Amplifier Question

webdes03

Limp Gawd
About 6 months ago I purchased a bunch of Yamaha equipment in advance of moving into my own place, I'm finally here now and have set everything up.

My amplifier, the RX-V465 supports 7.1, however the output for the sides is a preamp out. I had originally had only purchased everything for 5.1, but then my rear speakers showed up on a sale so I bought another set to bump up to 7.1.

All I need is an amplifier, no processing or anything, but I'm a bit lost on what to get, I'm not sure Yamaha makes stand alone power amps for the home.

I do have the YST-SW216 powered subwoofer, and looked at using the amplifier in that, but then I loose the subwoofer control as I'd have to hook the sub up to the preamp outs for the surrounds and rely solely on the crossover.

Any thoughts?

About 6 months ago I purchased a bunch of Yamaha equipment in advance of moving into my own place, I'm finally here now and have set everything up.

My amplifier, the RX-V465 supports 7.1, however the output for the sides is a preamp out. I had originally had only purchased everything for 5.1, but then my rear speakers showed up on a sale so I bought another set to bump up to 7.1.

All I need is an amplifier, no processing or anything, but I'm a bit lost on what to get, I'm not sure Yamaha makes stand alone power amps for the home.

I do have the YST-SW216 powered subwoofer, and looked at using the amplifier in that, but then I loose the subwoofer control as I'd have to hook the sub up to the preamp outs for the surrounds and rely solely on the crossover.

Any thoughts?

i looked at your sub,it doesn't work that way, the speaker inputs you have there are for line level input and pass thought, basically you take you main channels, run em into there, the sub picks up its signal without using any of your receivers power, and then passes that power onto your main speakers, the "input 2' will not send amplified sounds back out.

sorry to say but by way of yahama, the only ~100w 2 channel amp they sell is 1.2k$ on amazon and you probably dont want to use that to drive rear surrounds... ;)

honestly, if you really wanted 7.1 you should have grabbed the RX-V567, as the only difference is the addition of the 2 extra amplified surround channels. this receiver (465) "supports" 7.1 but it looks like it was added only to help the receiver support HDMI specs. it really is just a 5.1....

that said, you might be able to keep looking around and find a 100w x2 amp, on the cheap. but it might be more than if you had just gotten the 567 instead...

Back