AMD... Tri-Core?!?

Sure do it to recover bad cores. But let us not pretend it is anything else. Think about the realities of pricing.

An Intel Q6600 is only $50 more than an E6600. So if AMD were to compete the same way, the tri core would be $25 more than dual?

This might have made sense if AMD got to quads first and was the only game in town where they could charge you $400 for quad, $300 for tri and $200 for dual, but with intel squeezing the quad core margins, I think they will pretty much have to sell at almost the same price as duals to move.

not if they rid themselves of single core SKUs, make tri cores the new dual core, and dual core the new single core.

not if they rid themselves of single core SKUs, make tri cores the new dual core, and dual core the new single core.
That's another possible marketing strategy AMD can take, but according to the roadmap posted on the second page, single core processors will still be offered (Lima and Sparta) unless I read it wrong.

That's another possible marketing strategy AMD can take, but according to the roadmap posted on the second page, single core processors will still be offered (Lima and Sparta) unless I read it wrong.

in that case, AMD might try to build a whole new kind of PC and ask microsoft to make a whole new kind of OS for that whole new kind of PC :p

edit: well, not a whole new kind of OS :)

Sorry to go off topic, but this video is curious: http://www.syndrome-oc.net/articles.php?article=94&lang=en

Starting a little over 1 minute into the video, a Technical Director for Sales & Marketing at AMD calls Barcelona K10. Not once, but multiple times, and distinguishes it from the K8L (a low power K8, as *almost* all of us know and accept by now ;)). I guess we weren't the only dorks calling it K10.

Heka, a 45nm product, for release in 2009 is completely unrelated to Barcelona in its current state and has *nothing* to do with current yields. Welcome to the idiot filter. It's taken far too long.

I never claimed they did.Dont try to read in between the lines of my posts. :rolleyes: You'll only find foolishness and fantasy.Evidenced by your above post.You missed the point,but,I am not surprised at all by that.

I also see you too have joined the ranks of the younger members of our community with name calling,and churlish indirect slights and slurs.

Sorry to go off topic, but this video is curious: http://www.syndrome-oc.net/articles.php?article=94&lang=en

Starting a little over 1 minute into the video, a Technical Director for Sales & Marketing at AMD calls Barcelona K10. Not once, but multiple times, and distinguishes it from the K8L (a low power K8, as *almost* all of us know and accept by now ;)). I guess we weren't the only dorks calling it K10.

So then is Morfinx wrong in his naming assertions ? As he did claim it was not called that.

Also I dont think AMD will have any real power in the pricing dept.Intel will decide what
these chips cost.I can see Intel putting on more pressure by cutting quad core prices even more to lessen the impact on this tri core series release.

So then is Morfinx wrong in his naming assertions ? As he did claim it was not called that.
Nobody I know in the company calls it that, nor does it appear anywhere on any internal documents. *shrug* Seems like this media created name has already stuck with people. Oh well.

You guys are missing something here. If the Tri-Cores sell really well, AMD may start purposely disabling the 4th core and selling them...which means it could be possible to re-enable them. ;)

If that were true, AMD would be on fire in the enthusiast market. Hell, I know I'd buy one!

You guys are missing something here. If the Tri-Cores sell really well, AMD may start purposely disabling the 4th core and selling them...which means it could be possible to re-enable them. ;)

If that were true, AMD would be on fire in the enthusiast market. Hell, I know I'd buy one!
I highly doubt it - since AMD physically disables the cores - I think. Even if the 4th core is fine.

Hasn't it already been said that production of single core cpus has stopped at amd? x2 3600 and 3800's are less than $67 now.

Hasn't it already been said that production of single core cpus has stopped at amd? x2 3600 and 3800's are less than $67 now.
Check my post above, second one on this page. According to the roadmap posted on the previous page, there are single-cores still in the offering (Lima and Sparta).

I wish the focus was on making faster cores rather than adding multiple slower cores. I want fast burst speeds, you can add as many cores as you want but I'd much rather just have a SINGLE super fast one...

Check my post above, second one on this page. According to the roadmap posted on the previous page, there are single-cores still in the offering (Lima and Sparta).

Interesting. That means the last of the single cores will be produced and out this year as the rest of the roadmap has dual, triple, and quad cores.

Competitive pricing could put the triple core amd processor head to head with the dual core intel processors here in the future. Meaning that amd dual cores would be in the value segment to compete with whatever intel has down there. I know that if you showed me an x3 phenom or whatever and it was outperforming an e6600 at the same priice point, I'd go for the triple core.

Interesting. That means the last of the single cores will be produced and out this year as the rest of the roadmap has dual, triple, and quad cores.
It appears that way unless the roadmap changes. Single cores are becoming obsolete if they aren't already. In effect, the duals will be marketed as singles in the low end, the tris as duals in the mid range, and the quads will defend the fort at the top of the hierarchy until octal cores enter the scheme.

It appears that way unless the roadmap changes. Single cores are becoming obsolete if they aren't already. In effect, the duals will be marketed as singles in the low end, the tris as duals in the mid range, and the quads will defend the fort at the top of the hierarchy until octal cores enter the scheme.

octal cores? I'm gonna get flamed for it, but its getting ridiculous on the cpu front. The shrinking of cpu dies in conjunction with multiple cores over the past two years has been crazy. I don't think I'll ever need 8 cores. But then again, I once told a guy he'd never need 20gb of hard drive space either :D

I wish the focus was on making faster cores rather than adding multiple slower cores. I want fast burst speeds, you can add as many cores as you want but I'd much rather just have a SINGLE super fast one...

I take it you're a software/game programmer? :p

Back