AMD's New Socket: G34

Silent.Sin

Gawd
Hello AMD Socket G34 - DailyTech.com

We counted 1974 pin connects on the leaked G34 diagram -- 767 more pins than AMD's current LGA1207 socket. Given the additional interconnect pathways for DDR3 and the HyperTransport buses, a significant increase in the number of pins was to be expected.

The addition of a fourth HyperTransport link may prove to be one of the most interesting features of the Sao Paulo and Magny-Cours processors. In a full four-socket configuration, each physical processor will dedicate a HyperTransport link to each of the other sockets. This leaves one additional HyperTransport lane per processor, which AMD documentation claims will finally be used for its long-discussed Torrenza program.

Quad channel DDR3? Quad HT3? I can't wait to see what can possibly use such ridiculous bandwidth. Hope that Torrenza platform AMD + IBM are building on produces some cool new toys to make use of it :).

Looks impressive. It'll be interesting to see how the amount of bandwidth will stack up against Quickpath, and how well this platform will do compared to Intel's superior CPU performance. Unfortunately though, this still doesn't help AMD at all in the desktop sector since the extra bandwidth will be pretty much useless in a single-chip configuration.

Hope that Torrenza platform AMD + IBM are building on produces some cool new toys to make use of it :).

Torrenza has nothing to do with IBM. The article merely mentioned that Torrenza is similar to the implementation IBM is using for parallel processing in their next supercomputer, which is supposedly going to be using Power7 chips, so AMD has absolutely no relationship with it.

Torrenza has nothing to do with IBM. The article merely mentioned that Torrenza is similar to the implementation IBM is using for parallel processing in their next supercomputer, which is supposedly going to be using Power7 chips, so AMD has absolutely no relationship with it.

I thought IBM was developing things that will be pin compatible? I know AMD and IBM have some sort of relationship going on, I figured it was for this type of thing specifically. Maybe not for consumer markets, but for HPC type endeavors?

Okay, I admit I have been behind on AMD's happenings lately, but what happened to AM3? Is that what this article is saying? There is going to be no AM3?? :(

Okay, I admit I have been behind on AMD's happenings lately, but what happened to AM3? Is that what this article is saying? There is going to be no AM3?? :(

i believe this will be for servers, if im not mistaken

AM3 is the socket for AMD's future DDR3-supporting desktop CPUs. This socket will be for a future server-grade platform, so they're not related.

It's about time AMD stopped development on something already outperformed, and is setting its sights in uncharted waters, where they have a chance to kick Intel's Ass.

How many times do we have to say that IBM and AMD have never agreed on, inked agreements on, or even seriously discussed socket compatibility before you people learn it? *sigh*

I'm sitting and waiting. Maybe they finally will have a convincing reason for me to swing back their way.

How many times do we have to say that IBM and AMD have never agreed on, inked agreements on, or even seriously discussed socket compatibility before you people learn it? *sigh*

I'm sitting and waiting. Maybe they finally will have a convincing reason for me to swing back their way.

I did not mean to imply IBM would in any way, shape, or form be compatible with the G34 socket. They will, however, have socket compatibility inside of Torrenza products. This was the first time I heard concrete mention of actual implementation of that standard in roadmappish terms. Actually I hadn't heard about Torrenza anything for quite some time. I mentioned AMD and IBM exclusively in that statement because the other companies in the Torrenza consorteum aren't all that interesting to think about, or may have already quietly jumped ship.

AMD has their CPU, GPU, etc background to leverage into that and IBM has their Power series and access to the Cell architecture plus oodles and oodles of other research projects. There's also HP, Cray, Sun, etc in the Torrenza boat, but they don't have very exciting solutions to be put to use by Torrenza, they might only provide compatibility for it in their servers. Sun has the SPARC architecture, but honestly who cares about accelerating java :p.

http://hardwarezone.co.th/news/view.php?cid=5&id=5503
http://enterprise.amd.com/us-en/AMD-Business/Technology-Home/Torrenza.aspx

Back