AMD Phenom(enal)! New CPUs! (Very important for all AMD users)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Falcon

[H]ard DCOTM December 2023
Recently MaximumPC has stated that AMD is going to ditch the Athlon 64 moniker for its next-gen top end CPUs. (All credit for what I type here goes to MaximumPC; also, I didn't see another thread about this, so if there is another I appologize in advance)

I am going to point out some of the highlights of these new processors, which may infact be the Intel-Killer we've all been waiting for!

Phenom FX
- Quad-core only, with the largest caches and highest clocks of the consumer CPUs.
- Socket 1207 and AM2 (possibly AM2+)

Phenom X2 and X4
- Available in quad-core and dual-core versions with lower clock speeds and less cache than the FX parts.
-Socket AM2 (possibly AM2+)

Athlon X2
-Take existing Athlon 64 parts, whack off the 64, and you get Athlon X2.
-Socket AM2

Major Highlights of Phenom:

Phenom is essentially an evolutin of the Athlon 64 core with a better DDR2 memory controller, enhanced virtual-machine performance, better power management, and SSE performance improvements. The company claims that floating-point performance, for example, should be quadrupled over the Athlon 64. There's also a new L3 cache that's shared by all four cores. That's possible because of Phenom's design, which AMD touts as being "true quad core." While Intel constructs its Core 2 Quad chips by joining two dual-core processors that communicate via the relatively slow front-side bus (*cough* Pentium D *cough*), AMD designed a single contigous die that lets all the cores communicate at much higher speeds than Intel's 1,333MHz FSB. The Phenom will be based on the same 65nm process as the Athlon 64.

Major Highlights of Sockets AM2+ and 1207+:

Phenom parts will be pin compatible with the majority of AM2 and Socket 1207 motherboards on the market, but there's talk of an improved verion of the sockets called 1207+ and AM2+, which will feature the ability to run the CPU and north bridge at separate speeds to save power and enhance performance.

I am rooting for AMD to make a comeback, so hopefully this goes well. I know I'll be buying more than one!

Please discuss!

It may be "older" news, but it is as recent as May. So I wouldn't consider it to be too old. ;)

...and certainly not as old as your mom! :D

But seriously, I do hope AMD pulls themselves out of the gutter on this one. I love AMD, but the AM2 processors were just a simple refresh of the 939 processors with only a newer memory controller (but I guess thats the same with the 754 to 939 :p).

I will also be interested to see how AMD is going to make the FSB faster. 1000MHz is good, but trying to fight 1,333 was going to be tough...until now! I'm hoping for 2000MHz, but that might be a bit of a stretch. 1500~1600MHz would be more realistic.

When (and if) the X4 comes out, that'll be my processor of choice! Too bad I don't have funds for a 1207(+) board, I want an FX (a GeForce FX, lol, those were the days).

It may be "older" news, but it is as recent as August. So I wouldn't consider it to be too old. ;)

...and certainly not as old as your mom! :D

But seriously, I do hope AMD pulls themselves out of the gutter on this one. I love AMD, but the AM2 processors were just a simple refresh of the 939 processors with only a newer memory controller (but I guess thats the same with the 754 to 939 :p).

I will also be interested to see how AMD is going to make the FSB faster. 1000MHz is good, but trying to fight 1,333 was going to be tough...until now! I'm hoping for 2000MHz, but that might be a bit of a stretch. 1500~1600MHz would be more realistic.

When (and if) the X4 comes out, that'll be my processor of choice! Too bad I don't have funds for a 1207(+) board, I want an FX (a GeForce FX, lol, those were the days).

My HT bus is 2000mhz... which is the closest to a FSB you will find on an A64. HT > FSB

I wonder how long before people start to kill ops hopes and dreams with the news of recent developments.

Well we will soon find out in august. Ill probally upgrade for this next year.

Jimmer411: The Athlon 64 FSB is 1000MHz or 2000MT/s, not 2000MHz as some websites misinterpret.

BTW, I was hiding in no-man's-land for too long. :p

*keeps fingers crossed and eats a cookie*

Unfortunatly.....

Tick, Tock

Tick, Tock

Tick, Tock.....

They did delay a number of times. This time they came out with a definite date. If I get into the stock before that, I know this time I'm not going to do the same screw up I did the last time. Every time they said there was a delay on the INQ, I would pull out and get back in. Lost a little due to commissions. Then again, I should get a cheaper discount broker.

They're expected to announce more losses though. So, I don't know if the stock will dip even more between now and September. The chip is expected to ship in August so system builders will have complete machines in September.

Hm...was going to do an Intel build in late August/early September with an E4300 or so and pop in a Penryn later, but if reviews for this will be out by then as well I guess I could wait to see how they'll duke it out. Good thing the only part I've actually bought so far is the RAM :rolleyes:

And here I thought this thread would reveal some favorable benchmarks... Yeah, that whole naming convention deal is definatly old news. And not very exciting news at that.

Uh don't hold your breath since I don't believe either penryn or phenom will be out till Q1 08. AMD's barcelona will come out in august but thats the server version and even then it only will clock to 2.0 ghz at first.

I'm just gonna C&P my post at tech-report.

Believe me or not, I am a good friend of the store manager of one the more popular computer stores in Vancouver, BC. I just chat it up with him yesterday over various of things but when we talked about Barcelona I told him it sucked about Phenom may be delayed till Q1. My friend said that he actually spoke to the AMD rep the day before and they are very sure that the Phenom will be launched exactly one month after Barcelona (Sept 10 for Barcelona). Now, that's what I heard, I don't know if the AMD rep was just trying to make things look good, but my friend knows the rep well enough. But who knows, I just thought I might throw this out there.

I'm just gonna C&P my post at tech-report.

Believe me or not, I am a good friend of the store manager of one the more popular computer stores in Vancouver, BC. I just chat it up with him yesterday over various of things but when we talked about Barcelona I told him it sucked about Phenom may be delayed till Q1. My friend said that he actually spoke to the AMD rep the day before and they are very sure that the Phenom will be launched exactly one month after Barcelona (Sept 10 for Barcelona). Now, that's what I heard, I don't know if the AMD rep was just trying to make things look good, but my friend knows the rep well enough. But who knows, I just thought I might throw this out there.

No offense to you, your friend, or the AMD rep. It just seems to be too many layers of hear-say. At this point I am settled on waiting it out. I would love for AMD to make a public statement giving exact dates... But they havent. It sucks, but what can you do?

I'm just gonna wait it out and see what happens.

The sad thing is, I don't think the OP even knows his news is old. This "news" is from May.

Also, semi-old news from like a month ago said that preliminary testing of the phenom showed awful results. I'm sure AMD will work this out by launch though, since they really need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back