AMD notebooks, Lack of!

temporalwar

Limp Gawd
AMD finally has some nice AMD64 notebooks, and the new XP-M lines out and Intel is crying like a baby over the OEMs urging them not to use AMD in notebooks.

I want a frickin amd notebook, but they are not @ a nice price point becuase of there lack of mass production

Thank you INTEL,

At times you wonder why AMD doesn't sue Intel for billions over antitrust laws. Intel has been known to pressure companies into not selling AMD products for the fear of "no heavily discounted Intel processors"....Dell....cough...cough.

I don't know if you gentlemen remember the situation when Athlon first came around...

There was the AMD 750 'irongate' chipset, which, in all honesty, was more of a blueprint for Via, SiS, ALi to make their own chipset... Anyways, rumor has it that Intel was pressuring all the Tier One manufacturers and the three major 3rd party chipset vendors to not make Athlon chipsets, and not make Athlon boards.

It was rotten! You could buy a CPU, but you couldn't find a board for it, and the 750 was nothing to write home about, which is what most of the few that were made carried.

Intel has somehow dodged every antitrust hearing they've ever been deserving, despite underhanded attempts to block the sale of competition.

Anyways, Via eventually said "#@$* Intel, we're making the bloody chipset." and then boards started coming out... Nothing good until the KX133A, though.

In the OEM world Intel undercuts AMD processors most of the time, which is one reason the OEM's really like them. People who think Intel's actually cost more than AMD's to produce providing justice for the higher pricetag are paying for nothing more than their name. Example, we bought a lot of Tualatin 1.3GHz processors at work from Intel, we paid $42 a peice for them, retail was like $160 at the time, we mentioned we were looking to dabble with AMD, and they slashed the wholesale prices in half since the Duron 1.3GHz were going for $43 a peice. I agree with you though, I'm in the market for a laptop but really doubt I'll find one I like with an AMD.

Originally posted by temporalwar
AMD finally has some nice AMD64 notebooks, and the new XP-M lines out and Intel is crying like a baby over the OEMs urging them not to use AMD in notebooks.

I want a frickin amd notebook, but they are not @ a nice price point becuase of there lack of mass production

Thank you INTEL,

I have to disagree there - acer has some a64 notebooks that are an INCREADIBLE value compared to equally outfitted intel systems. i have been buying a couple for our office and i have to say they are the best notebooks i've ever had when looking at the bang/buck ratio - ate least in europe.

for example you can have this notebook for 1300€, which i consider a really nice offer:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Prozessor 3000+, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, 15.0" SXGA+ TFT Display (1400x1050), 512MB (2*256) DDR, 60GB HDD, CDR/RW/DVD-Dual Burner, FDD, 64MB VRAM ATI Radeon 9600, 10/100/1000 LAN Adapter, 802.11g wireless, 3-in-1 Card Reader, 56Kbps Modem, Li-Ion Batterie

I would agree that there is a lack of selection of AMD64 laptops.

However, the few AMD64 laptops that i have seen are very featureful for the money.

Here is an example

Back