AMD X7750 Black Edition and memory frequency- 1066 or 800?

Nautique

n00b
Hello all,

As I'm planning to build a system with an Asus M3A78 and an AMD Athlon X2 7750 (2.7, Dual Core, Black Edition), I would like to ask for some input about what memory I should use.

I plan on overclocking the processor but as it has an unlocked multiplier I understand I can simply overclock it by increasing the multiplier, without bothering about FSB speeds etc. This way it can, according to this review, get to ~3.2 GHz, stable, and without the need to mess with anything else.

So here's my question, I plan on running 2 GB of DDR2 RAM for the time being (2x1 GB, Dual Channel). Should I get a couple of 800 MHz sticks or prefer the 1066MHz ones? Price difference is roughtly $13 (KINGSTON KVR800D2N6 vs KINGSTON KHX8500D2K2/2G HYPERX 2GB)

Any help will be much appreciated. This is my first completely-from-scratch system build and I'd like to get things right :)

Thanks in advance.

I'm running 1066 with my 4gb of dual-channel unganged memory on a 7750.
My FSB: DRAM ratio is 3:4 at stock.
I usually like to run my RAM at DDR2 800 because the ratio is 1:2.
But I feel like it's faster at 1066 speeds.
I don't know what others will tell you but I feel like 1066 is just a little zippier for everything.

I searched a bit and there's some information here already.

I'm not sure, I tend to think 800 would be OK since I won't be bothering with the FSB frequency, plus it consumes less power (I believe so, at least). But on the other hand, 1066 could give nice headroom and may help if I get my hands on an AM3+ CPU down the line.....I'm lost :)

Yeah I got 1066 mostly because I'm planning to get a Phenom II in about a year or so.
Just wanted the 7750 because my old CPU was too slow for anything and I had the money at the time.
Another reason to go 1066 I guess

thanks for posting this, i was just looking around for the same info. i have my 7750 and 800, but can always switch up to 1066 and dump the 800 into another system here.

that was a good article, remember reading it earlier. but it doesn't really have an apples to apples comparison for amd systems running 1066 and 800.

im in the same boat. im about to order tomorrow. i was looking at this ram here, seems to get good reviews and decent price. what do you think? will be using in an asus am2+ board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

I would caution you against jumping the gun on this. I've been helping a friend with a new AMD build recently, and just ran up against g.skill ram myself.

I do not know for certain (as I haven't really gotten a definitive response from a member here at [H] that was able to provide much of an explanation) - but from what I have been able to gather, G.Skill ram does not work in AMD mobo's.

===== =====

If you are looking for 4GB of 1066 DDR2 Dual channel, I would recommend, this set of corsair ram. It's only about $5 more than the G.Skill, and besides, it's Corsair - I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with their products.

I have that exact set in my 6-month-old ASUS AM2+ build, and it works like a dream.

Hope you check back to see this in time.

thats alittle much for my budget...i dont do mail in rebates either...what about this ram...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104098

Honestly, after I switched from Crucial to Corsair, I never went back. I've never used kingston, so I can't really give you first-hand advice there. From what I have heard though, their stuff is decent.

As for not doing MIR's... I had no way to know that when I recommended that one, nor can I fathom why you wouldn't want to take 5 minutes of time to save $15 and get a higher quality of ram for the same price as the other guys.

dem, its not that i wouldnt take time to submit the mir, its that people on both the corsair page and ocz page havent gotten the mir. so i dont trust them. i had corsair in the past and loved it. ill probably just get the corsair.

I would caution you against jumping the gun on this. I've been helping a friend with a new AMD build recently, and just ran up against g.skill ram myself.

I do not know for certain (as I haven't really gotten a definitive response from a member here at [H] that was able to provide much of an explanation) - but from what I have been able to gather, G.Skill ram does not work in AMD mobo's.

Very Odd...

I run 4 GB G skills DDR800 sets in both of my HTPCs using AMD 780s... Never had a problem with either.

i went with the g skill...did alot of googling research. that g skill got better remarks than the ocz and corsair, tho im sure both are nice.

dem, its not that i wouldnt take time to submit the mir, its that people on both the corsair page and ocz page havent gotten the mir. so i dont trust them. i had corsair in the past and loved it. ill probably just get the corsair.

That is very odd. I bought a corsair PSU, and that Dominator ram, and recieved both of my MIR's within the week.

As for the G.Skill, I hope that works out for you. Could you send me a PM with the results? Ty

Hey daytripper,

Thanks for the information. I finally went with the Kingston 800MHz as I did not wish to take any chances and initially I will only be overclocking mildly by simply adjusting the multiplier. I will consider an upgrade later down the road. Thankfully modern RAM isn't that expensive.

Back