AMD VS Conroe... what AMD is upto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally read the first few lines, saw the 4mb cache "cheating" comment, and skipped the rest.

:rolleyes:

In before the Lock.

This is some very sad stuff indeed. Hopefully the OP can go outside and get some sun before he turns into a blob of gelatinous goo.

Serge84 said:
Doesn't mean you'll really see that big of a difference with any 2 machines. maybe in your head. But mixed unmarked boxes with the best of intel and the best of AMD side by side. You'll never tell the difference in a game or anything else.

I ask this next question in all sersiousness; if what you said above is true, then what was the point of your entire post above these lines?

mwarps said:
In before the Lock.
No good reason to lock; I see this thread going on for a long, long, time.

In before the irrational arguments!

cyks said:
No good reason to lock; I see this thread going on for a long, long, time.

In before the irrational arguments!
wait...weren't those in the first post?

this somehow reminds me of this "all your base are belong to us" guy a couple of years ago... anyone remember? :p

First of all im an AMD fan but im going to agree with the majority of the replies and suggest you do some research. Grammar is not something I judge a post on, but misleading or incorrect content I do and let me say this post was damn painful to read.

Serge84 said:
Conroe...
Future...
That socket type is capable of stock speeds of more around 4ghz. We'll see speeds on AMD's line at around 2007 and 5ghz at 2008. Ahh the laws of speed. Doubles every 2 years. Well thats speed wise on how AMD clocks their cpus much differently then intels. But I know AMD is going to have better speed per clock over time so 3ghz in 2 years to AMD is going to be like 8ghz to intel now as in how intel clocks their cpus until . Conroe... that is then intel changed the way they clocked cpus becuase its faster per clock then current intel chips.

The rule is not that cpu speeds double every year, never has been. If that were the case then Intel and AMD are way behind. Transistor count is what apparently doubles every two years(Moore's Law), and they can acheive this in other ways. Ie more than one core.
5ghz in 2008 will most likely not happen. The trend now seems to be $ of cores, and realize when they do quad core, its not going to be 4x3.6ghz cores, theyll probably do something more like 4x2.8ghz off the bat and then increase from there as yields get better.

Serge84 said:
The conroe uses 4mb's of L2, it is a SSE monster. 2 cores, extra 64 bit line. About it. Will be a great multi-tasker. But its really not that impressave. It cheats by using that 4mb's of fast L2 for long processes meaning it seems faster then it really is. But when it runs out of L2 its no more as good as a FX-60. The conroe is great for benching and sprinting. But won't be as good in games as a next gen FX.

Err so having more cache is cheating? your logic makes complete sense if cache above 2mb would provide no real world benefit. But it does, not necessarily in games but many workstation class applications. This is far from cheating, im sure AMD will follow soon at some point as cache prices continue to drop.

Serge84 said:
AMD chips prob never run at real stock on what they are tested on. Usouly can get 1gb out of them nomatter what in a OC. And 1.5gb in a good day mostly with the semperons. This will be doubled because of the slightly different desine still K8 but with verious improvments to increase performance and tollarances. This means a great deal to OCing. No cap leakage at high speeds and FSB as well as volts being the main factor. Intels are very well known at cap leakage. AMD has made the multiplyer to 333 per x now. making data transfure about 40% faster and raises the max FSB for the cpu's threshhold from around 400 or 500 in a OC or higher. You'll see DFI boards with a FSB multiplyer at around 600 max. Usouly 450fsb is max on current boards like my Tforce6100 or any DFI boards. Tho almost no one can ever brake 400fsb. Rare they can. Well in the extreme forums they like to show off like that. Some just get lucky.

So on average a 3000+ hits 2.8ghz and a 3500+ hits 3.2ghz and an FX60 hits 3.6ghz. HUH, if this were the case it would be great but its far from it. Do yourself a favour and lookup 'speed binning' it may give you some indication as to why SOME 3000+'s hit 2.8ghz+ but alot of them will not. The rest of this quote as far as I can tell is just unsubstantiated gibberish.

:confused:

edit: btw moving to 65nm alone will not provide AMD with a speed benefit, but as a result of greater effeciency should yield higher clocks. IE a theoretical average of 2.5ghz on 90nm may increase to 2.6-2.8ghz on 65nm depending on how well the transition goes. 45nm is still a ways off and anything I've read indicates there could possibly be some hurdles with that one.

and once again let me re-iterate before im accued of being an Intel !!!!!!, I own an AMD and will contiune to buy AMD as long as their better. I dont beleive in Brand preference but rather Performance preference.

I can see it now...

New for 2008, the Lo*itech Breathalyzer Wireless keyboard Mouse combo gives forum moderators a simple and convienient way to manage posters using controlled substances... jk.

istymie said:
I can see it now...

New for 2008, the Lo*itech Breathalyzer Wireless keyboard Mouse combo gives forum moderators a simple and convienient way to manage posters using controlled substances... jk.

Hey now, damnit, I post plenty when I'm drunk. Users on crack, however, need to be dealt with.

Hooked on Phonics worked for him....

Normally if I read something like that I assume that English is not your native language. I think in this case, English is certainly not the native language being that the author is from another planet entirely. 4MB of cache is cheating? Um, no it's cache, it makes the CPU faster. That's like saying that hitting home runs in baseball is cheating because once the ball's over the fence the batter can't make an out! Nifty post as flamebait only-not even mediocre as a crazy man's view of the future.

duby229 said:
This is a little bit misleading. Nothing terribly wrong with it either. I just want to put one thing out.

Alot of people equate a higher resolution as being the better process, and that just simply is not the case. AMD's 90nm process is performing on par, and in some cases better then Intel's 65nm process. Plus the properties of SSOI allow them to do things in silicon that Intel's process doesnt.

The only advantage that I can think of is that Intel can produce higher resolutions...
smaller process with constant yield = more dice/ wafer -> decreased costs (likely) -> increased profitability.
nonetheless I understand your point: not all 90nm resolution processes are the same.

duby229 said:
This is a little bit misleading. Nothing terribly wrong with it either. I just want to put one thing out.

Alot of people equate a higher resolution as being the better process, and that just simply is not the case. AMD's 90nm process is performing on par, and in some cases better then Intel's 65nm process. Plus the properties of SSOI allow them to do things in silicon that Intel's process doesnt.

The only advantage that I can think of is that Intel can produce higher resolutions...

I don't get it. That's PC/chip vocabulary stew. Or maybe a tossed PC/chip vocab salad? Am I missing more jokes?

And if you look here, ladies and gentlemen, we have a fine example of what we like to call "flamebait". As you can see, the author has spared no expense in ensuring that his thread will attract as much attention as hatred as possible. Note the excellent use of bad grammar to further the hatred, as well as the blatant lies and misinformation.

wizzackr said:
this somehow reminds me of this "all your base are belong to us" guy a couple of years ago... anyone remember? :p
Yeah - the vid file was hilarious!

Mod Edit: Thread was headed south...going ...gone ~ Papa-Ming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back