AMD Sempron - Thoughts & Rumors

I'm sure you've heard of the Celeron... 8 different cores, 3 different architectures... I kinda get the cheap line keeping the name... if you're shooting for a cheap computer, you know a Celeron is going to be it. If you are a techie and you know of a nice Celeron (ie; Tualatin) you know which one to aim for

I had forgotten about that. Slot 1, Socket 370, and the Socket 423/478 still had the same name even tho the pentiums had 2/3/4 behind them. Makes me wonder why they didn't do that with celerons either, or they had (Celeron 2) but didn't keep that naming scheme up.

When intel starts putting out 64 bit cpu's for most mainstream users, more and more software will actually be optimized to take advantage of the 64 bit processors.

And by the time Intel is putting 64 bit chips up against AMD's main stream chips, AMD will have already paid off their research and development and lowered manufactering costs for chips like the athlon64 etc.

So by the time the two companies are going neck and neck with 64 bit chips, AMD's chips will be half the cost of Intels chips.

The Sempron is a great idea. Intel makes far too much money on the Celeron and now that there is differentiation for AMD budget PCs, more non-enthusiasts will be buying AMD. It will also be good for markets like China, India, and Latin America, places where the Duron is rocking right now.

So two versions of the processor:

Sempron for socket A

Sempron for Socket 754

err correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But what If all this is true, than you have to think of this as like a chess game between the two companies. All AMD is doing is simply getting ready to have a budget processor that will fit in the same socket as the high end processor to go against what ever Intel has to compete with in the future.

Look at AMD right now, already they are paying off the R&D for their 64 bit chip while intel has nothing right now. By the time intel has 64 bit chips the way AMD does, AMD will have their chips costing less than half the price of the Intel processors.

thats my two cents

-Mp

It will be funny if Celerons outsell Sempron because of their 64-bit extensions.

Mushroom Prince said:
So two versions of the processor:

Sempron for socket A

Sempron for Socket 754

err correct me if I'm wrong on that.

yes, Sempron is not a CPU, but rather a CPU family. Same as Pentium, which has had 586, 686 and 786 grade CPUs included in the name.

you guys say that when intel comes out with their 64-bit chip that AMD's will be half the price because they had time to pay the debts, but won't that just create the same situation as we were talking about earlier (i think it was this thread, anyway...)?

The majority of people will look at Intel and think their high prices means they are of higher quality, and so AMD will suffer even though their procs/chipsets are more mature and way cheaper, because everyone knows that "price = quality", and a low priced chip must be of low quality as well :rolleyes:

Well, thats what i am AFRAID will happen, but hopefully not, since perhaps many consumers will know about the AMD64 line since it is has no competition and is winning tech awards and stuff...

While AMD may have a good chunk of the R&D costs taken care of by the time Intel gets their 64 bit to the market, AMD will still be dumping a good chunk of money into new R&D to attempt to stay ahead of Intel or counter what they may be bringing out in the future.

Just remember, R&D costs are not like a bill you have that you pay off. It's an ongoing thing that never stops if the company wants to stay alive. I'd say it's more like a credit card. You do the initial purchases and pay some of them off then add some more onto it and pay some of it off. In the long run, you get paid off what you originally had on there, but you end up adding more to it. Sure, sometimes you get it paid off, but then you end up using it again which adds more to it or just starts the process over. It's not the best analogy, but I'd say it's more akin to what happens.

Based on the new info from the front page here, I can't see how this would be faster than any Athlon XP processor. Why bring out a whole new core for it's value segment when the current XPs are both cheap and fast? Marketing is the only reason I can think of. I guess AMD thinks it can't afford to have people equating former high-end equipment with value.

^^ Probably so people wont equte the athlon name with "value" Which have no problem with. I may get one of these processors eventually.

The new core should be cheaper,and faster, and probably scale to higher clockspeeds, (im talking about the k7 based sempron)

Probably more cost related than anything.
Get the Sempron name out there and keep the socket A alive a bit, drop it off and have everything on 754 and up for cheaper packaging.

Integrated memory controller should really make Sempron fly past the AXP's.

It really shouldn't matter except to the people who never want to let go of their Socket A boards. Socket 754 Sempron + cheap Socket 754 mobo combo for like $160 will be pretty dang good.

Again I think this can be a great distributed computing chip for a farm. At least for running project that dont like P4s very much.. Cheap and fast. Now we just need some cheap 754 boards.

It really shouldn't matter except to the people who never want to let go of their Socket A boards. Socket 754 Sempron + cheap Socket 754 mobo combo for like $160 will be pretty dang good.
I'm not really attached to my Socket A, I'm just not jumping aboard yet. $50, give or take, for a CPU upgrade is different than a new CPU, mobo, better RAM, etc...
When I upgrade next time it will be roughly twice as fast on all accounts. Currently I can't do that cheaply.

DaveX said:

Im very happy AMD decided to keep socket a alive for a few more weeks,months, etc. Its nice to see them at least giving some current customers an upgrade path. I dont think intel would ever do that.

From the roadmap on Anandtech, it looks like we'll only get a 2800+... not much of an upgrade path...

I'm wondering if the Socket A Sempron will even be any different than the current socket A line. I can't see AMD spending any more money on designing cores for the socket A platform. It wouldn't be cost effective. I'd bet that the socket A Sempron will be nothing other than the current socket A processors. They just get their name changed. I could also see AMD dropping the Barton and sticking with the rest of the processor line. Possibly leaving the Barton for mobile use only. I haven't really read anything substantial and have probably missed something that will prove me wrong, but this is what I see as the cost effective solution.

more people need to learn greek so they will know what semper means. lol, it might appeal to people that have difficulty seeing

SmokeRngs said:
I'm wondering if the Socket A Sempron will even be any different than the current socket A line.

As someone said above, AMD wants to reserve the name "Athlon" for higher end market, that is why the XP is getting the name "spermon". I highly doubt they will even bother tweaking with the chip design or anything. Probably just grab some of the old wafers, slap the new names, sell em for uber bargain prices.
K7 Spermon will result in the following:

-Will be hella cheap, even compared to Celeron.
-Will rape the celly in performance for the buck category
-Will reserve the Athlon name for higher end market.
-Will make you crybabies bitch less about "OMGASH TEH NOES I JUST BOUGHT MAH SOCKET A MOBO AND IT IS ABANDANNOWED!"
-Clear some old inventory? (I dunno when the names are etched on the core, but if AMD doesnt do it right away, then they will simply rename old XP's)

Now, as for K8 Spermon, although on paper it looks pretty disgusting, it MIGHT be somehow unlockable to 64bit. And if so..... DAAAYMN.
However, since they will simply disable the 64bit part of the chip and not redesign it, I doubt it will be a 4Ghz+ OC beast. And if so, I am not upgrading from 2.8Ghz K7 to 2.XGhz K8 anytime soon. Since a lot of chit needs to be bought, for a small performance gain, but it is way too soon to talk of shit, let us wait for the benches.

Either way, I am damn happy with my XP-M @ 2500Mhz on air, just bought my H20 set up, which most likely will get me to 2800mhz category (and still be quiet). Once I am there, am set gaming wise for a year. So will just sit back and watch. (Unless K7 spermon magically does like 3500mhz lol, then I will sped 50 bucks on it or so and pop it into my Nforce2).

SmokeRngs said:
I'm wondering if the Socket A Sempron will even be any different than the current socket A line.

It is a T-Bred and nothing else. This is no different from AMD taking a T-Bred and changing the label to Duron and updating the microcode with a new name. Well I guess it is different since my Durons have a reduced amount of cache, but you get the idea.

This is strictly a marketing ploy. Take current Athlon XP T-Bred design and change name, therefor the Athlon name can stay with the higher class CPUs just as t10 said above.

Just to clarify even though this has been said before in the thread, although maybe not this clearly.

Socket A Sempron = Athlon XP T-Bred
SAME DAMN CPU!

We all understand this and are in accordance here???
mkay...
:p

With any luck the yeilds will improve... get some better overclocks, otherwise it will still sell in my low end boxes.

Are the multi's locked?
Does it have coolnquiet?

Why in God's name is its PR rating higher than that of an Athlon 64 that outperforms it? Why is a 3100+ slower than a 2800+, even given they run the same clock speed?

Sell the processor, drop the bovine excrement.

We will see...Celeron D based on the Prescott core is no pushover...plus it has AMD x86-64 extensions...something Sempron doesn't have.

The big question is pricing. That will determine which path will be better. Low end A64 or one of the slower Semprons.

DaveX said:
We will see...Celeron D based on the Prescott core is no pushover...plus it has AMD x86-64 extensions...something Sempron doesn't have.

I don't think any Celeron will have 64-bit any time soon.

t10 said:
Now, as for K8 Spermon, although on paper it looks pretty disgusting, it MIGHT be somehow unlockable to 64bit. And if so..... DAAAYMN.

I don't know about that. The 64 bit functionality of the A64 just isn't used yet, and that includes the additional registers which should be the primary cause of performance increases in XP64.

So if the sempr0n can bring on-die memory controllers and good performance to the mainstream, I'm not disappointed in the slightest if Joe Blow can't upgrade past 4GB of RAM, assuming he could find high density DIMMs to do so anyway...

CentronMe said:
I don't think any Celeron will have 64-bit any time soon.

Now that Intel has adopted x86-64 extensions...they only have to implement them. Intel thinks 64-bit is the future and will use it to fight AMD...

X-bit Labs said:
Mr. Otellini also said that Intel Corp. is in position to enable 64-bit registers across top-to-bottom desktop family of CPUs, including Celeron and Pentium 4 products when Microsoft releases its operating system for such processors.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040516122935.html

If you want a value cpu with x86-64 because Windows XP-64 came out, AMD makes you pay more just for 64-bit while Intel is giving it away for free on Celeron D. Of course, I don't blame AMD for disabling 64-bit on Sempron because they themselves positioned Athlon 64s as a performance cpu. Most people would probably rather buy Sempron with 64-bit instead of an Athlon 64.

Celeron D = not shabby performance + agressive pricing + 64-bit capability when Windows XP-64 comes out later this year = win for OEMs

OEMs can market 64-bit capability in value boxes with Celeron D to the average customer...and the average customer might buy that over a Sempron configuration.

DaveX said:
Now that Intel has adopted x86-64 extensions...they only have to implement them. Intel thinks 64-bit is the future and will use it to fight AMD...

Halfway right. Of course Intel will have 64-bit P4s, but never Celerons. Its all in terms of marketing. If you cant upsale to the 64-bit P4 because the Celeron has 64-bit capability, people are going to ask why. Intel is in business to make money, and so upselling is good. This especially holds true when the chips cost the same amount to make.

I have no doubts that the Celeron will have 64bit capability one day, but I doubt it will be in the Celeron D.
Once 64bit becomes mainstream (law of finances says it will eventually), it will be 64bit.

Even if this time next year 64bit is mainstream with 32bit being the old bird, if Intel turns on 64bit in the Celery, there is no reason AMD cannot do the same with the Spermon. I'm betting that AMD will have the full 64bit solution before Intel just because they cannot afford to lose the unstable footing they have aquired in the market.

off topic, don't you love the nicknames these processors have aquired? lol

0ldman said:
I have no doubts that the Celeron will have 64bit capability one day, but I doubt it will be in the Celeron D.
Once 64bit becomes mainstream (law of finances says it will eventually), it will be 64bit.

Even if this time next year 64bit is mainstream with 32bit being the old bird, if Intel turns on 64bit in the Celery, there is no reason AMD cannot do the same with the Spermon. I'm betting that AMD will have the full 64bit solution before Intel just because they cannot afford to lose the unstable footing they have aquired in the market.

off topic, don't you love the nicknames these processors have aquired? lol

Agree 100%. Some day yes but I think that it will be a few years away.

yep yep.

Hay I had an intelligent thought that day. It is a rarity that it happens so good thing you saved it.
:D

0ldman said:
Are the multi's locked?
Does it have coolnquiet?

Why in God's name is its PR rating higher than that of an Athlon 64 that outperforms it? Why is a 3100+ slower than a 2800+, even given they run the same clock speed?

Sell the processor, drop the bovine excrement.

Most likely, its due to the fact that it is NOT ment to compare to a A64, but rather ment to compare to the Celeron. And in that respect it is likely that it is severely underrated.

duron w/ 256k + numbering system = Sempron

That's the thing, the Chinese site that benched it showed it being slower than a 2800+ Athlon 64. Both run 1.8GHz, yet its rated higher??

They need to stick with model numbers and let this PR BS go away.

be nice if Intel went to model numbers and didn't BS people...

wait... Intel did go to Model numbers.

Anyone whose buying these processors is gonna see the difference... they'll know Sempron isn't Athlon, just as they know Celeron isn't Pentium. They may not know how bad it is, but I really doubt they care.

DaveX said:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040516122935.html

If you want a value cpu with x86-64 because Windows XP-64 came out, AMD makes you pay more just for 64-bit while Intel is giving it away for free on Celeron D. Of course, I don't blame AMD for disabling 64-bit on Sempron because they themselves positioned Athlon 64s as a performance cpu. Most people would probably rather buy Sempron with 64-bit instead of an Athlon 64.

AMD made us pay more for 64 bit because they could, becuase if you wanted 64 bit, it was the only game in town.
If intel does push 64 enbaled celerons we'll probably see lower end A64's compete in a similar price point with the high end Celerons.

The thread is back from its vacation.

Apparently the mobile Sempron will have the NX flag enabled. This is of course for K8 Semprons only.

The Inq linky

Back