An alternative to XP's built-in wireless connectivity?

dep01

Limp Gawd
Is there software that I can use as an alternative to manage/connect to wireless networks? Xp's built-in software leaves a bit to be desired.. I had a USB wireless network card that came with software that replaced XPs stuff, but it was specific to the network card. Is there software out there that can be used universally, regardless of the type of network card?

cheers,
dep

What are you trying to do? What more do you need your wireless card to do? Let us know more and we can try and help.

Not freeware. You can use somthing like Odyssey Client v4.0 which supports most wireless network cards, but it is way overkill for a home user.

I'm just trying to capture the basic functionality of XP's built-in functionality. To scan for and display available wireless networks in my area, entering/saving WEP passwords, etc. XP's, for some reason, randomly "drops" and "restores" the wireless connection every now and then. I always get this "Wireless Connection Unavailable.... Wireless connection EXCELLENT!" with XP, and it's annoying. When I was using 3rd party software with my last wireless adaptor, it never did that.

I'm just using a fairly generic PCMCIA 802.11b NIC.

i think it's time to get a macbook.

dep

Did you install SP2? I find the native wireless config in XP sp2 excellent...I prefer it over 3rd party clients. Use it on several rigs...and I mixed wireless cards often, and travel around to many different wireless networks all the time.

The problem of jumping from one WLAN to another...is that unfortunately most people don't get the concept of changing that default SSID. So you end up with 8 trillion WLANs broadcasting Linksys or Nutgear. Once you connect to one..your wireless config remembers it..and will naturally connect again if it can.

dep01 said:
I'm just trying to capture the basic functionality of XP's built-in functionality. To scan for and display available wireless networks in my area, entering/saving WEP passwords, etc. XP's, for some reason, randomly "drops" and "restores" the wireless connection every now and then. I always get this "Wireless Connection Unavailable.... Wireless connection EXCELLENT!" with XP, and it's annoying. When I was using 3rd party software with my last wireless adaptor, it never did that.

dep

dep01 said:

dep

Sure why not, money isn't worth anything anymore right?

Try getting a higher quality NIC?

As mentioned above, if you're pre-SP2, upgrade to that first. The old wireless client blows.

Another thing it might be is Power Management turning off the card when it thinks it's not in use. Way around this is to open network connection, then right click on the wireless adapter and choose properties. Click configure, then power management. Then uncheck the box that says "Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power". You might also be having trouble with your connection due to external interference: cordless phones, large appliances, speakers, computer monitors, marble tile/counters, excessive other elextronic devices in close proximity. If any of these thinga are present, try to move both your computer/adapter and the WAP at least 3 feet away from them. Also try unplugging power to a cordless phone if you have one nearby, etc. If the WAP is on the floor or in a desk, move it up or put it ontop of the desk or something. Check the list of available wireless networks. Are there more than just yours? if so, they might be trying to broadcast on the same channel. Try changing the channel on your WAP to somethign far away from what the others are broadcasting at---1 or 11 would be good to try.

Something is causing it to drop, and you just need to track down what it is.

WZC is the way to go on XP clients. (there's no reason not to be running XP SP2). There are some other tools available that add wireless functionality to older Windows versions (think W2K) that might work though.

uzor said:
As mentioned above, if you're pre-SP2, upgrade to that first. The old wireless client blows.

Another thing it might be is Power Management turning off the card when it thinks it's not in use. Way around this is to open network connection, then right click on the wireless adapter and choose properties. Click configure, then power management. Then uncheck the box that says "Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power". You might also be having trouble with your connection due to external interference: cordless phones, large appliances, speakers, computer monitors, marble tile/counters, excessive other elextronic devices in close proximity. If any of these thinga are present, try to move both your computer/adapter and the WAP at least 3 feet away from them. Also try unplugging power to a cordless phone if you have one nearby, etc. If the WAP is on the floor or in a desk, move it up or put it ontop of the desk or something. Check the list of available wireless networks. Are there more than just yours? if so, they might be trying to broadcast on the same channel. Try changing the channel on your WAP to somethign far away from what the others are broadcasting at---1 or 11 would be good to try.

Something is causing it to drop, and you just need to track down what it is.

interesting, the power management thing might be the problem i was having with mine,

Back