AMD Radeon 6990 in the Wild

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Japanese site 4Gamer.net has posted more pictures of AMD's upcoming Radeon 6990 dual GPU video card that was spotted in the wild this weekend. The site is extremely slow right now so here's a few pics for those of you that can't reach the site.

Thanks to Ben T. for the heads up!

Last edited:
I am going to assume there is a DA to DVI port adapter included?

/waits for pricing

Not big enough. I want my next video card to be poking out the front of my case.

Beautiful. Nothing like new hardware to brighten my day. It'll be even better if this beast is under $500.

What's up with the naming of these things? The initiated would think that was marketed below the old Radeon 9600-9800.
Both nVidia and ATI are reusing numbers over again to confuse things even more. Even nVidia went back to the "GTS" moniker.

What's up with the naming of these things? The initiated would think that was marketed below the old Radeon 9600-9800.
Both nVidia and ATI are reusing numbers over again to confuse things even more. Even nVidia went back to the "GTS" moniker.
Because that was so long ago people won't remember.

9xxx was a long time ago in technology years. They went back down in their numbered naming scene and added HD in front of it as not to confuse everyone. Radeon 10,000, Radeon 11,000, and so on would be a little too extravagant I think.

9xxx was a long time ago in technology years. They went back down in their numbered naming scene and added HD in front of it as not to confuse everyone. Radeon 10,000, Radeon 11,000, and so on would be a little too extravagant I think.

Radeon 10,500 and Geforce 68,200 sounds good to me. Just keep adding on the digits. :D

I think under the old "X equals 10" naming scheme, we would have: Radeon 15750, 15770, 15830, 15850, 15870, 15970, 16650, 16750, 16770, 16850, 16870, 16950, 16970 and the 16990, and then, add all the XT, GT, XTX, XTPE...

Like the 6950 1GB would be 16950XT and the 2GB would be 16950XTX...

I think I like the "HD" moniker better

That guy is like "yep, I just pulled this out of my pants... impressive huh!"

Perfect,

Three Mile island just upgraded their power plant. I can hook this puppy up and see which melts down first. lol

Looks like they adopted the cooling concept similar to the GTX 295 single PCB design.

I have that GTX 295 and one thing I dislike is dumps all the heat of the 2nd GPU directly at where all my hard disk is situated and so each time I run a game that supports SLI, my hard disk temp rises by several degrees.

Beautiful. Nothing like new hardware to brighten my day. It'll be even better if this beast is under $500.

If it were under $500 then I honestly think hell would freeze over. Its going to be at the very minimum $599, more likely $649-$699.

my rough estimate is 14.6 inches, using trigonometry and calculating backwards from the lengths we do know, width and height of other dual slot cards, and the proportions in the picture measured directly.

Will be slightly off because it is also tilted backwards along both its short axis as well as its long axis, and I only did a quick calc to compensate for the tilt along the long axis.

The first thing that came to my mind seeing those pictures, is that this is going to be one loudass video card.........

But will it play Crysis ?

doubtful as the ATI drivers are joke . .. .
I hope this is sarcasm. It performs pretty well on the 5 series even. Here's a better question. Do you even own a Radeon card?

The first thing that came to my mind seeing those pictures, is that this is going to be one loudass video card.........
It's probably the same fan that is used for all the Radeon cards. Just a bigger heatsink spread out equally instead of distributed on one side near the vent.

The 7 series cards will be so big they will need to slide into the hard drive bay and get screwed in for support.

How many power connectors has it got, looks a bit like 2 8pins but its hard to see? Because I was thinking that if this is going to be like the 5970, and be able to OC to 'become' a '6970x2', then it would need 3x8pin to supply the ~500w required and would be a loud mofo. Pure theorycraft mind.

Back