America's Best Places for a Raise

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to data collected by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, these are the best / worst places to try to get a raise. A raise? I think most of us are more worried about keeping a job than we are about getting a raise.

Haven't had one in 5 years. Yet they want more and more from me. And I'll comply cause its better than unemployment.

Im a manager at 5 guys burgers and fries haven't had a raise in 2 years.

Every good employee deserves a raise.
tumblr_m84u9uf2tV1qg38m8.png

Haven't had one in 5 years. Yet they want more and more from me. And I'll comply cause its better than unemployment.

You must work for the state of Georgia, just like me!!!!!

For me, a "raise" is where I get laid off and get a higher paying job. I started at $17 an hour in March of 2007 and now I'm making $31 per hour. Would love to get benefits, though.

Is it just me or why is there a huge blue bubble in southern Maine? On a side note, why is the state that sticks out the east coast like a giant giraffe called 'Maine'?

If you don't get the raise you want, get a new job. That's what I've done.

Interesting. I live right on the overlap of two big green dots, and my boss has flat out said that she "doesn't believe in raises."

I was listening to NPR a week ago, and they were talking about a recent study that showed something Steve alluded to in his news post: The definition of middle class has changed from "having steady income, a home and car" to simply "having a steady job" ...that's kinda disturbing.

Interesting. I live right on the overlap of two big green dots, and my boss has flat out said that she "doesn't believe in raises."

She must believe in "high turnover", "unsatisfied employees" and "loss of productivity".

I was listening to NPR a week ago, and they were talking about a recent study that showed something Steve alluded to in his news post: The definition of middle class has changed from "having steady income, a home and car" to simply "having a steady job" ...that's kinda disturbing.

edit: "steady well-paying job" to just plain "steady job"

Humor me a little bit. Home ownership doesn't always equate to income level. Owning a car isn't always necessary. Take an urbanite with a reasonable, middle of the road income of about $55k annually. This person can live in a major population center by renting a midrange apartment and use public transportation or a combination of foot and bicycle to get around. It's not totally unreasonable to base the class in which a person falls on their income alone rather than their assets (in the case of a home, that's sometimes a liability rather than asset since a lot of Americans apply for a loan to buy a house).

Lol, San Diego county looks like one of the worst.

California actually topped most article's lists for their wage increases. According to this article of 'Metro Areas with the biggest annual average annual increases in wages and salaries' out of the top 10 cities that had the biggest wage increases in the country 5 were in California. (1 in Maine, 1 in New Jersey, Washington DC, one in Washington state, and 1 in Arizona around out the list.)

Is it just me or why is there a huge blue bubble in southern Maine? On a side note, why is the state that sticks out the east coast like a giant giraffe called 'Maine'?

Southern Maine is home to South Portland/Portland which is our largest city and part of the "Portland – South Portland – Biddeford metropolitan area" which includes 1/3rd the states population.

there are more blue dots than red once. sadly i haven't had any luck with raise either, well not that significant to add up on my savings.

I've only had one raise in the past three years, and its almost comical that there are some people who have worked at this place for 10+ hard working years without a raise.

middle of the road income of about $55k annually.

My edit button seems to have disappeared

Middle of the road income where you live is 55K? I have to work six days a week to even get to that figure, including working 9-11 hour days...............

I asked my boss for a raise and he told me to take the elevator up to the 3rd floor.

The manager at my last job specifically told me there was no chance in hell i was getting a raise, no matter how hard i worked, or how many hours i worked, Nothing.

My productivity dropped heavily after being told that, I went from: "well if i work hard they'll give me a raise and maybe this wont be so bad" straight to "No fucks were given on this day...or the next"

I went from zero incorrect orders per shift to well...I lost count of how many fucked up orders i made, I no longer cared, i was searching for a new job anyways. And my cook times jumped about 4-5 minutes per order. Don't give me a fucking 50 cent raise that i busted my ass for and it'll cost you one way or the other. At least i wasn't as bad as some of the other employees after finding out they had no chance of ever making more money....some of them robbed that place blind, whole kegs ended up missing and no one knew a thing....yet they all had hangovers :p

My edit button seems to have disappeared

Middle of the road income where you live is 55K? I have to work six days a week to even get to that figure, including working 9-11 hour days...............

That's more like the range of middle class for the nation...not the average for all Americans nationwide, but about what it takes for a household to be considered "middle class." Around Seattle where I live, the cost of living is fairly high so $55k doesn't really go very far if that represents your entire household income and you have a family. It's not as exaggerated as the DC metro area, but that sort of monies would land you on the lower end of middle class.

^On a straight dollar value, places that have the highest tax rates are generally going to have the highest wage increases, because companies have to pay people more to compensate for all of the money the government is stealing from employees.

On the flip side, those employees have to work harder, because businesses can afford fewer employees, due to the high personnel cost in those metros. Unemployment is likely higher, like I know it is in California.

Bam:
http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/news/chicago-metro-unemployment-june-2012

That's more like the range of middle class for the nation...not the average for all Americans nationwide, but about what it takes for a household to be considered "middle class." Around Seattle where I live, the cost of living is fairly high so $55k doesn't really go very far if that represents your entire household income and you have a family. It's not as exaggerated as the DC metro area, but that sort of monies would land you on the lower end of middle class.

Correct. Like in the Pittsburgh area, I believe the average is in the low to mid 30s. That seems like nothing to a lot of people in large metro areas (see NYC), but in Pittsburgh you can buy a pretty nice house for under $100k.

What amazes me is that people still drive Infiniti and BMW cars around here like it's nothing. A lot of people have cars worth more than their houses.

Yep. Cost of living is everything. In some areas 50k is nothing. In others it affords you a pretty comfortable lifestyle and the ability to own a nice house, etc.

Anyway. I haven't gotten a raise in almost 5 years, but I work in a business heavily tied to the housing industry and work for myself. Frankly I'm just happy I didn't go bankrupt, like a lot of my competition. When things eventually pick back up and I can hire people again, I should be sitting pretty.

I worked in places that I didn't get raises. 2 years max, and I had a job that gave me a raise walking in the door. Place I'm at now gives raises every year to everyone (assuming you meet the metrics for a raise). This job is one I've held longer than any before with 2 promotions, 30% wage increase (with another potentially large increase/promotion sitting on the desk right now), and regular potential to keep getting higher and making more money. Funny how that works - keep giving me more money, and I'll keep busting my ass. Don't reward me, I find a place that will.

You would think businesses would show some sort of logic and learn to keep existing people happy rather than training up newbies. There's some people in my area that have been with the company 40 years or more. That's a level of experience you won't replace easily, so just give them their money!

"Corporations are people." Hmmm... Who said that! M.R. said that is his family, money and vision for the wealthy working class. All the while his wealthy big corporations are outsourcing American workers, Human Resources will tell you: "this isn't personal, it's business." All Americans think… “United we Stand. ” I will not join the AARP until it stops doing business with Big Businesses (Insurance Companies i.e. the Hartford Ins.) who out source American workers for foreign India workers, etc. If people would stop joining AARP, we would see corporations respect American workers, because… people are standing united against this abuse of corporate power. Hey, this isn’t personal; it’s the only business, big business understands. :eek:

Greed has overtaken common sense to do the right things, back when businesses paid taxes and not seek loop holes... example, when employers fraudulently lay off their American workers and then reclassify their job title, same tasks with additional work. The laid off worker reapplies for their same job, but at a lower starting wage (up to 50% less). It gets worst for the working class taxpayers; employers receive a new hire tax break on rehires (tempts)!! The government does not record employers laid off workers vs. new hires (to see if they performing in the same job) or what the laid off worker's income was vs. the re-hired starting wages. Imagine that… the same employee trying to keep their job by reapplying for the same job. This is employment fraud! There isn't one Federal Judge who will put a stop to this abusive business conduct by scrupulous companies. And, those companies are notorious for giving their employees an average cost of living increase only to nullify it; by cutting back your work hours or suspending any future wage increases for several years. :(

I've found that companies typically don't give you raises unless you ask for it. If you're working along with some salary and aren't complaining...then why raise it? Of course I always say they should just do the raise if you're doing well...sort of shitty they have to give you a raise when you're thinking of leaving...but oh well.

Wow, reading through the comments makes me feel extremely lucky. I've been with the same company for over 12 years and never not had a pay increase of some sort. Even when the recession started and the company said no raises that year, I got a promotion which came with a pay raise. Granted I'm a salaried employee (not management) and still put in 55-70 hours a week vs. a required 40 and I do my job very well so my raises are well earned.

It sucks that companies are using the fear of unemployment to justify screwing over their employees. I used to feel that unions had absolutely served their purpose and were no longer needed in our country, but it's shit like this that has me re-evaluating my position on unions.

Duh? Where is the incentive for business to give out wages? Its not like the old days anymore, where competition for top workers caused wages to rise steadily over time. Throw in the almost total collapse of Unions to drive up wages/benefits for everyone else, and you get stagnation.

Consider: In 1980, a house cost a single years income. Now? More like 10 years worth. Gas is up. So on and so forth. And wages haven't risen to match.

So yeah, why should anyone be shocked that the age old economic policy of "wait for consumer spending to get us out of recessions" doesn't work anymore? Because consumers have less money to spend, limiting economic growth.

My point being, the US (and entire Western) economy is basically broken at this point, and I suspect things will get much worse before they get better. Wealth distribution failures will bring down the economy when all is said and done. But hey, its what you the majority fo the population wanted to have happen, because Capitalsim, YAY!

guess I'm also lucky, I have never not gotten a raise and amazingly the amount hasn't really decreased either even though the company got slammed pretty hard the last few years.

Back