to perform. We reserve judgement for when deadlines come and go, products perform or underperform, or prices and availability meet or fail to meet demand. For all intents, it’s fairly idiotic to claim that Conroe is vaporware. Vaporware in software terms is stuff that’s supposed to be ready, sold, and yet, nowhere to be found. Same thing with hardware. One understands when this term is applied to certain ATI products in the recent past. So, a fitting situation would be sometime in August or September(actually October because that would be Q4), in the unlikely event Intel doesn’t move Conroe’s release date forward, that the processor is supposed to be available, yet nowhere to be found, not even in Dell systems. Or. Same case with AMD and AM2 processors in July or August, except with non-Dell oems. Then, we would be calling Conroe or AM2 vaporware. But, then AM2 is supposed to be released late Q2 or H1 isn’t it? Not Q3 or H2.

So, it should be no surprise that Intel has come through with Conroe and should be no surprise if Conroe starts shipping some time in July, August, or September. Based on the recent announcement at XS, I don’t think we’re going to be disappointed.

It’s great that Intel has come through with the Core Microarchitecture. If it was just performance, I don’t think it would be a bigger deal than X2 vs PD. But, one thing missed by Charlie’s article is the value factor. Conroe pricing is a pleasant surprise. It’s easy to rationalize. Conroe is a single die, smaller than Presler which is MCM. Cheaper to make, with less steps from printing to packaging. No wonder!

Regardless or who holds the current performance leader, neither has much lead in value, excepting maybe the PD805. Still, it doesn’t matter who is in the lead. If Intel were three steps ahead of AMD in performance and value and they were to present info on something with yet better performance and value, why would we not care to discuss it?

The two paths some arguments I have seen taking, “I don’t care about Conroe because AMD is the best”…and “I don’t believe Intel because I don’t believe Intel” is bunk. Why should Intel be held to some anti-Intel fanb0i standard. Is that their target market? Some people don’t seem to understand this.

One of the more mentally-challenged responses is "why is Intel doing this...showing off and all" duh! Remember Charlie's article:

We expect them to be publicly shown at the next Spring IDF, and perhaps Chipzilla will lift the veil and show off a couple of early early samples at Fall IDF, if there is one

Plan A works! Plan B is when Intel has no working silicon and talks its head off about it's great microarchitecture or worse yet, keep it all secret and keep us in the dark as to how good it is and how much it will cost!

Ok, so we look at how there are great developments on the Intel front. How about AMD?

Let’s look at that Charlie article again. AMD knew as well if not better than Charlie Demerjian what Intel was going to do. 12 months of advance notice and this is what they come up with: K8L sometime next year. One can see why this is a flawed strategy. First, K8L is quad core which makes it a non-mainstream product. Unless, AMD can somehow magically reduce their production costs these chips are not going to be for the average guy like me…and probably you, for quite some time, unless you are into ExtremE or Flipping Xtreme pricing. I can see why AMD went with this plan in the first place. From the projections for 65nm this time last year, we would have expected 65nm AM2 by now. If they had executed that plan well, AMD would be ahead of Conroe, throwing down the quad-core card before Intel even gets a chance to gain back market share, and recouping shares back when their(AMD) 65nm process matures. Better performing, justifiably more expensive(sarcasm) because it would be more expensive to make. As a result, AMD moves the price curve for the market upwards, a true market-mover and pretty much what they’ve been doing lately.

As it turns out, AMD got greedy and seems to have been spitting in the wind.

In Digitimes recent first interview with Henri Richards, he says that AMD is following an evolutionary and not revolutionary approach in 2007. Too, bad this just means K8L is alive and K10 is dead. When you play the multicore escalation game, how do you find time and resources to develop a new “core” to base your later multicores on?

Oh well! AMD is playing with the big boys now. Let it be held accountable in the big boys’ game. This is not the little ATI/Nvidia boys game. In that game, they're just learning to play like the big boys. Admittedly, the little boys seem to be growing up, too.

As exciting as Conroe news is, there’s no need to warrant that this will benefit the consumer because it will spur AMD to compete. That’s patented nonsense. It benefits the consumer because it’s a great leap ahead in performance and pricing and that’s all there is to it.

So, there you have it. Just trying to bring a perspective on this issue. Thoughts?

Demerjian has a long history of being extremely accurate in his articles. He tends to do quite a bit of research and verifies his stuff before posting it. If he's not sure, he won't throw it out on the Inq. He's up there with Mike Magee. Follow some of his postings on Ace's and you can see what he's like.

Anyway, I think Intel certainly has a cost advantage at quad-core. The MCM, although not 'elegant,' allows them to mix and match parts with different TDPs (high TDP and low TDP to get an average of 95W for example). It'll be easier to find parts with similar speeds. The MCM approach also means Intel can match two fast cores with two slow cores. That way, the user can choose between running 2x3.0 GHz or 4x2.6 GHz, for example.

AMD's monolithic approach means trying to find four adjacent cores with similar characteristics.

I think it's far too soon to speculate on K8L. Based on when the team was formed, it could be a response to the thought-to-be coming Tejas which would mean AMD is not targeting the things that Conroe is weak at.

some of the sources might have also been paid or leaked out intentionally to create hype.

There was an item there in Feb-04 about Conroe that said almost the same thing. Anyway, the Green Goons will be here to soil and spoil the thread.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30662

AMD is still very much in the game but can it compare to conroe ? NO!

Is it going to be on SOI ? If so more trade secrets being given away.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30652

I want to see good competition between the 2 companies but I think this is a hurry up mistake by AMD. Most of us know that IBM is having problems with SOI transition to 65nm. Maybe Charter has this solved . I don't believe that but who knows ? GM is going broke and now American companies are selling us out to China on the processor front.
When will it end? When all american's have nothing to produce other than entertainment and Food .

Who is really running this government . The way it looks to me the world leaders are nothing more than puppets on a string . My question is who is the puppet master????

He gets out his 50mm snipers rifle as thinks time for war against 1 world government.

$BangforThe$ said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30662

AMD is still very much in the game but can it compare to conroe ? NO!

Is it going to be on SOI ? If so more trade secrets being given away.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30652

I want to see good competition between the 2 companies but I think this is a hurry up mistake by AMD. Most of us know that IBM is having problems with SOI transition to 65nm. Maybe Charter has this solved . I don't believe that but who knows ? GM is going broke and now American companies are selling us out to China on the processor front.
When will it end? When all american's have nothing to produce other than entertainment and Food .

Who is really running this government . The way it looks to me the world leaders are nothing more than puppets on a string . My question is who is the puppet master????

He gets out his 50mm snipers rifle as thinks time for war against 1 world government.

I'll have to defend AMD and Intel on China and many other places. They are too large to not try to use the whole world as a storefront. I honestly wouldn't piss on either company to put them out if they were on fire. But I must say I don't blame them this time. China and India have more people than the rest of the world LOL! That's a lot of Customers.

Donnie27 said:
There was an item there in Feb-04 about Conroe that said almost the same thing. Anyway, the Green Goons will be here to soil and spoil the thread.

I found that article: Intel prepares to can Pentium 4

By the same author also. Funny, I don't remember it.

empoy said:
some of the sources might have also been paid or leaked out intentionally to create hype.

Intentionally? Yes. To create hype? Absolutely. How about a scenario where Charlie is scribbling down notes from a source that gave him the "whole scoop", the first time, during/after Spring IDF. The second time would be during/after Ortellini's press briefing letting the word out on Merom. Charlie takes his outline, freshens it up with colorful humor and prints. But, the structure is exactly as it looks in his outline. Sound right?

JackPack said:
The MCM, although not 'elegant,' allows them to mix and match parts with different TDPs (high TDP and low TDP to get an average of 95W for example

It's not inelegant if it gets the job done. Latency is np with Netburst. As long as there is enough bandwidth between the two cores, the solution is sufficient. Pentium D's performance should be gauged against P4 non-hyperthreaded. When you look at it that way, it's a perfectly good solution. So, what you've heard as far as "elegance" is either geeky ego-stroking or just blantant rhetoric meant to misinform.

And... it's not so much that they can max and match parts. The failure rate from a larger die size minimized. R&D is minimized, also. I don't know how AMD goes about recovering an X2 that has one failed core. The problem doesn't seem to exist with the Pentium D. In the case of Conroe, the dies size is not much larger than a single core A64 and the power consumption is low so they can just disable one core and sell it as a single core.

I'm just thinking how odd it is that Anand was hoping to receive a Conroe sample when he got the Presler 965XE instead. AMD sent out AM2 to THG and Anand when it wasn't even ready. So, the question is really why Intel, not AMD holding back. Here it is, tens of thousands of people working hard in every department and as much to keep their job as something out of pride because of the Prescott ordeal. So, why hold back this far this late in the game?

Then we have the FCG/FUGGER Conroe situation. Someone doesn't just send out a Conroe ES when they're still under NDA. So, whoever FCG is getting these two sample chips from is in on the deal.

Seems like war to me. Intel vs Dishonest reviewers. Intel will probably get an earful from the various communities, something like the evil empire theme. But, as long as Conroe lives up to expectations, people will buy.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll start to see if that's true by tomorrow.

Bao01 said:
Then we have the FCG/FUGGER Conroe situation. Someone doesn't just send out a Conroe ES when they're still under NDA. So, whoever FCG is getting these two sample chips from is in on the deal.

Seems like war to me. Intel vs Dishonest reviewers. Intel will probably get an earful from the various communities, something like the evil empire theme. But, as long as Conroe lives up to expectations, people will buy.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll start to see if that's true by tomorrow.

QFT!

JetUsafMech said:
I can only imagine how certain websites will attempt to discredit the results.

Yeah, I can't wait to see that hehehe!

Well, I am sure there will be forum posters who will say all sorts of things but I don't think review sites will try to discredit the results, except for maybe AMDZONE and other sites like it.

I want to clarify, too, that I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, not even Lal Shimpi. Consider the Yonah review where people were saying that the memory used in the Yonah system was inferior and the timings were bad and therefore, Lal Shimpi was being biased. Hey, he was trying to show a picture of how a Yonah chip on a mobile platform would compare to an X2 desktop system. Cut the guy some slack. Just remember the purpose of that comparo. Sure, one gets the sense after reading Anandtech's reviews that they making microarchitecture judgement calls as if they were MA aficionados when hindsight disproves some of the equine fecal matter. Still...

Also, Donnie, you posted a response to an unnamed fanb0i on XS with a link to Anand's blog regarding AM2. Anand's got some good reasoning there. Read the whole section that contains this:

If the move to DDR2-800 was going to result in some sort of a performance gain I'd expect the 5000+ to be a 2.4GHz/1MB chip just like the current 4800+, or for a 2.6GHz/512KB part to be a higher rated part

He's been saying that AM2 processors won't have better per clock performance than the s939 ones because of the way the models' rating numbers, speed, and cache(of the 5000+ only) compare to current ones based off an official roadmap. I think he was right and AMD was paying attention because recently, they tried to introduce uncertainty to these claims by denying the 5000+ listing

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Listing – “Mistake”, Says AMD

OK AMD! There might not be a 5000+ model, but what are the chances of that? And we can draw the same conclusion whether there is one or not because your AM2 X2 4800+ chip is going to be the same 2.4/1mb cache chip as your s939 one. When was the last time you didn't change rating numbers when you claimed there was a performance gain?

Anyway, in this case, credit goes to Anand.

I think reviews who see of themselves on top of the chain and accordingly expect to sample Conroe before everyone else like they did with Presler, Yonah, Smithfield, Prescott, etc may be bitter if they don't get the jump on Conroe. Would be a normal reaction to me. That's all.

Bao01 said:
Well, I am sure there will be forum posters who will say all sorts of things but I don't think review sites will try to discredit the results, except for maybe AMDZONE and other sites like it.

I want to clarify, too, that I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, not even Lal Shimpi. Consider the Yonah review where people were saying that the memory used in the Yonah system was inferior and the timings were bad and therefore, Lal Shimpi was being biased. Hey, he was trying to show a picture of how a Yonah chip on a mobile platform would compare to an X2 desktop system. Cut the guy some slack. Just remember the purpose of that comparo. Sure, one gets the sense after reading Anandtech's reviews that they making microarchitecture judgement calls as if they were MA aficionados when hindsight disproves some of the equine fecal matter. Still...

Also, Donnie, you posted a response to an unnamed fanb0i on XS with a link to Anand's blog regarding AM2. Anand's got some good reasoning there. Read the whole section that contains this:

He's been saying that AM2 processors won't have better per clock performance than the s939 ones because of the way the models' rating numbers, speed, and cache(of the 5000+ only) compare to current ones based off an official roadmap. I think he was right and AMD was paying attention because recently, they tried to introduce uncertainty to these claims by denying the 5000+ listing

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Listing – “Mistake”, Says AMD

OK AMD! There might not be a 5000+ model, but what are the chances of that? And we can draw the same conclusion whether there is one or not because your AM2 X2 4800+ chip is going to be the same 2.4/1mb cache chip as your s939 one. When was the last time you didn't change rating numbers when you claimed there was a performance gain?

Anyway, in this case, credit goes to Anand.

I think reviews who see of themselves on top of the chain and accordingly expect to sample Conroe before everyone else like they did with Presler, Yonah, Smithfield, Prescott, etc may be bitter if they don't get the jump on Conroe. Would be a normal reaction to me. That's all.

The guy was trying to say Anand Cheated or was fooled by Intel LOL! Anand wasn't the only one there. IMHO, Intel wouldn't dare try to cheat and these sites come back to bite them.

He first also flamed a guy for his comments about FOP codes on the first P4's that caused a 17% hit making Willy look like more of a dog than it was. He also made that same whacky comment, I don't see Intel catching up to AMD without moving to an Integrated controller. That's the kind of Crap that creates many of the misinformed folks here now. I know Anand is a very smart person and just wonder if it is ad dollars or does he mean stuff like that when he says it.

I'll cut Anand some slack, he's clearly not as bad as Joel at Sudhian, Van Smith, Bert at Tom's and MANY others. Wes Fink is much more of a AMDroid than Anand at that site. His 2.4GHz P4 vs. an overclocked to 2.4GHz A64 is a Classic.

With that said, my reason for posting the link was simply this. During that IDF when Anand was having a Geek orgasmic trill, hardly anyone said or acted like many of the poster here with comments like;
It's not here yet.
Let's wait and see.
I can't buy it right now.
Anand rigged the test.
Anand was taken/Fooled by AMD
It's paper launch of a Vapor product LOL!

I know folks who waited 17 months after than first teaser to buy A64 on buggy boards. But like some here, act as if the Conroe launch date is July 07 instead of July 06. Anand's first Opteron review was done without a working AGP slot and they stuck a PCI card in the Intel Rig that might have been better off if it were NOT tested at all. I couldn't help but reading Anand's Conroe comments as subdued compared to what he wrote about "The most exciteing thing at IDF" that wasn't really even benched marked. Dewd, I linked to that news Item to show the different tone of what he wrote, you mean you didn't knowtice the difference?

I linked to him saying AM2 wouldn't change the results because many AMD followers know he'd be jumpping for Joy if it did kick ass, as he'd done before. The guys at the Inq said 3 to 5% and I linked to that as well. I didn't link to it because I disagree, I linked to it for proof. At least two far east sites have said the same thing.

Last but not least, so far AMD folks have to tear Conroe down because AM2 will not catch it. I for one will be glad to see AMD cut prices. I'm for me and my wallet, not AMD's Bank account.

I hear you, Donnie. In general, I agree with you. No person is going to be completely without biases, though. We often generalize to compartmentalize learning and we often retain the trains of thought that turn into biases. Still, you are right to point these things out. And yet, I don't want to go into reviewer-bashing. Another thing, Anand is not responsible for AMD making deadlines and meeting schedules. But, AMD is responsible for meeting expectations.

Ok, nvm I went on that track.

That Charlie dude is back at it again. This is what happens when Charlie tries to reason instead of regurgitating spoonfed info.

I don't think he's trying to stir up controversy. Moreover, he sounds like he's trying to be serious and rather than funny.

Bao01 said:
I hear you, Donnie. In general, I agree with you. No person is going to be completely without biases, though. We often generalize to compartmentalize learning and we often retain the trains of thought that turn into biases. Still, you are right to point these things out. And yet, I don't want to go into reviewer-bashing. Another thing, Anand is not responsible for AMD making deadlines and meeting schedules. But, AMD is responsible for meeting expectations.

That Charlie dude is back at it again. This is what happens when Charlie tries to reason instead of regurgitating spoonfed info.

I don't think he's trying to stir up controversy. Moreover, he sounds like he's trying to be serious and rather than funny.

I read that and was amazed. I wanted to post a thread asking for people's thoughts, but didn't want to risk looking like a troll. What amazes me even more is this:

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30757

Where the author says "The problem is that AMD still has not shown working 65nm parts. No, wait, they have not shown 65nm non-working parts. This looks very bad, Intel showed 45nm wafers a long time ago. When AMD puts out fluffy information-free calls without parts, you have to ask yourself how badly things are off in their processes and fabs."

So on one hand they would have the masses think that Intel can't manage itself, and THEY have the answers to run the company. On the other hand, they slam AMD for a "boring" conference call, and wonder "how bad things are" over @ AMD land. What the hell.

Bao01 said:

It just seems that Charlie, and this is one of my Terms, was just "Hit Phishing". I saw it too and didn't think it was worth replying to. Van Smith was the master of this.

I don't mean to bash Anand, but he does plays to his Polls and Forums. Like here, those are dominated by AMD Fans. As I once told Nasgul, I know Tons of mainly Intel users who'll not post on forums. Many got ran off by AMD Follwerfan Bullies. Now I'd easily bash Wesley Fink from his sight. Just as Bert and Frank are way more BIAS than Dr. Tom ever was or even thought he was. These guys, just like Wes said the Northwood C just wasn't stable when overclocked :confused: They were almost laughed off the Web. Then in Tom's fashion, they over did it to try and make up for the gaff!

JetUsafMech said:
I read that and was amazed. I wanted to post a thread asking for people's thoughts, but didn't want to risk looking like a troll. What amazes me even more is this:

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30757

Where the author says "The problem is that AMD still has not shown working 65nm parts. No, wait, they have not shown 65nm non-working parts. This looks very bad, Intel showed 45nm wafers a long time ago. When AMD puts out fluffy information-free calls without parts, you have to ask yourself how badly things are off in their processes and fabs."

So on one hand they would have the masses think that Intel can't manage itself, and THEY have the answers to run the company. On the other hand, they slam AMD for a "boring" conference call, and wonder "how bad things are" over @ AMD land. What the hell.

Hit Phishing

Donnie27 said:
Hit Phishing

Oh, I understand completely what you're saying, and it's a very good point. The tatics involved is what sickens me. Anand is a master of it (not a good thing, depending on your POV).

JetUsafMech said:
Oh, I understand completely what you're saying, and it's a very good point. The tatics involved is what sickens me. Anand is a master of it (not a good thing, depending on your POV).

I agree!

Back