an HDMI to DVI cable OR an HDMI cable + DVI adapter?

BA005

Weaksauce
I need to connect my PS3 to the Dell 2407WFP and I know that there are basically 2 ways to do it.

option 1: HDMI to DVI cable
option 2: regular HDMI cable with a DVI adapter on the end.

Some people say that when using option 1, some picture quality is lost and that using a DVI adapter on an HDMI cable is much better. But other people say there is no difference.

What is the truth?

Also should I get more expensive cables/adapters with gold plated plugs? Again some people say it makes a difference and some say it doesn't. Can a $5 cable really be exactly the same quality as a $100 cable?

Again, what is the truth?

Also, what's the deal with number of pins in a DVI cable? Should I get one with a minimum number of pins or something?

Please advise. Thanks a lot guys.

Same thing. Cheap cables work fine.

If the signal arrives at the screen, then it's going to look as good as it'll ever look.

If it were an analog signal transfer, it'd be a different story.

Thanks. So cheap cables work fine.

What about the difference between option 1 and 2 that I mentioned?

Sorry, I meant "same thing" in regards to the first question. I'd go with a single HDMI > DVI cable because I hate adapters, but that's just me.

Thanks vexeus, that's helpful.

What about the number of pins on the DVI plug? Do I need one with 24 pins? And it must be DVI-D right?

Sorry, I know very little about DVI !!

Picture quality is never diminished on a digital signal over cheap cables. It either gets the signal or it doesn't.

Thats like saying the monster gold plated USB cable transfers songs with much higher quality to my ipod than the cheapo USB cable.

Option 2 has the ability to use hdmi input tv/monitor (in the future) while option 1 does not.

Option 2 carries digital audio in the hdmi cable part but option 1 does not.

Option 2 has the ability to use hdmi input tv/monitor (in the future) while option 1 does not.

Option 2 carries digital audio in the hdmi cable part but option 1 does not.

This is very true. Neither in regards to picture quality, but something to consider for futureproofing regardless.

Check out: http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102 for the HDMI > DVI or HDMI > HDMI cables. Second row from the bottom in the middle for both types of cables. I'm sure they'd have an adapter too if that's the route you want to go.

DVI-D (digital) is what you would need. DVI-A is analog, DVI-I is both.

Back