AMD Posts 3Q Loss Despite Rising Sales

HardOCP News

[H] News
Despite rising sales, AMD has posted a third quarter losses of almost $400 million , far worse than what analyst had expected. On the bright side, AMD says improving cost controls and stronger processor sales are helping turn the company around.

The Sunnyvale-based company said Thursday its net losses were $396 million, or 71 cents per share, during the three months ending in September. That compares with a profit of $136 million, or 27 cents per share, in the year-ago period.

Both the CPU and video card industry really needs AMD and ATI to be on their feet right now. We don't want Intel and Nvidia to turn into little Microsofts.

How long can AMD go on when you add up all the profits and subtract the losses they have made since going public? They are always a net looser and the losses are always much greater than the few times they spring a profit. :rolleyes:

How long can AMD go on when you add up all the profits and subtract the losses they have made since going public? They are always a net looser and the losses are always much greater than the few times they spring a profit. :rolleyes:

zomg! liek amd is going to go bankrupt and disappear!? :p

Not really. They aren't going anywhere. You might want to look into their portfolio sometime. ;)

I remember quite clearly pre-Athlon Intel. It wasn't pretty. I did not like having to take vaseline to the comp store to purchase a mboard and CPU.

AMD - Product. Market. Now. thks.

I did my part, AMD. I bought over priced Opterons to reequip veteran s939 platforms in this quarter. I know you want me to buy your AM2 platform, but you introduced it too soon after s939 with crappy DDR2 RAM to boot and look what that got you.
I'm not going to go through the hassle of updating known-good platforms to take advantage of your crippled quad-core Phenoms which place a constant 2nd in the price/performance arena for the next 3-5 years against Intel's demonstrably superior chips.

If you didn't try to screw me and millions of my enthusiast pals over with AM2 I might look to your next offering, but I think Intel has earned my money for the next generation.

Tough break, come back fighting!

I did my part, AMD. I bought over priced Opterons to reequip veteran s939 platforms in this quarter. I know you want me to buy your AM2 platform, but you introduced it too soon after s939 with crappy DDR2 RAM to boot and look what that got you.
I'm not going to go through the hassle of updating known-good platforms to take advantage of your crippled quad-core Phenoms which place a constant 2nd in the price/performance arena for the next 3-5 years against Intel's demonstrably superior chips.

If you didn't try to screw me and millions of my enthusiast pals over with AM2 I might look to your next offering, but I think Intel has earned my money for the next generation.

Tough break, come back fighting!
sorry to be a little off topic, but I remember people complaining up and down asking "why hasnt amd adopted ddr2, its so much faster!", and when they do people just complain they didnt seem the huge performance they thought they would see.

As far as a $400 million loss, well thats the technology industry for you. Make one wrong move and you are going from making $100s of million to losing billions. Lets just hope they some how break even this quarter.

zomg! liek amd is going to go bankrupt and disappear!? :p

Not really. They aren't going anywhere. You might want to look into their portfolio sometime. ;)

Seems like many in our generation believe that money can constantly be created from thin air by continually issuing new debt. As it stands today, with the credit markets still in disarray, AMD may be stuck with having to pay much higher interest on any new bond issuances.. in the short run at a minimum in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I have used a lot of AMD chips over the years, but constantly loosing money makes me really wonder if they can survive the next few years unless they come up with another Intel Killer that the Athlon 939 chips were to the Pentium Ds..

If they continue down this track of losses, product delays, product scarcity, and disappointments they may have to start selling assets and / or spin off business units to survive, or just plain get sold off... maybe they should be fabless like NVDA or semi fabless...

Sorry fanboys, Past Performance is no guarantee of future results...

Sorry fanboys, Past Performance is no guarantee of future results...
That's great, nobody is being a fanboy here except you. Stop bringing it to the table.

Future performance is also no guarantee, but it is looking pretty good for AMD's roadmap. They are also about to release their Phenom quads which will impact the market quite well. Intel is a very strong competitor, but this is good for the market because it keeps prices low. Personally, I'm enjoying AMD's well performing sub $100 processors. Businesses are always losing and gaining profit. It is part of the industry when tables are turned against you. It works the same way for any other company including Intel.

"The company's $1.63 billion in sales reflected a 23 percent increase over last year"

But last year's Q3 sales total didn't include ATI. :-/

Its funny how people are dooming and gloming AMDs future,they are not going anywhere they have been here b4.Everyone wants AMD to come with a fast fanboy cpu to for bragging rights,folks bragging rights does not pay bills ,low to mid-range cpu pays bills along wit a sold m-board and cost effective gpu,which I believe they will have .This 3rd quarter is showing us that they are on there way out of trouble .4th Q will get AMD to even or just about

Anyone who uses a computer does NOT want to see AMD fail. Even the Nvidia crowd. Look at how much NVIDIA is already charging because they know they are on top. Just imagine it going even higher with no competition. Same would happen at Intel camp however Intel doesnt seem to be gouging as hard as Nvidia.

Back