AMD Ryzen preorders begin today (AMD press release)

aww man... that means I don't buy today. I was thinking of selling the 5960X while it I can still get ~$900 out of it and replace it with the 1800X for a nice chunk of pocket change and similar performance.
Do you think people will still be willing to pay those kind of prices?

I suppose if preorders are up, they should lift NDA on its performance numbers as well...?

May need to build a box soon. Waiting on this one.

Went ahead and preordered the Asus prime b350m-a and 1700 along with 16 gb of corsair 3200 from amazon and got my $8.56 off. Should be a sizeable upgrade for just a bit over $500.

My only concern is lack of rear audio ports as I run a 5.1 speaker setup along with audio in, but I should be able to route that to the front audio port on my case.

Went ahead and preordered the Asus prime b350m-a and 1700 along with 16 gb of corsair 3200 from amazon and got my $8.56 off. Should be a sizeable upgrade for just a bit over $500.

My only concern is lack of rear audio ports as I run a 5.1 speaker setup along with audio in, but I should be able to route that to the front audio port on my case.
it looks like that board is only stereo. might need to go hdmi if you can...

it looks like that board is only stereo. might need to go hdmi if you can...

Good catch, looks like they went with mic and line in instead of the other audio channels. My main gaming is with oculus which has positional audio, and I have an hdmi switcher that routes video from my devices into my projector and splits the stereo audio into my htpc,which then pumps it to the 5.1 setup with speaker fill. So I'd only really be missing 5.1 sound from games that I don't use in the oculus. Not sure if that's even worth addressing unless it's to move everything to the 5.1 setup (ie hdmi receiver).

To play a sarcastic, Devil's advocate...

Intel : "What's this?! The independent benchmarks for these Kabylate processors only show marginal performance improvements from where we were CPU wise last year! To hell with that, no sale!"

AMD : "What's this?! I haven't seen independent benchmarks, but leaks and marketing material says these Ryzen processors may be around the same performance as where we were CPU wise last year! Pre-ordered!"

I know, I know, grossly over simplified but hope its not too contentious to point out that sentiment for the two companies being quite different is on display even more at the moment. I realize pricing is going to be a very big factor here particularly relative to core count, and while I'm really hoping for Ryzen to do well I'm still firmly in the wait and see camp here, no pre-order. Happy to let the market settle and any potential day-to-day usage issues come to light. I've waited this long already, what's a little while longer? Debating making my next upgrade a small form factor build and the associated motherboard availability there helping to make that easier to do.

move everything to the 5.1 setup (ie hdmi receiver).
no prob. I saw somewhere else talking about it and the big "two lane" graphics they have aboot it. the hdmi receiver, in my opinion, is the way to go and then just use the gpu's hdmi. digital is digital after all.

So I just went back over to Amazon and Newegg and the preorders for the X1800 appear to be gone. Instead of allowing you to "pre-order" they are now out of stock and all you can do is "auto-notify." Glad I got my preorder in about 12 minutes after it opened. Going to be yuge!

Intel : "What's this?! The independent benchmarks for these Kabylate processors only show marginal performance improvements from where we were CPU wise last year! To hell with that, no sale!"

AMD : "What's this?! I haven't seen independent benchmarks, but leaks and marketing material says these Ryzen processors may be around the same performance as where we were CPU wise last year! Pre-ordered!"

I know, I know, grossly over simplified but hope its not too contentious to point out that sentiment for the two companies being quite different is on display even more at the moment. I realize pricing is going to be a very big factor here particularly relative to core count, and while I'm really hoping for Ryzen to do well I'm still firmly in the wait and see camp here, no pre-order. Happy to let the market settle and any potential day-to-day usage issues come to light. I've waited this long already, what's a little while longer? Debating making my next upgrade a small form factor build and the associated motherboard availability there helping to make that easier to do.

Well, that pretty much ignores cost. A 1700 getting similar MT performance to a 6900k for 1/3 the price is driving some pre-orders and an 1800x beating it by 10% for half the price driving a few more. These 8 core processors aren't going to be limiting game performance, so it's really about heavily threaded workloads which at a grand for a 6900k was hard for a lot of people to justify, so they soldier on with a 3 or 4 year old 4 core, but at $329 for a 1700 to double your computer power (or in my case, probably close to quadruple) not so hard to make the case for.

Man, I should have just ordered this morning on my phone. Not sure why I didn't think they would sell out.

I get that everybody's excited about the 8C/16T Ryzen 7, but I hope they mention when Ryzen 5 will release. All I want is a 4C/8T for ~$200 that performs well so I don't have to buy intel.

You know I was wondering about AMD offering pre-ordering, but honestly its a great idea on their end. By launching pre-orders right on the back of launch, the hype will be harnessed at its most peak. (Unless NDA brings more flame). The lower prices and favorable comparisons will make it seem that they might sell out quick, especially if consumers remember Polaris and Pascal, and the pre-launch rumor hype seems to have done its trick, Ryzen stuff being sold out on some stores. I wonder if maybe this might be seen as a show of strength of AMD to its partners and retailers. Its been a long time since AMD was competitive and I wonder if any retailer, mobo maker or boutique builder might have been hedging bets regarding supporting AMD products. Preorders selling out will help relieve some worry I bet.

Going to be yuge
you(whered my txt go?!) nm....
I get that everybody's excited about the 8C/16T Ryzen 7, but I hope they mention when Ryzen 5 will release. All I want is a 4C/8T for ~$200 that performs well so I don't have to buy intel.
not till second half of the year. get a 1700 and youll be good for a few years.

Last edited:
source? just putting two and two together from all the info that's been released. r7 q1, vega q2 and everthing else is stated as second half. that could be 4 months or not till dec.

source? just putting two and two together from all the info that's been released. r7 q1, vega q2 and everthing else is stated as second half. that could be 4 months or not till dec.

I dont see how Vega would effect Ryzen 5 launch. There are as far as I know no statements indicating R5 launch in Q2. Tbh, aside from rumors, and a vague promise of a "full lineup" of processors, we have little info on Ryzen 5, 3 aside their existence.

I dont see how Vega would effect Ryzen 5 launch. There are as far as I know no statements indicating R5 launch in Q2. Tbh, aside from rumors, and a vague promise of a "full lineup" of processors, we have little info on Ryzen 5, 3 aside their existence.
jeez guys. I'm just piecing shit together and making an educated guess. vega does not play into the r5 situation that's just the order shit has been shown in the slides and in info that's floating around. the r3/r5 chips could come out next month, I really don't know. theyve stated that all the mobile and server shits coming in second half so the lower end chips would pprobably fit in there, if not sooner. that make any sense?

That 1800x sounds nice for 500, paired with a good mobo and 32 gig of ram... Just need a good cooler, any recommendations?

That 1800x sounds nice for 500, paired with a good mobo and 32 gig of ram... Just need a good cooler, any recommendations?
I'm looking at getting the Corsair Hydro Series H110i, which is confirmed to support AM4 already.

I do really like the look of the Cryorig H7, which will support AM4 with an adapter but you have to email them to get it and who knows how long that takes.

h110i if you can find one or any aio that uses the standard amd tabs.
edit: I guess any cooler that uses the tab will work but that is very limiting on air coolers.

Last edited:
jeez guys. I'm just piecing shit together and making an educated guess. vega does not play into the r5 situation that's just the order shit has been shown in the slides and in info that's floating around. the r3/r5 chips could come out next month, I really don't know. theyve stated that all the mobile and server shits coming in second half so the lower end chips would pprobably fit in there, if not sooner. that make any sense?

im sorry, didnt mean to sound annoyed.

RyzenConfirmed.jpg

Reactions: c3k
like this
Well, that pretty much ignores cost. A 1700 getting similar MT performance to a 6900k for 1/3 the price is driving some pre-orders and an 1800x beating it by 10% for half the price driving a few more. These 8 core processors aren't going to be limiting game performance, so it's really about heavily threaded workloads which at a grand for a 6900k was hard for a lot of people to justify, so they soldier on with a 3 or 4 year old 4 core, but at $329 for a 1700 to double your computer power (or in my case, probably close to quadruple) not so hard to make the case for.

Mentioned cost being a very big factor, and core count, and again if the performance being claimed is actually there when being independently benchmarked and at those price points I'll be thrilled, it will likely be my upgrade path. I am very curious to gleam some of the reasoning behind those price points too from the reviews, whether it is a case of Intel having been price gouging for AMD to be able to offer these price points, if AMD is undercutting their margin deliberately to gain market share and embarrass Intel, or if there are still some benchmarks and applications where Intel maintains the crown to offset that by the lower prices to make the case for bang for buck. I genuinely want to know, why a third of the price if it turns out to be that good.

Am looking forward to more cores becoming more mainstream too, so that will be reflected in software applications, so there is better incentive to move up from 3 or 4 (or in my case 5 or 6) year old quad cores.

Its been a long time since AMD was competitive and I wonder if any retailer, mobo maker or boutique builder might have been hedging bets regarding supporting AMD products. Preorders selling out will help relieve some worry I bet.

While I can understand some of the resentment aimed Intel's way, I suppose its the first part there that has me scratching my head a little regarding the amount of praise and goodwill going AMD's way, or the confidence in pre-ordering prior to reviews given their recent track record. I mean definitely "yay, competition!" and will praise them for bringing more cores and more processing power to the masses, to the consumer market and not just the enthusiast market, but having been in the wilderness for so long to then play catch up to an Intel product line up from Q2 last year that itself has been criticized for treading water and not advancing CPU performance, as a consumer I'm more inclined to say "phew, about time" than I am to throw them a party and say "great job!".

Just me being cynical sorry, and couldn't help notice the different tone.

I put in an order for an 1800X and 32GB of DDR4 but was fairly disappointed in the motherboard selection. The ones that had all the features I wanted were Asrocks that just showed auto-notify buttons from minute one. The MSI Titanium board would work but man, that price.

Mentioned cost being a very big factor, and core count, and again if the performance being claimed is actually there when being independently benchmarked and at those price points I'll be thrilled, it will likely be my upgrade path. I am very curious to gleam some of the reasoning behind those price points too from the reviews, whether it is a case of Intel having been price gouging for AMD to be able to offer these price points, if AMD is undercutting their margin deliberately to gain market share and embarrass Intel, or if there are still some benchmarks and applications where Intel maintains the crown to offset that by the lower prices to make the case for bang for buck. I genuinely want to know, why a third of the price if it turns out to be that good.

Am looking forward to more cores becoming more mainstream too, so that will be reflected in software applications, so there is better incentive to move up from 3 or 4 (or in my case 5 or 6) year old quad cores.

While I can understand some of the resentment aimed Intel's way, I suppose its the first part there that has me scratching my head a little regarding the amount of praise and goodwill going AMD's way, or the confidence in pre-ordering prior to reviews given their recent track record. I mean definitely "yay, competition!" and will praise them for bringing more cores and more processing power to the masses, to the consumer market and not just the enthusiast market, but having been in the wilderness for so long to then play catch up to an Intel product line up from Q2 last year that itself has been criticized for treading water and not advancing CPU performance, as a consumer I'm more inclined to say "phew, about time" than I am to throw them a party and say "great job!".

Just me being cynical sorry, and couldn't help notice the different tone.

nothing for you to be sorry about. I for one am not resentful of intel. Its natural for them to charge what they can. It makes me personally happy to see AMD return to competition, since as a consumer i like to see lower prices. But I like throwing parties. :)

I remember when we went from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad, then Core i7 920 then Core i7 980x. I thought for sure the core counts would keep increasing and we'd be at 32 cores by now. Nope. Install slammed on the breaks as soon as AMD blew their brains out with Bulldozer and they kept the high core counts for servers.

Dicks.

I hope AMD releases a 16C/32T Naples for single-socket HEDT for $1K but my pony is going to be a workstation with a dual 32C/64T Naples later this year.

I remember when we went from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad, then Core i7 920 then Core i7 980x. I thought for sure the core counts would keep increasing and we'd be at 32 cores by now. Nope. Install slammed on the breaks as soon as AMD blew their brains out with Bulldozer and they kept the high core counts for servers.

Dicks.

I hope AMD releases a 16C/32T Naples for single-socket HEDT for $1K but my pony is going to be a workstation with a dual 32C/64T Naples later this year.

Dannotech... what are you running that needs THAT many threads running in parallel... I have some 64 thread, and 72 thread machines.. but those are DB servers and Virutal Machine hosts... Just curious what would drive that need for a workstation other than bragging rights.

We should know more after the 28th. Also I think the R5's are 2nd qtr with the R3s being 2nd half along with itx mobos in 2H.

Some places are listing Vega in Q2 as well but not many are reporting so maybe wishful thinking.

I'm probably good for another year or two but it's going to be fun to watch this play out.

this shows why it wont work. it replaces the amd plastic pieces and bolts straight to the back plate.

the mount's look almost damn near the same between the am3 and am4 but it's hard to tell if they're just slightly wider than the am3 or not.

over.png

81e%2Bo6cTWhL._SL1084_.jpg

Last edited:
the screw hole spacing is different on am4. so any cooler that replaces/removes the black plastic pieces will need new adapters. heres the back plates to compare with am3(left). not all amd boards have the full plastic surround either.

I am also looking to see if i should get the corsair 115, it is kinda annoying that they havent said yes or no. I bought the 1700x and the MSI gaming carbon, I need to figure out with the 2 M2 ports if i can use one for nvme and one for SATA

You are in luck, almost all of the boards at least support Sata III on the primary M.2 port. This guy actually supports it on both. Like other 2 M.2 boards the 2nd M.2 will override a PCIe port if a PCIe M.2 is installed. But unlike most, you can use SATA III in that port and it will just override the 3rd physical SATA III port.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section

PCI_E6 slot will be unavailable when installing M.2 PCIe SSD in M2_2 slot. SATA3 port will be unavailable when installing the SATA SSD card in M2_2 slot.

That's the boat I am on. I have a 5 year old 3930k. I was planning on spending this year getting ready for a major overhaul of that system. Really wanted to get a few more cores out of it so that meant at minimum I was buying a $1000 CPU. Now if Ryzen holds up I can get my 8c16t for a third of the price I can just build a new machine for the cost of the upgrade and still be significantly cheaper. This went from a possible planned upgrade to be thought out later to an almost impulse buy. I might even get the 1800x for the "extra piece of mind". My 3930 was still more expensive. I am well beyond just drooling over game benchmarks. It's about having a system that yes can play games but do other things, lots of times those things at the same time. It's why it is smart that the Ryzen lineup looks to stay ahead of it's Intel competition in cores all the way down to i3 pricing. For the marginal single core performance advantage why would you give up the extra cores.

Still not ordering just yet. I want to see the full numbers and want a little more saturation in the cooler and mobo market. But I don't see how right now anything that would prevent or dissuade me from building a whole new Ryzen 8c16t system this year. Maybe Intel dropping the 6900k to 500-600. But I have wanted an AMD CPU worth buying for 8 years now.

Dannotech... what are you running that needs THAT many threads running in parallel... I have some 64 thread, and 72 thread machines.. but those are DB servers and Virutal Machine hosts... Just curious what would drive that need for a workstation other than bragging rights.

Spark? You can either cram a bunch of cores in a machine or link a bunch of machines together. I've got a 10 node cluster setup I use everyday that's 16cpu and 120GB of ram per node (in AWS) and I've managed to overload it. If you have sensitive data and/or don't want to be sending TB of data back/forth to the cloud you could use a machine or two with that much cpu power locally - or if you're running software that won't scale to multiple machines.

Back