AMD x2 4000 65nm Brisbane AM2 OCing

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi. I'm trying to avoid an upgrade for a little bit until the e7200's come out (and then drop in price). I've been running my AMD x2 4000 @:
274 x 10 = 2.74ghz
vCore = 1.296 in cpuz
Max Temp: 51c
HT Multi: 3x
2 x 1 gig of ram: 4-4-4-12-2T 457mhz 2.2v

Now I just got 2 more gigs of the same type of ram and instead of setting my Ram to run at 667mhz in the Bios (like I did) I have to set it to run at 533mhz (342.5mhz in Cpuz) so it boots.

So some of my questions are:

1) What can I tweak to get more out of my CPU?

2) does 4 x 1 gig of ram make OCing harder as opposed to my old 2 x 1 gig?

3) Is going from 457mhz to 342mhz a big deal?

4) Since my ram is running at a slower frequency does that mean I should re-try to OC my CPU and see if it will give me a little more?

if you bought 2 gigs of the same ram, you still should be able to run it at 667 just like you did with the others

Well I can't run it at 667. Everytime I try I save the BIOS then it won't post.

So some of my questions are:

1) What can I tweak to get more out of my CPU?

2) does 4 x 1 gig of ram make OCing harder as opposed to my old 2 x 1 gig?

3) Is going from 457mhz to 342mhz a big deal?

4) Since my ram is running at a slower frequency does that mean I should re-try to OC my CPU and see if it will give me a little more?

A1. I cant tell ya since i have no experience with that mobo and cpu.

A2. Its not harder to OC but in most cases harder to keep your system stable as all your pc components dont OC to the same speeds ex. one e6600 can oc to 3ghz while others may only be able to hit 2.8ghz (just example)

A3. Its depends on your desired preference of performance.

A4. I'd try to get more out of the CPU since u run your rams at 533, it has a lil more head room for CPU OC.

Your max temp is a bit high for stock voltage. Giving that the memory controller is in the CPU, and something (possibly that) is holding you back from running your memory faster... you might need more voltage to get a better overclock. This of course means seeing if you can get that temperature down.

Well I can't seem to get it to run orthos even at max voltage at 2.8+ ghz

Max voltage is like 1.565 in BIOS but it only comes up as roughly 1.4 (or maybe 1.45) in CPUZ.

My max temps I've seen (@ max voltage) are 54c roughly.

I would bump the volts on the chipset a little bit, because it isn't your cpu.

Back