AMD SB700 RAID drivers won't install

Un4given

Gawd
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm putting together a new system for my mom. I'm setting up a RAID 1 array to ensure data integrity. I was going to just use the SB700 RAID functionality, but I can't for the life of me get the drivers to load.

I can go into the BIOS and set the controller to RAID mode, and then during the boot I can enter the RAID configuration and create the array. However, when I try to install Windows XP I hit F6 during the startup and then give it a floppy disk with the drivers. I made the floppy from the driver CD included with the mobo and I included every single file on the CD under the AMD RAID folder. The readme file seems to confirm that these are the correct drivers for the SB700, but every time I try to load the drivers I get an error with the same file, the AHCIx86.sys.

I've downloaded drivers from the AMD web site, but I still get the same results. Anyone have any idea what's up here? I know it's not the floppy disk or drive, as I installed a PCI-e RAID card I had on hand and used the same disk and drive to install it's drivers, and did so without issue.

Oh, yes I read the manual, but the manual for this board is by far the worst I have ever seen. It didn't cover the RAID functions in any manner other than the general BIOS section that talked about where you set the drive controller to RAID mode.

The board is an ECS A780GM-A

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally figured it out!!!

Unfortunately I feel really stupid. Most driver disks for RAID controllers just want the drivers on the floppy. What I found was that the txtsetup.oem was configured to look for the drivers in specific directory, and I had copied all the files to the root of the floppy drive rather than take the directories over with the files. Once I copied them over exactly as they were arranged on the disk (directories and all) it worked flawlessly!

Man, do I feel stupid!

Back