AMD Temash Ultrabook from Acer

octoberasian

2[H]4U
Well, while we're waiting on news of actual AMD Jaguar-based ultrabooks and Richland-based notebooks to come out, here's one from Acer.

Acer Aspire V5-122P-0643
  • AMD A6-1450 (quad core/single Jaguar module) at 1GHz (1.4GHz Turbo); 4W to 6W TDP (sub-3W when used in tablets); and 2MB of L2 cache
  • Integrated Radeon HD 8280 GPU (on-die)
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • Multi-touch 11.6-inch screen at 1366x768 resolution
  • 500GB hard drive
  • Bluetooth 3.0, 802.11 b/g/n wifi
  • 3.3 lbs.
$449 USD listing price

http://www.minimachines.net/actu/acer-v5-122-un-11-6-tactile-sous-amd-a6-1450-a-450-6944

This is cheaper compared to the Acer Aspire V5 models with an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor and an Nvidia Geforce GT GPU for around $650 to $920. Or, an Aspire V5 with an Intel Pentium or Celeron processor for $525 to $550 with Intel HD graphics.

We presently have a similar Acer Aspire but with a dual-core [email protected] ... is this faster or slower, both wrt CPU and GPU? I'm okay with my cpu speed, but the 3D perf is abhorrent.

CPU is definitely slower, GPU is probably the same or faster. Keep in mind it's a Jaguar part aimed at low power consumption to compete with ARM. Jaguar parts have lower IPC than Deneb/Thuban, and this is clocked lower than your SB.

Price seems a bit high. The touchscreen is pointless (IMO). The battery life better be amazing with that 3-cell.

CPU is definitely slower, GPU is probably the same or faster. Keep in mind it's a Jaguar part aimed at low power consumption to compete with ARM. Jaguar parts have lower IPC than Deneb/Thuban, and this is clocked lower than your SB.

I am confused, I thought jaguar was the evolution of bobcat, and with bobcat having comparable ipc if not a little higher. I thought llano was just upclocked bobcats and llano was pretty much a push with deneb and thuban.

fuck, I guess I need to google.

I am confused, I thought jaguar was the evolution of bobcat, and with bobcat having comparable ipc if not a little higher. I thought llano was just upclocked bobcats and llano was pretty much a push with deneb and thuban.

He is saying jaguar cpu operations are slower than sandy bridge, which should be a pretty obvious detail. I guess I am more curious about the gpu comparison though.

Cut out the touch and slap on a brand that I have not scolded for the past 5 or 6 years, and I would buy it.

That's interesting. Was hoping for a cheap 'gaming' ultrabook with an A-10 though.

Kinda hard to achieve when ultrabook is a marketing word for a laptop with an Intel processor and a specification set by Intel.

Last edited:
11.6 inch, nice. When does this hit retail?

It doesn't say unfortunately.

And, the product page on the Acer website was removed immediately. However, if the release schedule is going to follow AMD Richland-based APU notebooks, I'm going to put my money on sometime between May and July.

That's interesting. Was hoping for a cheap 'gaming' ultrabook with an A-10 though.

It seems this is something made by someone who couldn't make their mind up. It has touch and it has an APU but it is far from an ultrabook and AMD doesn't even use this(both name and chip for these kinds of solutions (kabini would make more sense in this case) , Richland comes way closer to that, Temash is for tablets.

The person at Acer just didn't know it anymore and said screw it , we will give it a weak battery and 2gb of ram since no one will buy such a poorly designed machine anyway. (atleast not the people who know what to do with their money)

Btw Octoberasian , TEMASH will never be in any kind of "powerhouse" laptop/netbook. They have 17Watt Richland APU for that.

Still waiting for those Temash tablets :)

Last edited:

It is an evolution of Bobcat, but Llano is in no way similar to Bobcat. Bobcat was a brand new architecture not based on Deneb. Basically, Bobcat had significantly lower IPC than Deneb, Jaguar will have higher IPC but still lower IPC than Deneb, and SB has far higher IPC than Deneb.

My bobcat DM1z wasn't even that bad with a SSD installed before I sold it back in Jan. I would more then happily buy one of these if someone brings out a convertible a keyboard dock for a tablet. This should have no problem smacking around the current atoms that are out in similar devices...

Btw Octoberasian , TEMASH will never be in any kind of "powerhouse" laptop/netbook. They have 17Watt Richland APU for that.

Still waiting for those Temash tablets :)

I guess ultrabook was a bit much. Maybe cheap ass notebook? :D

I'm surprised this wasn't a tablet to begin with. If it was, a Windows 8 tablet with these specs and price would literally be the cheapest model out there. It would beat the Intel Atom tablet $50 to $100 higher in price and possibly performance.

Where is my faster AMD powered tablets with faster graphics already? :D

Back