AMD M2

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Does anyone know anything about the new SOCKET M2 processors that will probably be coming out early 2006. Is this a whole new socket that will replace 939, meaning those with a socket 939 mobo wont be able to upgrade to this type of processor, or is it just a new processor that will support DDR2 and all you have to do is upgrade your processor and memory?

thanks

new socket, should have 940 pins

this means any s939 won't fit (go figure ;) this also applies to s754, as it's replacing both)
it should also move over to dual channel ddr2-667

...940? i thought it's 1207 pins with same shape as 940 socket. correct me if i am wrong, and i would like to find the fact bout this pls so i can believe ya. :)

BigDaddy85 said:
...940? i thought it's 1207 pins with same shape as 940 socket. correct me if i am wrong, and i would like to find the fact bout this pls so i can believe ya. :)

Nah you're wrong, M2 is 940, going to be limited Opteron support and then hosting every other processor from semps to FX and inbetween. 1207 is Socket F also scheduled for release around the same time but its going to be Opteron only, so its strictly a server socket.

who knows.. haha, i doubt we'll move from x16 for quite a while

though, i wouldn't be surprised if we see HyperTransport 2.0

(cf)Eclipse said:
who knows.. haha, i doubt we'll move from x16 for quite a while

though, i wouldn't be surprised if we see HyperTransport 2.0
I would like to see more PCIe Lanes. Like 48 for the entire board.

I would like to see Hypertransport 2.0

I would like to see Dual Channel DDR2-800, and the ability to populate all 4 dimms, double sided, full speed at 1T

I would also like to see the introductory of a better SIMD FPU on the Athlon

I agree with USMC2Hard4U, but most of all, I'd really like to see FB-DIMM support! Even if just the Opteron's get it at first. :)

USMC2Hard4U said:
I would like to see more PCIe Lanes. Like 48 for the entire board.
that's a spec of the chipset, not socket :D

i agree with the rest though. i myself have kinda been pushing for ddr2-800 off the bat, but it seems that 667 is what it'll be :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
new socket, should have 940 pins

this means any s939 won't fit (go figure ;) this also applies to s754, as it's replacing both)
it should also move over to dual channel ddr2-667
although they dont work when turned on lol.

They'll likely shift the pins, again, so it wont fit.

Sli boards should have a minimum of 36 lanes, IMO.

ive heard that M2 will also be single channel, from a very reputable person. they are doing a whole redo of the pin layout, or what they do atleast. the M2 needs 240 pins for the 240 pins that DDR2 has so it will never work with 939 or now 940 boards. Socket F is dual channel, add 240 pins for the second channel of ram, and 27 for voltage control and whatnot and you have 1207 pins. I think people are gonna be bummed on M2 if its single channel, they will need to oc like crazy to match up with Bandwidth of todays DDR2.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
ive heard that M2 will also be single channel, from a very reputable person. they are doing a whole redo of the pin layout, or what they do atleast. the M2 needs 240 pins for the 240 pins that DDR2 has so it will never work with 939 or now 940 boards. Socket F is dual channel, add 240 pins for the second channel of ram, and 27 for voltage control and whatnot and you have 1207 pins. I think people are gonna be bummed on M2 if its single channel, they will need to oc like crazy to match up with Bandwidth of todays DDR2.
i just did the math on the current 939 - 184 pins (current DDR) = 755 - 1 (extra ground pin) = 754. im not switchin to single channel memory

if m2 is single channel, then you will have all sorts of love you M2 clubs when M2 gets its replaced by its dual channel counterpart, which i speculate to be named M3.

Yonahs gonna be something fun to play with. i still am not sure what socket its gonna be on? is intel returning to 478 or using 775 or using 479 again?

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
Yonahs gonna be something fun to play with. i still am not sure what socket its gonna be on? is intel returning to 478 or using 775 or using 479 again?
It will be 478 and 479

However Their will be a desktop version (dunno the codename of it) in 2006 but for some reason I am thinking it is going to be somethihng other than 775... but still will be LGA

agreed, if they use an on die mem controller, then they will be even better off. Yonah will be really important for Intels surviving because high GHz and long pipelines cant hold its own these days. atleast they know they made a mistake and are fixing it.

slamgoku said:
im not switchin to single channel memory
why not, it only really gives around 5-10% performance with ddr

with ddr2, the bandwidth will be much higher per channel, overall latency will be lower, and if it's single channel, board complexity is reduced greatly, allowing cheaper mobo's, and a memory controller actually made for single channel, not the dual purpose one that i believe is in there now.

as for yonah.. it will indeed be interesting. i think an on-die memory controller may be pushing it, but intel isn't really my area, so yeah :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
why not, it only really gives around 5-10% performance with ddr

with ddr2, the bandwidth will be much higher per channel, overall latency will be lower, and if it's single channel, board complexity is reduced greatly, allowing cheaper mobo's, and a memory controller actually made for single channel, not the dual purpose one that i believe is in there now.

as for yonah.. it will indeed be interesting. i think an on-die memory controller may be pushing it, but intel isn't really my area, so yeah :p
well then again i have DDR so why would i care what they do with DDR2. I dunno i just like the idea of having dual channel.

slamgoku said:
well then again i have DDR so why would i care what they do with DDR2. I dunno i just like the idea of having dual channel.
Me too. The more performancce the better. Even if it is 5%

USMC2Hard4U said:
It will be 478 and 479

However Their will be a desktop version (dunno the codename of it) in 2006 but for some reason I am thinking it is going to be somethihng other than 775... but still will be LGA

I'm almost certain Yonah is 771.

slamgoku said:

Single channel DDR2 will outdo dual channel DDR1.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
agreed, if they use an on die mem controller, then they will be even better off. Yonah will be really important for Intels surviving because high GHz and long pipelines cant hold its own these days. atleast they know they made a mistake and are fixing it.

That would be good if they are indeed doing a new socket (LGA771 or whatever) because then the new boards will have the correct traces from the start in order to allow CPU - DRAM communication. Right now I don't think intel can just add a memory controller because then we'd have to go to i965 and i975 and further screw people from upgrading.

robberbaron said:
That would be good if they are indeed doing a new socket (LGA771 or whatever) because then the new boards will have the correct traces from the start in order to allow CPU - DRAM communication. Right now I don't think intel can just add a memory controller because then we'd have to go to i965 and i975 and further screw people from upgrading.

Sounds like intel to me. They love to switch platforms and require you to buy THEIR chipset. Makes them even more money.

Dew said:
Sounds like intel to me. They love to switch platforms and require you to buy THEIR chipset. Makes them even more money.

Meh. I think it's just lack of foresight if anything. That and money, but mostly the former.

A little off topic, but, have you seen the thermal comparisons and power consumption comparisons between the Pentium D and X2? It's mind boggling how efficient the X2 is compared to the Pentium D in every way except price.

I looked into it recently and it certainly deserves its own discussion thread. But I'm not going to be the one to make it, hahaha.

slamgoku said:
exactly why i tell people to get cheap ram these days ;)

hahaha, did you even read the thread? your question has already been answered :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
that's a spec of the chipset, not socket :D

i agree with the rest though. i myself have kinda been pushing for ddr2-800 off the bat, but it seems that 667 is what it'll be :(
I'm not sure why you all want such high bandwidth RAM. The A64's (And all Athlons in general, really) don't seem to benefit much from higher speed RAM....
Anandtech's DDR500 article

Probably March. These things seem to come out at the end of quarters.

So do you think it's worth it to wait for M2 and DDR2?

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:

Is Yonah going to be 64-bit?

jebo_4jc said:
I'm not sure why you all want such high bandwidth RAM. The A64's (And all Athlons in general, really) don't seem to benefit much from higher speed RAM....
Anandtech's DDR500 article
did you look at my sig? i have been a proponent of what you are trying to tell me since... ohhhh, probably around november or december. people just never listen to me though, and only take the words of a major review site to heart :(

the real reason i want ddr2-800 off the bat is due to the memory controller... it'll force amd to provide higher quality memory controllers that will also be able to deal with full ram loading better ;)

jeebus said:
early 2006 can be jan, or march
not many people know.. i'd estimate more towards the end of 2H, but that's just a guess :p

That sucks for me, I'll be done upgrading to 939 this year in december then a couple months later it'll all get replaced with something else...geez don't fix what ain't broke i say.

(cf)Eclipse said:
did you look at my sig? i have been a proponent of what you are trying to tell me since... ohhhh, probably around november or december. people just never listen to me though, and only take the words of a major review site to heart :(
Heh sorry. I'm assuming your "A64+Memory-the truth" thread says something about this, but I never bothered to read it since my most modern CPU is a P4. But I'm sure I would have listened to you and believed what you were saying though if I did :) . And I cited the AT article simply because it was fresh on my memory (get it?).:cool:
(cf)Eclipse said:
the real reason i want ddr2-800 off the bat is due to the memory controller... it'll force amd to provide higher quality memory controllers that will also be able to deal with full ram loading better ;)
I hadn't thought through the fact that high speed DDR2 support would deal with full ram loading well. Perhaps DDR2 667 support means DDR2 533 would run loaded up @ 1T?

Back