AMD to retire the ATi brand?

I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens at the end of the year then. Interesting.

If they do, it makes sense. ATi are AMD property and have been for a while, AMD were only holding onto the ATi name for brand-recognition.

It is only a name unification, by stopping to use the ATI name and only use the AMD name. Not a pullout of the graphics card market. If the rumors are correct.

A sad day, I always liked the Idea that ATi was a seprate brand from AMD, but I guess they want people to assosiate AMD with Radeon cards, so they they can announce it as "The new AMD Radeon cards are released!" and not be "AMD's newest ATi Radeon cards are released" and not split their brand up.

Makes sense, as most people nowadays understand ATi=AMD but still, it would be VERY sad to see the ATi brand go, I always liked the fact that AMD kept the brand after the buy out :(

EDIT: After reading the article and the badly translated orginal, it seems to me, in my opinion, that they are only talking about removing the ATi brand from intergrated and fusion products, not neccerally dedicated cards, though I may be wrong. Its just my hoping anyways :p

Last edited:
I always bought ATI-cards because I liked the name. "ATI" sounds cooler than "nVidia", if ATI becomes just AMD then I'm probably going for nVidia because it doesn't sound as sleek anymore... lol

I always bought ATI-cards because I liked the name. "ATI" sounds cooler than "nVidia", if ATI becomes just AMD then I'm probably going for nVidia because it doesn't sound as sleek anymore... lol

not to be a fan boi but ATI does not sound better than NVidia....
:rolleyes:

Given the fantastic market penetration AMD has made with ATI cards since the takeover, it only makes sense. This affords them the opportunity to enhance their CPU division's name with the public.

There are too many companies called "ATI" as it is. (ATI School of Truck Driving, ATI School of Technology, ATI Procharger etc.) Plus I expected this change to happen much sooner.

That is the worst reason I have ever seen to pick one company over another.

Right, this seems logical I stopped calling them ATI cards awhile back, heck the PCBs have AMD printed on them now anyway. Not sure this will change much at all

Right, this seems logical I stopped calling them ATI cards awhile back, heck the PCBs have AMD printed on them now anyway. Not sure this will change much at all

The boxes show AMD branding on them as well. It seems to me that they've been transitioning to dropping the ATI name since the day they purchased / Merged with ATI.

Does this mean all the people that "hate" ATI cards can start buying AMD cards without compromising their ego? :p

I still like calling them ATI. I think of AMD as CPU's and ATI as GPU's. It's not like they're all under the same roof. ATI is still in Canada and AMD is still in California.

Similar to how the Markham HQ's ATI building name changed to AMD when AMD got them.

Well their name is AMD Graphics Product Group now. But thats quite an ugly name to brand a card with... AMDGPG Radeon 5782 isn't exactly catchy... Maybe the graphic designers can't be bothered to produce 2 sets of brands anymore...

Array Technologies Incorporated sounds cooler than the Spanish word for envy?

Back in the 486 days I referred to AMD as Another Mistake Developed. Their 486 and K5 processors were pretty pathetic to be honest.

Umm now we will have two team Greens. Can't they make a compromise and change the AMD logo to red?

I thought it was “Always Trouble Inside” now it’ll be “Another Messed up Driver” :p

While Nvidia may have the 9600 GSO, AMD will never put GSO in a card model's name, as people are just used to typing the proceeding "D" to go along with it as well...

I know it would take some extra thought to keep myself from naturally typing that extra D...

While AMD definitely had some serious success stories (like with the original Athlon series), I think a lot of consumers associate them with being cheaper/inferior to Intel. I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard that with people shopping for computers.
ATI doesn't have that same connotation. Plus, AMD's colors are green. I like the whole red/green thing going on with ATI and Nvidia.

I still like calling them ATI. I think of AMD as CPU's and ATI as GPU's. It's not like they're all under the same roof. ATI is still in Canada and AMD is still in California.

I thought only their legal office was in Cali, while their actual engineering and HQ were in Texars?

Long overdue. I retired the ATI name long ago, to me it's AMD Radeon and has been for years.

When I spoke with an AMD Marketing employee at the Dallas Eyefinity event a couple of months ago in Dallas, I was told that they considered ATI a brand of AMD. Like how Jordan is a brand Nike. Maybe now it's just more formal?

Why, when you bought something, and now own it, would you want to let anything think otherwise. Think like a Head of Corporate Marketing instead of a computer nerd and then having two brands from the same company in the same market space has some serious downsides. Forget the cost savings of merging the two marketing orgs.

But I dont care if it's a "Super Shit Slinger 9000" by "Jockstrap Industries". Either it performs at a fair price or it does not and has a warranty and good customer service or not. However it is mandatory that if it costs more than $250 a sticker of a 1/2 naked woman with big juggs is slapped on so I can tell it from all the offerings by other so called "manuf" of the same reference design. Dragons are cool. So a Dragon would be ok.

Makes complete sense to me - I'm a little surprised the ATi brand stuck around as long as it did. AMD has done a pretty good job of absorbing and applying their tech, and as long as the Radeon name line doesn't go away any time soon, I think the brand simplification should be a great idea. Makes the model-names for their graphics cards a little less of a mouth-full, which is a good thing.

It is fairly sound logic if you consider the direction they're taking with incorporating the CPU and GPU into a single part.

Back