AMD sound issues? and board/cpu recommendations

Ren H

Limp Gawd
My post in the HTPC forum. Can anybody confirm or elaborate on the sound issue?

Been offered a deal on a Tyan K8E single socket 939 mobo but I've read some really bad comments by some tech folks about Tyan's quality these days...

Wondering what board and chip combos people would recommend for an HTPC.

-I have heard that AMD systems are prone to audio problems (e.g. crackling) unless you go for a dual opteron system. (not out of the question)

-I may use Linux or W2Kpro

-I also have an X Card

-am considering an m-audio card of some sort.

Currently thinking along the lines of a Supermicro or an Iwill, but have no idea what model as I'm not familiar with 64bit systems (which is the way I'd like to go). The machine would also be used for gaming and, as you might geuss from my sig, may be subject to some tweaking.

Don't bother, get either an asus or a abit, they got one of the best onboard soundcards, If I were you I've seen on sale Creative labs Audigy zs2 on sale for about $60 and you can find a x-fi music ver for about $90, If you game a lot I don't recommend onboard audio. I haven't heard of you sound card, If it doesen't suck a lotta cpu power and sounds nice, or you got a cheapo speaker system I would keep it.

Ppl like to spread rumors to prevent them from trying AMD, I'm an Intel user and I have friends who used AMD, they have never had audio problems. Only prob you might have is with the first dual core chips and mobo that you had to tweak a bit because back then dual core had some hiccups with some games CSS HL2, you had to set it up so that both processors pushed.

Back